Communication and Understanding

EdEarl

I invite everyone to post quotes about communication in this thread, or make one up.

To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others.

Tony Robbins

Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.

Mahatma Gandhi

People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not understanding me.

Soren Kierkegaard

any fool can know.

the point is to understand

-albert einstein

great spirits have always

encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-albert einstein

the problem is not the problem.

the problem is your attitude about the problem.

do you understand ?

- captain jack sparrow

Edited by krash661

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

I have always liked this one. Can never live by it. But I like it. arc

Reading something they can understand, that seems to make sense, that presents itself as technically competent, non-scientists are easily gulled by fake science.

--Henry H. Bauer

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

― Albert Einstein

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

- Mark Twain

any fool can know.

the point is to understand

-albert einstein

great spirits have always

encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-albert einstein

the problem is not the problem.

the problem is your attitude about the problem.

do you understand ?

- captain jack sparrow

Reading something they can understand, that seems to make sense, that presents itself as technically competent, non-scientists are easily gulled by fake science.

--Henry H. Bauer

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

- Isaac Asimov

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

― Albert Einstein

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

- Mark Twain

A big part of effective communication is not assuming you're better than everyone else.

Talking to someone is much better than talking down to someone.

Assume everyone is an idiot and you've just proved that at least you are.

"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked what I thought, and attended to my answer." ~ Henry David Thoreau

I am trying to see things from your point of view but I cannot get my head that far up my ass. -Unknown

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. smile.png

Edited by iNow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“Assumptions are the termites of relationships.”

― Henry Winkler

“Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say infinitely when you mean very; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.”

― C.S. Lewis

“Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow.”

― Lawrence Clark Powell

The two words 'information' and 'communication' are often used interchangeably, but they signify quite different things. Information is giving out; communication is getting through.
Sydney J. Harris

On a related topic, I had a long conversation with my daughter last night about paying attention to people. She has a bad habit of blurting out the answers to questions without listening to what the question is asking. She does the same thing in her math homework. She'll spend an hour finding the right answer to the wrong question. I never understand why that is.

• 4 months later...

On a related topic, I had a long conversation with my daughter last night about paying attention to people. She has a bad habit of blurting out the answers to questions without listening to what the question is asking. She does the same thing in her math homework. She'll spend an hour finding the right answer to the wrong question. I never understand why that is.

The last thing my mother said to any of my brothers and I when we left for an exam was "R the Q!" Read the Question - I suffer the same mental crosswiring as your daughter and would otherwise easily spend time on the correct answer to the wrong question. It is far to easy to unconsciously/subconciously re-write a question - sometimes to your own detriment. Generations later family members still go off to test with the phrase "R the Q" ringing in their ears - and it works; the silly reminder, given too often, almost to the point of annoyance, pops up at the front of your mind whenever you start a new question and cause that essential bit of extra concentration and inspection.

That is quite interesting, I had a student in my lab that sounded quite similarly. It was less in exam situations, but during working through protocol where the student would follow things very closely, except that it was not the correct protocol halfway through.

It helped to write the protocols down, by hand, each time before an experiment was done (and inspected by me).

But I really did not understand the issue. Interesting indeed.