endorphin vs neo-endorphin?

hello all

I am new here and I hope you can help me out. I tried to do some Googling but I can't find the answer to this.

The difference between iso-pentane and neo-pentane is in the arrangement of the atoms, they are both 5 carbon atom, with different structure.

1.But why is endorphin so different from neo-endorphin? The former has about 3x the number of carbon atoms as neo-endorphin?

2. What's the the practical function of endorphin and neo-endorphin? Which is the one that makes us happy?

3. And in terms of practical purpose, which is the more important one, alpha or beta endorphin?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I can answer question 1) Neo-endorphin is cleaved from prodynorphin. Prodynorphin makes up endorphin so obviously the neo-endorphin is smaller than endorphin.

I can answer question 2) The neo-endorphins seem to have some kind of sensory function and regulate ADH release. The endorphins act as inhibitory pain signals you can find more information here http://www.4adi.com/objects/catalog/product/extras/SP-100053-5.pdf

For question 3) This link should give you a better answer, from reading I would say Beta-endorphin as there seems to be a lot more known about. http://www.livestrong.com/article/435947-does-exercising-give-you-endorphins/

I can answer question 1) Neo-endorphin is cleaved from prodynorphin. Prodynorphin makes up endorphin so obviously the neo-endorphin is smaller than endorphin.

Ouch no, that is wrong. I appreciate your enthusiasm but please do not post guessworks and proclaim them to be facts. You may confuse people.

Endorphin is a summary term for endogeneous peptides that bind to opiate receptors. What OP is referring to is probably the difference between alpha-endorphin (a specific peptide in that group) and alpha-neoendorphin.

The former being a peptide with the sequence Tyr-Gly-Gly-Phe-Met-Thr-Ser-Glu-Lys-Ser-Gln-Thr-Pro-Leu-Val-Thr and the latter

Tyr-Gly-Gly-Phe-Leu-Arg-Lys-Tyr-Pro-Lys.

Proenkephalin B the precursor of alpha-neoendorphin is way larger (254 AA). Generally, peptide and protein nomenclature does not follow the same rules as other, smaller C-bodies and can be a bit confusing at times. Even worse, many have several names, depending how it was identified and characterized.

Edited by CharonY