Atheist Prison Stats: 0.2% is wrong...

ydoaPs

Can we also draw the conclusion that the religious tenets these prisoners based their morality on failed miserably? It's always bothered me that much of religious morality is based on the threat of eternal punishment, whereas an atheist's morality is much more likely to be based on doing the right thing for the right reasons.

I've always believed I shouldn't rob/cheat/kill my neighbor because it's not how intelligent, compassionate, cooperative humans treat each other if they want to prosper. I don't do it because a god will punish me forever if I don't.

That may be because religious people believe that they can gain absolution by prayer and confession so doing things which they know to be wrong is less of an issue.

Of course, you also have to accept that a large fraction of the prison population are there because they are essentially dishonest, so asking them about their religious beliefs might not get an honest answer.

Also, if I were in jail I might think that going to chapel on Sunday was more interesting than being in my cell so I'd pretend to be God squad and also I'd do my best to fake the idea that "I was a lost soul but now I got religion"- so you can let me out on parole now.

To be fair, I think it is very likely that self-proclaimed Atheists enjoy better demographics. Probably more conversion towards religion than away in prison and I think they probably under report as well(I would try to fit in and wouldn't trust anonymity). All that said, the data is still very much in favor of atheism.

Can we also draw the conclusion that the religious tenets these prisoners based their morality on failed miserably? It's always bothered me that much of religious morality is based on the threat of eternal punishment, whereas an atheist's morality is much more likely to be based on doing the right thing for the right reasons.

I've always believed I shouldn't rob/cheat/kill my neighbor because it's not how intelligent, compassionate, cooperative humans treat each other if they want to prosper. I don't do it because a god will punish me forever if I don't.

Perhaps people in prison are there because they either follow the crowd or do not think about consequences. On the other hand ignostics and atheists are frequently not followers, and they have used reason to formulate their beliefs. They also reason that an eye for an eye makes many blind people, and that being kind and forgiving makes a better world. People who think about consequences are less likely to do things that lead them to prison.

Morals differ some from group to group, but many are universal. IMO it is not that religious morality fails that more religious people end up in prison vs atheists compared to general population, it is the failure of prisoners to consider morals important. It is true that religious leaders teach hatred and bigotry, not all, but too many. And religious texts are often contradictory. When people are ruled by emotion, no wonder they forget religious lessons about morality and ruin lives taking an eye for an eye. And, group think usually leads to poor decisions.