Your Parents

coquina

Tell me something about yours - alive or dead.

I want to tell you about my mother. She was born in 1907, she was 42 when I was born.

She was an exceptionally cool and smart lady. Her father was an organist in the UK, she was born in Lancashire moved to Bridge of Allen, Scotland when she was 5, and to Ballymena, Northern Ireland, when she was 10. (If anyone knows about those areas I would like to hear from you.)

When she turned 21, she inherited some money from an aunt. Her parents had arranged a marriage for her with a man she didn't like, so she took her money and immigrated to America, where she became a nurse/governess for a child with rhumatoid arthritis.

When the child grew older and the family no longer required her services, she took the money she had saved, along with her inheritance, and bought a riding stable. That is where she met my dad. After several years they moved to the rural community in which I still live.

OK - this is my favorite "Mom story". The ladies of the neighborhood paid a visit to mom and told her that one of the men was a "peeping tom" - they told mom if she caught him looking in her window, she shouldn't be upset. You have to remember - that this took place in southern Virginia, in the late 40's, prior to air conditioning. No one kept their drapes closed.

Mom was asleep (fully attired) and woke to see 2 eyes peering at her through the window. Because of the warnings, she knew who it was, but because my dad worked night shift, she didn't want him to have the idea that she was helpless in the house... so, she pretended she hadn't seen him, walked serenely around the corner to the kitchen, grabbed a loaded shotgun and bolted out the back door. She snuck to the corner where the guy was lurking and fired the shotgun right over his head.

He headed for the undeveloped lot next door and cut a 3 foot swath through a blackberry thicket. (Now - I know you Brits ain't got a clue - it's the tightest wound brambles you can imagine - with thorns.) The guy didn't go to work for a week, and never peeped in mom's windows again.

Next???

My parents were married to each other at the age of 17. My father was from middle class, he was to be an architect. My mother's family was on welfare. They both dropped out of school and got married - to live on love I guess. The same day my Mother learned she was pregnant, my Father was laid off as a bag boy.

He joined the Air Force and they traveled the world - Japan, England, Germany, and various states. He went to Vietnam when I was 1 year old. After retiring from the Air Force, he got his BA and MA in Business Admin and became an administrator for the local college.

They had 4 children. When my father was in Vietnam, my Mother took care of all 4. She also traveled to Japan alone with 2 boys.

They are living happily ever after currently....

Just had to reply to this...I was born in what is technically Bridge of Allan which is a little town just outside Stirling in Scotland. I also lived just up the road for 3 years in Dunblane (where the awful tragedy took place) when I was just 9-12 years old. Bridge of Allan used to have the most excellent cafe that sold the best ice-cream ever (true old secret Italian recipe)...don't know if it's still there. And Stirling University is really more in Bridge of Allan than Stirling in my humble opinion. As to my parents.....they are just great, Dad's a retired policeman and Mum is a real housewife/mum. Even though we are all grown up intelligent people we still value their advice because they just know what makes each and every one of us tick. :)

Sorry for being late. I didn't want to reply to this because its hard for me to do.

My dad is 65 years old, was born in the USA, and is of Italian descent. He is a vice-president of an electronics systems company. He’s very active for his age, enjoying golfing, biking and tennis. He’s active in church and boy scouts, and can really cook up some great dishes too.

At 45 he met my 33year old mother at a seminar and married her a year later. She was very beautiful and they got along very well since they had all the same interests and he was an only child just like her.

I came along unexpectedly when he was 48 and I remember while growing up that it was he that was with me at all the school functions instead of her. When I was 10 she had enough of me and left. She never wanted kids, made that clear before they were married, and blamed my dad for “misguiding” her life. I haven’t heard from her since. I must have died a hundred times the following two years, but thankfully she didn’t abort me.

He has been the most loving dad anyone could ever ask for. He’s also my best friend. He often puts down his briefcase and just hangs around and watches TV with me although he constantly annoys me by hugging, squeezing, kissing, and general parent stuff in plain view of other people.

He has been seeing a female friend for over two years now and I know they love each other. She is 60, of polish descent, really pretty, and hopefully she will move in with us. We talk almost every day. He wants her too move in, and she does too. I don’t understand why adults take so long to decide what to do. I can decide things in 30 seconds except whether I should have posted here :) . I know they love each other because I asked them separately, not out in the open like my dad would have. :)

Anyway, that’s him.

Bettina

My mom and dad were 16 and 17 when the Great Depression hit. They did pretty well for themselves, getting married about three years later in 1932 and eventually having 6 kids.

Dad was an electrician at the Naval yards in LA during WWII and used to tell a story about having to shut the power off on a whole destroyer in drydock because the Coast Guard ordered a blackout and threatened to open fire on dad's ship if they didn't douse their lights. He'd shut down everything he could see but missed a spotlight that was pointing away from him out toward the harbor. Figuring the CG wasn't bluffing but baffled as to which light the CG was talking about, dad threw the master switch and plunged the entire ship into darkness with all the workers below decks. Man, they cussed him out.

Mom was the glue for our family. I was the youngest, and she made sure my brothers and sisters and their families got together as often as possible, hosting huge dinner parties for everyone. She was one of those good cooks who would ask you if you wanted more and then gave you another ladle full when you said no. Our house was always full of joy and laughter when the families got together.

We lost them both, mom slowly to cancer and dad quickly to a massive infection. Their is no good way to lose your parents. Dad died about two months before I got married, almost 12 years ago.

I wish I could hug and kiss them both a few more times and tell them thanks for everything.

Both are scientists, and both own at least one medical practice. Mom is a nutritionist, developing a diet plan for diabetics. Dad is was a microbiologist, and a optical physicist, and a medical thermologist. Both are wealthy, and I have been a blessed kid because of that :)

My mom is very much involved in my two little sisters, and that keeps her from focussing on her company too much (something which she wants to change), and my dad is totally focussed on science. I dont know what he would do without working towards it :D

I've got two genuis parent, and well, I got very VERY lucky with them. Ive never had a fight with either of them, I keep my head very level for a teenager if i do say so myself. Gotta love 'em!

Sry this was short and poorly written, but I dont have time

My parents are both civil servants (they work for various agencies of the British government)

My dad and I have a variable relationship - he has a tendency to be impatient and suspicious of people, and will never admit when he's at fault - and although I think he means well at heart he can be difficult to live with. To be fair, when he's in good mood he can be great fun, and he's constantly playfighting with my little brother and sister.

My mum on the other hand is an absolute star; she's always stuck in the middle of things (if I'm not rowing with my dad, you can guarantee my brother or my sister will be), but rarely complains and is incredibly supportive and easy to talk to. She's also a great cook and better at most things than she lets herself believe.

Dad enjoys gardening and has an allotment a few miles from our house where he grows all sorts of fruit and vegetables, quite a lot of which I don't eat :rolleyes:

My mum is an avid reader and also enjoys horse riding, although she's had a few nasty falls of late and has lost her confidence a bit. Neither of them have ever played music but my maternal grandfather was an accomplished singer and my siblings and I seem to have inherited some of his musicality - we all play at least one instrument pretty well.

Just had to reply to this...I was born in what is technically Bridge of Allan which is a little town just outside Stirling in Scotland. I also lived just up the road for 3 years in Dunblane (where the awful tragedy took place) when I was just 9-12 years old. Bridge of Allan used to have the most excellent cafe that sold the best ice-cream ever (true old secret Italian recipe)...don't know if it's still there. And Stirling University is really more in Bridge of Allan than Stirling in my humble opinion. As to my parents.....they are just great, Dad's a retired policeman and Mum is a real housewife/mum. Even though we are all grown up intelligent people we still value their advice because they just know what makes each and every one of us tick. :)

Have you ever heard of Kilbride Church? I think it is near there. My mother's surname was Lockett, and that is where her grandparents were buried. She used to tell me about it, and that there was a tall monument that you could see from the river. I hope I get to see it some day.

my father killed my mother and my 10 year old brother before killing himself. this was when i was 3. my life was spared because i was too young to die
A two line bombshell from our resident chemistry genius doesn't cut it for me. You got my attention, but what about the people who raised you? Was it the state or were you lucky enough to have relatives?

Thanks for reminding me of something that I'm going to do more often.
Your dad will then feel complete, and all his work was worth it. :)

Coquina I don't know Kilbride church but that's just probably because I was a kid....I was born in Bridge of Allan, we moved from the area, then moved back for 2 years when I was 11 years old before moving on again (as a county policeman my Dad got moved around a great deal). What I will say is this...the tall monument you heard of may well be the Wallace monument ...dedicated to William Wallace...aka Braveheart who fought the English at the end of the 13th century and who the Mel Gibson film "Braveheart" is about. He was quite a character and what amuses us here in Scotland is the fact that a 6' 4" character (see his broadsword on display in the monument) was played by Gibson who is all of 5' 9". That said, the film does stir the blood somewhat....I too hope you get to come over here one day. But....if I find the time one day I may very well try to locate Kilbride church and see if I can find any Locketts...??

Coquina I don't know Kilbride church but that's just probably because I was a kid....I was born in Bridge of Allan, we moved from the area, then moved back for 2 years when I was 11 years old before moving on again (as a county policeman my Dad got moved around a great deal). What I will say is this...the tall monument you heard of may well be the Wallace monument ...dedicated to William Wallace...aka Braveheart who fought the English at the end of the 13th century and who the Mel Gibson film "Braveheart" is about. He was quite a character and what amuses us here in Scotland is the fact that a 6' 4" character (see his broadsword on display in the monument) was played by Gibson who is all of 5' 9". That said, the film does stir the blood somewhat....I too hope you get to come over here one day. But....if I find the time one day I may very well try to locate Kilbride church and see if I can find any Locketts...??

No, I know about the Wallace Monument. Mom told me about that too. She told me that when she was a little girl, (she was born in 1907) her dad took her up there, and a man was up there drawing maps of the countryside. Mother asked him why he was doing it, and he said, "Zum day you vill know."

I know a person on another site who works in law enforcement in the Stirling area. His name is Bob McCallum. He was on duty when the Dunblane incident happened.

One of my favorite fantasies has always been that I was adopted. Let's put it this way: Because I read all the time they thought I was strange. Because I questioned things they thought I was rebellious. Because I refused to beat my daughter they thought I was a bad parent.

Talk about a mismatch.

A two line bombshell from our resident chemistry genius doesn't cut it for me. You got my attention, but what about the people who raised you? Was it the state or were you lucky enough to have relatives?

i luckily had my grandparents, who legally adopted me a few years ago. my father is now 79 and my mother 73, but they still are very effective parents, both wise and still very active.

my current father was quite a figure. as a young kid he joined a sort of gang among the local kids. they weren't a bad gang particularly bad though; they were the kind of people who would see the ice truck delivering to people and would would raid it, breaking off a small piece to cool off in the summer. the police hired a beast of a man to try to catch my dad and his friends, but he was never quite fast enough. he was drafted to fight in the south pacific in the second world war when he was 17 (yes i know that wasn't legal but hey, we did a lot of other illegal things as well) and fought at okinawa. when he came back, he got engaged 8 times before he found my mother. some of his fiancees broke up with him, some he broke up with himself. he then went to college and got his PhD, then went into accounting. he didn't like this so he went into teaching. at some point he worked with the world's strongest man, jack walsh, for a few years. he taught high school and college economics and coached many sports teams, including the football team, which he scrimmaged with, often without padding or a helmet. he eventually retired. 2 years later i chose to live with he and my grandmother, and now he has become a great father. he currently writes books in his spare time.

my mother is probably the most selfless person i have ever met. hands down. she has a less exciting history to talk about, but simply put, she is very generous and an overall amazing person.