cryptozoology

blike

This stuff has always interested me. What do you guys think about big foot and ol' nessie :)

I watched a really good show on the discovery channel recently. Supposedly they have some DNA from a north american ape that is unidenfitied. They did some good analysis on some of the more popular footage (patterson's) and found some interesting things in the video. They showed where the right thigh of the "creature" shown in the video bulges consistent with some medical condition that would expected in that type of terrain. It was all very interesting.

Personally I think there is some validity to the north american ape. Theres a lot of photographic and video evidence, and with the new hair samples I think theres something to it.

f352.jpg

bigfoot_patterson05.jpg

bigfoot_patterson04.jpg

what do you guys think?

The main argument agains such a creature is that for it to remain undiscovered there would have to be a population so small that it would not be able to sustain itself.

Ime sure that it was mentioned in the show (if I saw the same one) about a Russian expedition into Syberia which killed a yeti (sasquatch, big-foot, same thing in my book) but could not carry the corpse so they simplt burried it.

It is interesting that there are reports of this kind of creature world wide.

In the video of that first picture you have there the breasts of the big-foot actually wobbled and swung around. I doupt a hoaxster would consider disguising himself in a female costume with that degree of detail.

Also, there are people trying to attract big-foots using recorded sound of them, and there have been reports of responses to the calls.

Exciting.

Looks alot like a guy in a monkey suit to me. If it is an ape it's the only one that really shares our form of locomotion. And there doesn't appear to be any fossil ancestors of it around.

Looks alot like a guy in a monkey suit to me. If it is an ape it's the only one that really shares our form of locomotion.

While she/he is certainly bipedal in the video, the motion used when walking is almost impossible for a human to replicate. When they analyzed the video, the lower portion of the leg rotates slightly inward with each step.

From "Just Smoke and Mirors", chapter 6 (Aliens and Monsters)

"Supposedly, despite the asteroid impact that killed every

other large creature on earth, one managed to stay alive in the lake for the intervening seventy million years without evolving. This cannot be taken seriously for several reasons. First, the lake has been shown to be comparatively devoid of large fish. The depth and cold temperature of the lake produces inadequate oxygen to generate and sustain a large or diverse food chain. Simply put, there is not enough food to feed a creature

this size. Secondly, a breeding population would have had to exist

for tens of millions of years in the relatively small lake. Critics claim that the lake somehow opens to the sea. However, why would a creature travel to a warmer ocean to feed, and then return home to a dark, cold lake? Thirdly, Plesiosaurs were air breathers. They slept and rested on land (mostly to keep from being eaten by bigger beasts). So, why have there been no photographs of a sleeping monster? Finally, if humanity

evolved from small upright bipedal hominids to a space faring organisms in just under two million years, why has there been no change in the Plesiosaurs in Lock Ness for seventy million? It would be great to actually find that some how one of the great marine reptiles had somehow survived the mass extinctions of the past seventy million years."

and:

"The year was 1981. Real science was journeying into space; it had put a man on the surface of the moon over a decade before, and now pseudoscience was searching for dinosaurs in Africa.As is often the case with pseudoscience, they found what they had sought. As the group made its way along the Likouala River, they heard a large animal leaping into the water. Near where they believed the noise had occurred, they found a path of broken branches, as well as a number of footprints. Like those who seek the Yeti or the American Bigfoot/Canadian Sasquatch, these

mere stories, rumors and anecdotal accounts, when combined with mysterious footprints are their “proof.” It is also their stock and trade. Fear, often-unexplainable fear, with the sweating palms, and reddening eyes can perhaps best be explained as fear of the unknown."

Bill

Originally posted by DocBill

From "Just Smoke and Mirors", chapter 6 (Aliens and Monsters)

"now pseudoscience was searching for dinosaurs in Africa.

Which brings up another question I've been thinking about. How do we explain images of dinosaurs in ancient artwork? Especially in early chinese art?

Good point, dragons exist in most cultures and have properties common to them that extend to each legend in each country. China in particular has built them into the culture.

Troll, Ogres, Yeti's etc also appear across myth and legend in most cultures. It does point towards the existence of some prehistoric life in living history. At least I'd like to think that is the reason that the legends appear.

Some life obviously did survive whatever killed the dinosaurs, and some still exisits in the same form (no evolution for crocodiles and sharks!) the Coelacanth points to the ability for prehistoric animals to hide up until recent times. I guess it would be possible for a larger creature to have existed long enough to encounter 'modern' man.

We could take the oldest know poem, Beowulf , to be a story based around the hunt of some form of prehistoric man in amongst the primitive tribes in Scandinavia. Tolken for one was a firm believer that there was some truth in myth!

Of course, that is all supposition. I think any 'evidence' would be dubious. But I like the supposition, and I'm inclined to believe it at times. Of course, St George is the patron Saint of England and he is famous for killing a dragon, so I guess I'm predisposed to believe in legend.

