boiling water with solar power

dragonstar57

I heard recently that in many places much of a person’s time is spent collecting fire wood to heat water for the purpose of sterilization.
I was wondering if a solar oven could be used instead of fire.
post-30241-0-26045900-1373670854_thumb.pngI'm thinking of something like this.

a plastic box with reflective surface with a reflective interior measuring 1Mx1Mx1m and a lid which would be propped open at a 45 degree angle (and is reflective) would this be an effective solar water purifier?

Edited by dragonstar57

I know about solar distlization. I was wondoring if a solar oven would be better for cleaning water of microbial contamination.
woldn't it be more eficient to simply heat it to the point where it kills the microorganisms in the water?

Edited by dragonstar57

Recycle clear PET soda bottles onto fresnel lenses and you would be capable of boiling vast amounts of water, fast, cheap to distribute, by focusing several suns of energy onto a vessel.

But try to buy a fresnel lens from a vendor, and your wallet will be wrung.

Jump to time stamp 2:30---->

The low tech way is to make a parabolic basket from local materials and line it with all foil...cheap solar heating. But, some places do not get enough sun. For them filtering water may be best.