Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

6 hours ago, michel123456 said:

Yes it used to be somewhere near the smilies button. Now it appears as a <>"code" button. See screenshot below.

Our options are different. I've confirmed now on several browsers. The button is there for me on each of the following: Chrome, M$ Edge, and Safari.

This might be as simple as you attempting to clear cache. Or, when refreshing attempt a hard refresh instead of a quick one (ctrl+F5 on windows or Command+R on iOS).

Sorry I can't be of more help, but our views of the editor window options are definitely not the same. The button is still there when I test.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:00 PM, iNow said:

Our options are different. I've confirmed now on several browsers. The button is there for me on each of the following: Chrome, M$ Edge, and Safari.

This might be as simple as you attempting to clear cache. Or, when refreshing attempt a hard refresh instead of a quick one (ctrl+F5 on windows or Command+R on iOS).

Sorry I can't be of more help, but our views of the editor window options are definitely not the same. The button is still there when I test.

I had the button once. It disappeared lately. I wonder maybe it is related to the fact that moderators have restrained my posting abilities: I cannot post in the Relativity subforum.

2 minutes ago, michel123456 said:

I wonder maybe it is related to the fact that moderators have restrained my posting abilities: I cannot post in the Relativity subforum

An interesting hypothesis, but one which strikes me as extremely unlikely given the way the text editor is handled by forum software. Either way, I'm only able to speculate at this time as to root cause and have no way of validating. 

16 hours ago, iNow said:

An interesting hypothesis, but one which strikes me as extremely unlikely given the way the text editor is handled by forum software. Either way, I'm only able to speculate at this time as to root cause and have no way of validating. 

Anyway the browser pays no role. I logged in with IE, Chrome & Mozilla & it changed nothing.

10 hours ago, Bartholomew Jones said:

Did somebody answer the OPs question about a picture for the avatar?

Any response would be moot since the forum software has changed. The picture can be changed in your profile (click on your user name, select profile. In the upper right there’s something that says “cover photo”. I think that’s where you can upload a picture)

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ahmet said:

@Sensei expresses that when anyone announce/advertise his/her website here ,it would be  risk for the security of that website.

so,does this forum limits shares on personal websites because of this ?

It’s not a security risk, as such. It’s to keep spammers away, who would only be posting so that links to their site appeared and improve their search-engine ranking. Such posts would not tend to contribute to any discussion. It’s not our function to drive traffic to others’ sites. Annoying and obtrusive, as iNow says.

As the rules say, if it’s not commercial, it’s OK to put in your signature. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just noted some possible confusion in another thread regarding the quote function, I was not involved but I did spot a possible reason. I do not know if this applies to all browsers or platforms. I will borrow a post from @swansont above to illustrate; here is a screenshot from the post above:

image.thumb.png.03b37ca7de9588a3b6ccc1097bd8dfc5.png

If I quote a part of Ahmet's statement from Swansont's post it will look like Swansont said it instead of Ahmet:

On 12/19/2020 at 4:10 PM, swansont said:

risk for the security

Anyone know if this is an intended feature that serves a purpose? 

Note that if I instead include some of Swansont's test the nestled quotes seems OK:

On 12/19/2020 at 4:10 PM, swansont said:
On 12/19/2020 at 10:48 AM, ahmet said:

expresses that when anyone announce/advertise his/her website here ,it would be  risk for the security of that website.

so,does this forum limits shares on personal websites because of this ?

It’s not a security risk, as such

Here is a screenshot of the quote, in the unlikely case that this observation of mine depends on my browser or other aspects of my local system

image.png.4a35fd59c12dad5dbc141d720a7d1e86.png

and

image.png.0a18d6fbeb896c364c8ca30196257cec.png

When I use the quote function on a post I only see the words of the person I’m quoting. 

What are people doing to quote one person from someone else’s post? Is this a copy-paste issue? Or is this using the “quote multiple posts” function

2 hours ago, Ghideon said:

risk for the security

I just highlighted and quoted  from your quote within Ghideon's post above. It attributes the words to be from Ghideon instead of you.

