Calculating weight on different planets

I weigh 80kg here on earth.

Suppose I travel to a planet that is twice the size of earth, and twice the mass. Assuming an honest scale, what would I weigh on this planet? The knee-jerk response of 160kg is almost certainly wrong — that would make sense if the planet were earth-sized but still twice the mass.

But if we start from there and use Newton's (or is it Hookes' ?) inverse square law, then for a planet twice the size, twice the mass of earth wouldn't the scale read (½)² = ¼th of 160kg, or 40kg? Intuitively, that doesn't make much sense. I understand the universe is under no obligation to satisfy my intuition, but am I even right in my calculations?

Use [math]g = \frac{-GM}{r^2}[/math] to calculate the surface gravity of the planet you care about. Then just compare that to Earth Norm (~[math]9.8 m/s^2[/math])

Edit: Had to remind myself how to do Latex. Been gone a while.

Edit 2: Looking at your numbers, the 40kg seems right, if I'm doing the math right (albeit, I'm doing it in my head, so I may be off by any number of orders of magnitude).

Edit 3: Actually, kg is a measure of mass, not weight, and your mass wouldn't change. Your weight (in Newtons) would change by 1/2.

On Earth, you weigh [math] 80 kg \times 9.81 m/s^2 = 784.8 Newtons[/math].

On a planet twice the mass & twice the radius of Earth, you should weigh 392.4 Newtons.

Edited by Greg H.

Thanks, Greg.

I'm beginning to think 40kg is right. We were given (twice the radius, twice the mass) as you might find for Kepler-11b in http://kepler.nasa.gov/Mission/discoveries/, so it's a real question.

OTOH, if you think about it, if a [earth-like] planet is twice the radius of earth it should have 8 times the mass of earth, leading to an attractive force of 8/4 what you would have on earth, so my 80kg on earth becomes 160kg on this other planet (not Kepler-11b).

So the reason I weigh only 40kg on Kepler-11b is that it's about 1/4th the density of earth. It's sort of a "popcorn planet".

Twice the radius and the mass would mean that the planet's density decreases with size. If you take a similar composition and "compactness", hence density, then gravity increases like the radius.

Small asteroids and small moons are known to be fluffy, with density well below ice.

As Enthalpy says, it's the density that matters. You can actually calculate surface gravity based on density using the following:

[math]g = \frac{4\pi}{3} Gpr[/math]

Where [math]p[/math] is the density of the object at radius [math]r[/math].

Since [math] p = \frac{mass}{volume} [/math] you can compute the change in the surface gravity based on the changes in volume and mass of the planet as compared to earth.

• 2 weeks later...

As Enthalpy says, it's the density that matters. You can actually calculate surface gravity based on density using the following:

[math]g = \frac{4\pi}{3} Gpr[/math]

Where [math]p[/math] is the density of the object at radius [math]r[/math].

Since [math] p = \frac{mass}{volume} [/math] you can compute the change in the surface gravity based on the changes in volume and mass of the planet as compared to earth.

'Density of the object. . .' What is the effect of moving from the object's surface into an orbit? I assume we just apply the inverse square rule, right?.