Auto Oxidation & Reduction Reactions

Parshotam

Chlorine reacts with water to form hydrochloric acid and hypochlorous acid. In this reaction, chlorine oxidizes as well reduces hence it is known as self or auto oxidation-reduction reaction.

Cl2 + H2O → HCl + HOCl

Solution of chlorine in water is strong oxidizing agent and in this solution HOCl usually acts as oxidizing agent. This is because in HOCl, chlorine has an oxidation number is +1 and has a strong attraction for electrons. The bleaching action of chlorine is also due to same reason, i.e first of all chlorine forms hypochlorous acid ( HOCl ) with water which then oxidizes coloured compound.

OK, I was already getting bored of the pointless scraps of information, but this one is a lot worse.

It's just wrong.

Auto oxidation is a completely different process.

and this

Cl2 + H2O → HCl + HOCl

is a disproportionation reaction.

Chlorine is soluble in water (which solution is called Chlorine Water) and this loses its yellow colour on standing in sunlight, due to the formation of a mixture of Hypochlorous Acid and Hydrochloric Acid.

Cl2 + H2O ==> HOCl + HCl

I simply ask what is the oxiation states of chlorine in both compounds ? , chlorine is oxidized as well as reduced, i.e + 1 and -1

Chlorine is soluble in water (which solution is called Chlorine Water) and this loses its yellow colour on standing in sunlight, due to the formation of a mixture of Hypochlorous Acid and Hydrochloric Acid.

Cl2 + H2O ==> HOCl + HCl

I simply ask what is the oxiation states of chlorine in both compounds ? , chlorine is oxidized as well as reduced, i.e + 1 and -1

And I simply ask why you didn't look up the meaning of autoxidation before posting about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoxidation

Or, having been told what the reaction really is, why you didn't look up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disproportionation

Edited by John Cuthber

!

Moderator Note

Parshotam,

I am aware that you have been warned about this before or had it mentioned to you, but you really do have to work on your clarity and your soap-box like posts. It gives people nothing to respond to.

Furthermore, if you are going to insist on copy-pasting things from other websites, you must remember to attribute your quotes, etc. to their proper sources. Anything less is plagiarism and it will absolutely not be tolerated.