Why "The God Particle"? [Answered]

In mainstream media the Higgs boson is often referred to as the "God particle," from a 1993 book on the topic; the sobriquet is strongly disliked by many physicists, who regard it as inappropriate sensationalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_Boson

Lederman explains in the book why he gave the Higgs boson the nickname "The God Particle":

This boson is so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our final understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive, that I have given it a nickname: the God Particle. Why God Particle? Two reasons. One, the publisher wouldn't let us call it the Goddamn Particle, though that might be a more appropriate title, given its villainous nature and the expense it is causing. And two, there is a connection, of sorts, to another book, a much older one...

Posted Today, 09:08 PM

In mainstream media the Higgs boson is often referred to as the "God particle," from a 1993 book on the topic; the sobriquet is strongly disliked by many physicists, who regard it as inappropriate sensationalism.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Higgs_Boson

Lederman explains in the book why he gave the Higgs boson the nickname "The God Particle":

This boson is so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our final understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive, that I have given it a nickname: the God Particle. Why God Particle? Two reasons. One, the publisher wouldn't let us call it the Goddamn Particle, though that might be a more appropriate title, given its villainous nature and the expense it is causing. And two, there is a connection, of sorts, to another book, a much older one...

Goddamn ? --> wiktionary.org/wiki/goddamn does mean God Man , but it's an expression of anger, surprise, or frustration (vulgar)

And finally this GodMan in its story confirm an God's creation?

Eh, what? Other than dyslexia, how was that connection made?

Eh ?

I saw something about God in 1.

From wiki:

1. (pejorative) Damned by God.
  2. (vulgar, offensive) Used as an intensifier.

And yes after I have substituted Damned by man.

Damned by God = The man who condemns

Edited by Arnaud Antoine ANDRIEU

The term "God particle" should be made against the law. The Higgs boson says nothing about God. It was a rather stupid term made up by a reporter as stated early.

Eh ?

I saw something about God in 1.

From wiki:

1. (pejorative) Damned by God.
  2. (vulgar, offensive) Used as an intensifier.

And yes after I have substituted Damned by man.

Damned by God = The man who condemns

If you substitute the word "damned" by "flavoured" and the word "God" by "salt and vinegar" you end up with a reasonable description of a popular variety of potato based snack.

But that doesn't really help much.

Anyway "damned" in definition 1 is an adjective or the past participle of a verb and Man is a noun so you plainly can't substitute one by the other without changing the whole meaning.

The reason they wanted to call it the goddamn particle is that they knew they wouldn't get away with some of the other (even more) rude words.

i'm curious as to what gave the right to the reporter to name it to begin with,

higgs thought it existed decades ago, he should be the one to officially name it.

There is today some debate about the naming.

You can read more about this on the BBC website and on my blog.

There is no offical naming process. What happens is that a few of the earlier papers will refer to something by a name and this then gets picked up and used in later papers. The community decides to use that name and a convention is born.

The God Particle --> wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Particle (there is nothing on wiki about it)

I wondered why this name if it is only evidence of a creator.

The scientists have confirmed a creator god?

Thanks.

the Higs Boson gives particles mass and has nothing to do with a God. It was called the God particle by someone and it has unfortunately stuck, causing many an argument with the religious eccentrics whom only took it for name value.

!

Moderator Note

The staff at first was unsure of the proper place for this thread. After further deliberation, it was concluded that the proper place for this thread is the Trash Can. Thread moved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.