Best classical music

blike

impossible to say really, so many of them. dvorak's 9th symphony sounded really good live. then u also have rachmninov's (rachmaninoff however u wanna spell it) 3rd piano concerto. and his rhapshody on the theme by paganini as well. Chopin's and Listz's paino music is always brilliant to listen. Mozart's work are as always precision in itself. and Bach's multiple voice contrapuntal pieces are a joy to listen to....

So , its really hard to choose. :(

Sorry to be so mainstream, but I have to hand it to that Mozart fellow.

Beethoven, Orff and Wagner are favourites. They can really bang out a good tune :P

John Williams is rather ace, as is David Arnold. Nubuo Uematsu is a star.

impossible to say really, so many of them. dvorak's 9th symphony sounded really good live. then u also have rachmninov's (rachmaninoff however u wanna spell it) 3rd piano concerto. and his rhapshody on the theme by paganini as well. Chopin's and Listz's paino music is always brilliant to listen. Mozart's work are as always precision in itself. and Bach's multiple voice contrapuntal pieces are a joy to listen to....

Very nicely said, bloodhound. That's pretty much my list too.

it's rachmaninoff :P

and yes, rach 3 is incredible. i have a cd with rach himself playing his 4 piano concertos and rhapsody on a theme of paganini with the philadelphia orchestra in the 1920s and 30s. truly amazing.

you know how just about every recording of rach 3 is 45-60 minutes long? when rach plays it's 34:07. yes, after the nice little introduction and the orchestra comes in for the melody those arpeggios make it sounds like he grew a few extra hands.

still, i must say i prefer rach 2, just for the first 2 minutes of it. a few years ago i decided to learn the first few measures, because hey, after all they are only slow unison chords...except whoops, at the time i didn't have an octave and a half span that included a fifth from my pointer to pinky finger. it's brilliant how rach finds ways to make things difficult.

it's rachmaninoff :P

and yes' date=' rach 3 is incredible. i have a cd with rach himself playing his 4 piano concertos and rhapsody on a theme of paganini with the philadelphia orchestra in the 1920s and 30s. truly amazing.

[/quote']

out of topic, but i would like to listen to those cds, i pmed you. cheers

Mussorgsky, Night on bare mountain.

Holst, the planets (I think that counts).

March of the Hebrew slaves (not sure who it`s by tho`?)

and the best of the bests has to be, J.S.Bach`s Toccata and Fugue in D minor (it has to be D minor as it sounds more sinister, the others are ok too, but D minor has the edge!)

edit: can modern classics be considered here?

Mussorgsky' date=' Night on bare mountain.

Holst, the planets (I think that counts).

March of the Hebrew slaves (not sure who it`s by tho`?)

and the best of the bests has to be, J.S.Bach`s Toccata and Fugue in D minor (it has to be D minor as it sounds more sinister, the others are ok too, but D minor has the edge!)

edit: can modern classics be considered here?[/quote']

boo, d minor is too cliched.

Canon by Pachelbel.

Bach - All of it. :)

I once heard Bach on a huge organ nothing like it, they played Toccata :D .

Morning Symphony by Grieg.

HOTMK by Grieg.

Some of the slavonic dances by whatsisname :embarass:.

Johan Strauss, especially Blue Danube, Pizzicato Waltz, perpetual motion,

But I've got the New Years Concert performance and I like em all.

Cheers.

Edit:

P.S.

I like a lot more besides but that's what comes of the top of my head.

Don't forget to try the east a bit for classical as well. Out of the Europeans, boy do I love Bach... You know he's credited in books on consciousness for a profound, perhaps the most, "musical information"? That's sweeeet...

• 1 year later...

An old threat to revive, but I've only just been pointed to it and it seems like a good one...

I love Beethoven's string quarters, I find them very relaxing in particular to drive to. But my all time favourite piece would have to be Dvorak's Cello Concerto in b minor.

Edit: erm, I meant thread, not threat... I have a headache :'(

I would have to agree with ecoli in that Pictures at an Exhibition is a great piece. I also like Carmina Burana, Four Scottish Dances by Arnold, Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral by Wagner, Children's March by Grainger (great english horn stuff), and Enigma Variations among others.