Anyone ever seen this? Its a credible story, but the carcass was never identified. Looks a heck of a lot like a plesiosaur..

"In 1977 a Japanese fishing ship caught a large animal carcass in its trawl net near New Zealand.

It was measured, 5 photos of it were shot by a zoologist, and flipper samples taken. For fear of contaminating their fresh supply of fish, the Japanese threw the carcass into the sea. It was 10 m long, weighed 4000 pounds (1814 kg). Its neck was 1.5 m long, its head 45 cm, and the 4 flippers were 1 m in length.

zm1c.jpg

zm1b.jpg

Some people have mentioned that it could have been a basking shark.

plesiosaur.jpg

Dragon myth origin=Comodo Dragon, added wings to the large creature in the far east to enhance the myth, traveled to the west by trade and then was associated with demons, fire and satan. Then behold! A lizard, with added wings, breathing fire, eating flesh and doing evil thingies!

Man eating Gorilla= Comes from mountain gorilla, which in some incidents came in conflict with natives, westerners arrive, hear the myth and make one that it stands besides roads and eats any travelers. Yet the mountain gorilla is a plant eater with little temper.

Yetti= Old chinese myth oh large manlike gorills, traveled to Tibet and was modified. The myth may actually have originated from over 10,000 years ago of a large gorilla like mammal that went extinct (thanks to us). In the 60's it became a fad and was called BIGFOOT.

Godzilla=Holywood, taking dragon myth and enhancing it to the greatest extent.

Loch Ness Monster= In the summers of the Loch Ness, the sun reflects on the water in a way that splits images and multiplies them. So a beaver can look like a long neck. Also theres another 3 meter long fish (which I forgot its name) that can make the effect of the bumps on its back. There is not enough food for such a large species in the Loch...bogus. Anyways, it started in 1933 by a couple who saw a large grey object leave the water looking like a whale, enhanced by the media, and faked by ameteurs, then researched by many REAL scientists...no results found.

Gimme any other myths that I can disprove on google..paleeeease

People do to get animals mixed up. Ever done Chinese lion dancing? The 'lion' has a small horn coming out of it's forehead and eats lettuce. Not to mention it's multicoloured, covered in mirrors and scares demons away.

Still when stuffed platypuses were first brought back to England they were thought to be fakes.

Well, if we do the genetic math, accounting for one new baby pleisiasour every year, and one death (so to maintain a steady population), the beginning stock of at least 24 adults to maintain genetic congruity. Besides, they slept on land to avoing Liopluodon. So if we found one dead on land...

It looks a lot like the cargas of either a basking shark or a Northern Right Wale to me.

Originally posted by DocBill

You wanna really keep demons away. Spit on those you love. That's right. It keeps the devil away. Apparently, old "bi-fircated tail" is alergic to human saliva!

heh, I can see how this works:

man becomes convinced that his wife is satan, so he continues to spit at her until she leaves him. man uses this as proof that wife was satan..... It is kind of like "vampires can be killed by a steak through the heart" while forgetting to point out that "normal people can be killed with a steak through the heart"

Actually this is a Greek thing.

The Puritans used to have a practice they referred to as "Swimming a witch." Any person (ussually a young, unmarried and attractive woman) would be tied and dragged across a pond. If she was still alive, that proved that she was a "witch" as apparentlly they can breathe underwater. If they drowned..oh well, at least they knew.

Funny sideline:-

LSD is a derivative of ergot, a fungus that affects rye grain. Rye grain was the staple crop of the middle ages, and was the staple crop for the settelers in the 'new' world. The witch trials in Salem were just mirrors of similar witchhunts 150/100 years earlier in Europe (see the Witchcraft Acts of 1563 and 1604 in England), before the farmers learnt not to eat the wheat with fungus on it. The fungus giving the person who consumed it enough of a chemical kick to seem possesed, given enough time with the contaminated food source for the chemical to build up.

A quite consice history of documented 'witchhunts' is here:-

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/witchtrial/eis.html

Although local woodcuts in the UK plus the legends of the Witchfinder General and his various methods of detemining a witch have lead to the whole 'dunking a witch' thing. They didn't intend for them to float, they intended for them to sink, suffer and die.

And everyone thinks the English are nice:rolleyes:

ROLF

I just read the case of a man brought to trial in 1337 for failing to produce the Devil as arranged in commercial transaction.

The case was later dismissed, but still,

"give us five crowns and I'll rase the very prince of hell for you"

"oh, go on then"

"And that when the accused failed to bring forth Satan, Mi'Lord"

• 2 weeks later...

Atinymonkey, you saw that show on warewolves haven't you!? Hehe, thought so.

But you forgot to mention the trye grain was grown along with the mushroom (fungus) at the same time, and took many times to eat the rye bread to actually get some holusagenic effect. Usually this would be permanent just like the edternal dream some LSD druggies suffer.

This is because the fungus is largly neutrilised under extreme heat, and the remaining fungus is so minute, it takes a large dose to effect take effect.