Should Iraqi-Americans be allowed to vote?

john5746

Should this be allowed?

Allowed by whom? It's their country they should be free to do as they please with their country and their government.

If they want to allow Iraqi's outside of the country to vote in their election nobody has the right to tell them that's not allowed. imho.

I think the change of govenment is viewed important enough to allow retroactive eligibility. The reasoning is a great many citizens left Iraq due to the conditions, who still have a right to vote and then return. In reality, I think the reasoning is a great number of the Iraq population resent the hostile occupation forces and the ex-pats may provide an edge in the voting. There is a real fear that Hussein will be voted back in, which would devastate Bush and Blair. It may even lead to an impeachment of Bush, given his current popularity.

There is a real fear that Hussein will be voted back in, which would devastate Bush and Blair. It may even lead to an impeachment of Bush, given his current popularity.

If there is a legitamate fear that that would happen, there needs to be an equal fear that the Bush administration would rig it so it doesn't happen. Paranoia = The sum of all fears. :)

There is a real fear that Hussein will be voted back in, which would devastate Bush and Blair. It may even lead to an impeachment of Bush, given his current popularity.

If the Iraqis want Hussein back in power, then who is Bush/Blair to deny them. I dislike Hussein as much as the next guy, but the Iraqi's should still have the right to decide who there leader is...even if it someone we don't like.

As Hussien is not standing as a candidate anyone afraid of that happening needs to calm down, steer clear of the coffee and relax.

If the Iraqis want Hussein back in power, then who is Bush/Blair to deny them. I dislike Hussein as much as the next guy, but the Iraqi's should still have the right to decide who there leader is...even if it someone we don't like.

Why do they fear that the Iraqi's would vote this monster back in? My understanding is that most Iraqi's despise him...

As Hussien is not standing as a candidate anyone afraid of that happening needs to calm down, steer clear of the coffee and relax.

The insurgents have candidates. Some of the 244 parties stand for a return to the old regime. It's not my concern, Falah al-Naqib was the nervous one. I think he's got a slightly better handle on events that, say, you.

Why do they fear that the Iraqi's would vote this monster back in? My understanding is that most Iraqi's despise him...

To the vast majority of a population, the leader is just the leader. To put it another way, you could say George Bush Jnr carpet bombed Basra killing thousands and George Bush Snr bombed the retreating Iraq army killing over 2000 solders who had already surrendered. Perspective, national pride and tolerance are three reasons why there is a base of Iraqis who don't particularly mind Hussein.

If one is born to American parents, even if he/she was not born inside the USA, they would be citizens of the USA--absent any renunciation of their citizenship.

I think they would be elegible to vote in US elections even if they had never set foot inside the country. :rolleyes: