Refrigerator Not Cooling ....

vja4Him

My roommate tells me that he is a refrigerator expert, and the reason my refrigerators on the patio are not cooling properly is because they are plugged in with an extension cord.

Is there any truth to this? He says the refrigerators are not getting enough power, and will not get cold enough, because they need to plugged into a wall socket.

The patio has a solid roof, and the sides are covered with tarps, so the refrigerators are not exposed to the sun.

We have three refrigerators on the patio: 1) 4.7 cubic feet, 2) 14 cubic feet, 3) 21 cubic feet. The big one is the main problem, and has not been working properly ever since I got it over a year ago (from Craig's List). In the cold weather it will get colder, down to around 40 Degrees F. (4 Degrees C.) when the outside temperature is in the low 20s F. (-7 to -5 Degrees C.). But in the hot weather, it gets up to 70 Degrees F. (21 Degrees C.). The freezer compartment will freeze, but it takes several days or even a week for some items to freeze completely). This fridge has a large computer board that looks like the mother board of a computer.

The medium-sized fridge (14 cubic feet) works pretty good. During the summer I put a few one-quart bottles of ice, which I change out once a week, so it's working ok. The freezer works just fine, and the fridge temperatures maintain an average of around 35 Degrees F. (2 Degrees C.) During the winter, this fridge works perfect!!!

The small fridge, 4.7 cubic feet, is working perfect, and has been for years.

Use a multimeter to measure the voltage in the extension cord.

Be very careful when making voltage measurements. Set multimeter to AC Volts about 200 volt range (different on various meters). Stand on a rubber or plastic mat. Put one hand in your pocket when making measurements. If you need to stabilize the extension cord, tie it down to something, preferably something plastic or rubber. Use only one hand on one of the multimeter leads at a time while making measurements. DO NOT MAKE THESE MEASUREMENTS WITH WATER OR SPILLED BEVERAGE ON THE FLOOR OR AROUND CORD OR REFRIGERATORS. REMOVE ALL BEVERAGES FROM WORK AREA.

I assuming you have one extension cord into which all three refrigerators are plugged.

Make the following measurements on the socket where the refrigerators are plugged:

1) With only a lamp (60 watt light bulb) is plugged into the extension cord.

2) When all three refrigerators are running (the compressors) at the same time.

3) When each refrigerator is running by itself and nothing else is plugged into the extension cord.

You need at lest 115 volts at all times. If you have less than 115 volts, with only the 60 watt light bulb plugged into the extension cord, check the voltage at a socket as close to your circuit breaker as possible. If you have less than 115 volts throughout your house, call your power company and report the voltage. Follow their advice.

If you have 120 volts or more at all times, your extension cord is not the problem.

Otherwise, report what you measure here.

Edited by EdEarl

Forget messing about with multimeters unless you know what you are doing.

Plug a 60 W lamp in at the end of the extension leads.

Plug in + switch on the fridges (also at the end of the extension lead).

If the bulb dims a lot then you have a problem with the leads.

Alternatively, look at the back of the fridges and check the power rating(s).

Divide the power (in Watts) by the mains voltage (120 I guess).

That should tell you the current which the fridge draws.

Ad up the current for each fridge.

If that is less than the current rating of the extension lead it should be OK.

However, it sounds like the big fridge has worn out. Nothing lasts forever and the refrigerant slowly escapes.

The large fridge never did work properly from the beginning. I got ripped off! Got it from Craig's List, no returns.

We measured the Voltage for both Refrigerators, and it was 120 Volts for both. When I turned on a lamp, the Voltage did not decrease.

Turned on the portable air cooler, which dropped the voltage to 117 volts, which went back to 120 when we turned the air cooler off.

The 117V indicates a bit of an overload. I'd put the air on another extension cord. But, the fridge may not work right with the additional cord. Check the voltage again with the additional cord. If you still get less the 120, try putting the air or fridges on another circuit, which may not be the next closest wall outlet.

A couple of points.

If the three fridges are working from one fused extension cord you should beware the following. When a fridge thermostat switches the compressor on there will be a short lasting heavy current drawn from the supply. If the three fridges switch their compressors on at the same time it is quite likely the extension cord fuse will blow.

Most fridges will not work efficiently if the temperature of the environment is too low. This is because the pressurised refrigerant will not be vaporised by the action of the compressor. Because of changes in refrigerants in an attempt to reduce global warming the more modern refrigerators are more badly affected by low temperature environments. Domestic refrigerators are designed to work efficiently within the range of temperature expected within the home.