Need Help with Atmospheric Research...

G Bronson

Hey,

So I'm doing this research/internship deal -- long story short I told the professor my knowlege of Atmospheric Science was very limited. I have to devise a study to test a hypothesis (or three), but am having a very hard time finding a testable hypothesis. I purchased an atmospheric science textbook (which I would need for next year), and all I have come up with is the following:

pressure= temperature X density X constant

air pressure ~ temperature X density

This expression says that the pressure of the
gas is proportional to its density, as long as its
temperature does not change.

This daily (diurnal)
fluctuation of pressure appears to be due primarily to
the absorption of solar energy by ozone in the upper atmosphere
and by water vapor in the lower atmosphere. The
warming and cooling of the air creates density oscillations
known as thermal (or atmospheric) tides that show up
small pressure changes near the earth’s surface.

usually indicates clearing weather or fair
weather, whereas a steady drop in atmospheric pressure (a
falling barometer) often signals the approach of a storm with
inclement weather.

I'm having a hard time turning anything into a testable hypothesis. The prof said I could use either a pressure sensor or a temperature gauge (thermal camera), though I haven't asked if I could use both or could use some other sort of input such as NOAA data.

He gave me the example of a former student who was using a CO2 gauge, with the hypothesis that CO2 levels around leaves of trees would be lower during the day because of photosynthesis.

If anyone can help me, or point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The pressure is also affected by changes in volume or vice versa.

PV=nRT

n is the molar amount of substance and R is the gas law constant, these might be ignored.

The cause of atmospheric pressure is the force of gravity upon the the mass of air on earth.

Being an open system, high pressure atmosphere will be inclined to move into the region of a lower pressure region until the pressure is equalized.

Air will move more quickly at higher altitudes because it is less dense and experiences less friction. It is less dense because it occupies more volume because of the change in gravitational pressure.

. . . Anyways, atmospheric pressure changes are usually a dynamic of precipitation. When water condenses to a liquid form it must release the thermal energy which allow it to become gaseous. This thermal energy will increase pressure and thereby the volume. The volumetric change will make the air less dense. It will rise.

But looking at that gaseous water from the other direction you might think of it as being cold thereby dense. So it would have more pressure. It won't stay like that forever.

Fast barometric changes are indications of convective storms. Hurricanes have low barometric pressure in the center. This sucks air inward.

The atmosphere is also likely affected by the tidal forces of lunar gravity. I'm not sure how much difference this makes but I've had difficult time pinning down one barometric reading from another. There are many factors involved. Annotated are easier to read. Meteorologists use tools like hodographs.

Edited by vampares

• 2 months later...

It is very important to know our atmosphere, not only for weather, climate

research and telecommunications , but also for geophysicist that study earthquake, by example, before a major earthquake the air becomes ionized, but storms and

auroras also contributes to the ionized air and i hope that in the future wil be

better understood and taught to the general public.