What does it look like now?

Mart

Someone said that we're all looking back in time because light takes billions of years to get to us from far away places. Were they right? What would those places look like if we could see them close up?

That's a different question really. It depends whether or not you think there are lots of Earth like planets in our own galaxy (with life forms). I subscribe to the Rare Earth hypothesis. Universe teeming with microbes, but intelligent life even rarer than it is inside government.

Question: That picture scientists show us of the cosmic microwave background, it covers an area many light years across from one edge to the other. Does the entire image show as being 15 billion years ago. Would not the outer edges be farther away then the middle of the image? How can this be or am I looking at it the wrong way. If so how should this image be viewed? Hope someone can understand my reasoning, I'm no scientist.

'']Why would it mean this.

Originally Posted by Ophiolite

The same as everything nearby does 'today', if Big Bang cosmology is correct

From this I reasoned that since there is at least one Earth locally there could be many everwhere.

I really would like to contact in my lifetime with one of those aliens. It certainly must be a mind opening experience. I hope that they will be pacifists and we don't have to wage a war against them

without a doubt, theyll come to earth all peace-loving and then an angry, torch and pitchfork mob will kill their leader, then earth will be either destroyed, or humans will be sold as slaves on the inter-stellar market and earth will be used up for resources. But it would still be an awing experience. :)

I think there could be intellegent life, but theyd either be way too advanced for us to comprehend, or they would be acid spitting dopplegangers waiting for a mammal host race to harbor their eggs!

Notice: this whole post is true, and it would be advisable to stock up on supplies and seek shelter as soon as possible. :)