Edited by zapatos

3 hours ago, Ghideon said:

I just noted some possible confusion in another thread regarding the quote function, I was not involved but I did spot a possible reason. I do not know if this applies to all browsers or platforms. I will borrow a post from @swansont above to illustrate; here is a screenshot from the post above: [...]

I've noticed the same bug. Thanks for pointing it out.

The old software acted like that as well.

I did found out quite recently that if you leave a page with stuff, perhaps but not necessarily including quotes, in the input editor

and go to another page of the same thread

The editor clears but hides your stuff.
So you must first click in the editor box, before you do anything else on arrival at page 3,  from say page 5,  to pick up another point.
It can get quite tricky to assemble answers this way and is very easy to loose a substantial amount of input work.

I also note that if you change page with the quote function as the first thing in your edit box, the software sometimes chops the first bit out or reassigns the author of the quote.

I look back at a recent post, which is made a nonsense by just this effect I did not spot before I hit the reply button.

Other forums have some even  more unwieldy procedures.
So on balance, frustrating as it sometimes is, the SF model is still better than most.

Edited by studiot

Keep in mind nobody at SFN has anything to do with the forum software. It comes from elsewhere. At best, admins can config a few buttons here and there, but not make changes that would fix this quote bug you found (unless perhaps a fix has been deployed within a new software version which is still pending manual download... it’s possible an admin here is needed to initiate that process). 

• 6 months later...

Just a quick thank you to the mod who moved my political cartoon,  which I had posted in the general Jokes thread before my site explorations had discovered a political humor thread.   Kindness and assistance to this newbie much appreciated.   (this post can be deleted, once read by the relevant party,  if it minimizes clutter) 

Cheers. 

7 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Just a quick thank you to the mod who moved my political cartoon,  which I had posted in the general Jokes thread before my site explorations had discovered a political humor thread.   Kindness and assistance to this newbie much appreciated.   (this post can be deleted, once read by the relevant party,  if it minimizes clutter) 

Cheers. 

One of our members suggested it via the report post function. The system worked as envisioned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 5:03 AM, swansont said:

Any response would be moot since the forum software has changed. The picture can be changed in your profile (click on your user name, select profile. In the upper right there’s something that says “cover photo”. I think that’s where you can upload a picture)

In case anyone wonders,  the "cover photo" option does NOT load your avatar pic.   It just provides a pic at the top of your profile page.   I cannot find an option for loading an avatar pic.   

26 minutes ago, TheVat said:

In case anyone wonders,  the "cover photo" option does NOT load your avatar pic.   It just provides a pic at the top of your profile page.   I cannot find an option for loading an avatar pic.   

Click on the little icon bottom left of your profile picture

1050160773_avatarsettings.PNG.6f260b5f2e1dcea9f413c04fbbb8b9bc.PNG

Thank you SJ.   That doesn't work (and it's on the top left,  on my photo) .   That just allows adding or removal of the profile page photo.   I wonder if this is a function restricted for newer members?  

Edited by TheVat

13 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Thank you SJ.   That doesn't work (and it's on the top left,  on my photo) .   That just allows adding or removal of the profile page photo.   I wonder if this is a function restricted for newer members?  

Your profile pic is your avatar. As you can see here. I'm sure a mod can sort it. Have you tried putting the picture up, then logging out, then in? It might need to do that to update the threads.

avatar1.thumb.PNG.854455c570a67b8e1014e37d27f2d5b7.PNG

Edited by StringJunky

Thanks, Swanson.  Burp.  Now the profile page shows the editable avatar pic, with the editing button on the bottom left as String had described.  And thanks again, String. 

I logged on this session with a Windows desktop, and everything worked as described.  All the trouble I was having was on a somewhat aged Chrome tablet, so I now wonder if the glitch was with me. 

Next lesson (which I hope to master through self-guided study):  cropping that stupid monkey so it comes out right and you can all enjoy his terrific hairdo.