Can antimatter exist peacefully with matter?

ZimBu

Hi,

I'm new in this forum. I'm not a physicists or any kind of scientist but I'm very interested in physics and mathematics. My question is: Is there any relevant theories suggesting that antimatter could exist peacefully with ordinary matter? To my intuition that could be one way of matter - antimatter existence. After all we can detect antimatter on Earth (generated by particle colliders, proton guns, thunder storms).

Antimatter is so difficult to keep for some time in our world of matter that nobody cares to theorize why they should coexist.

But it could be one possibility? I have seen one theory which believes so but it's not published one.

Photons can coexist with photons and a photon is its own antiparticle.

That depends on a rather odd definition of "matter", but it answers the question.

That's because photons don't interact with other photons.

!

Moderator Note

Zimbu

Do not introduce wildly speculative ideas (like the theory of everything by illusio) as part of a mainstream physics discussion please. If you search through the speculations forum you will note the illusio's ideas were shown to be theoretically incorrect and we as a site even performed a simple experiment which showed his ideas as completely bankrupt (my bike and a iphone were involved). Illusio was finally banned for frequent rule breaches, intransigence, and preaching all due to his inability to follow the scientific method.

I have split off the posts made about toebi to a new thread in speculations - if you feel the need to discuss his ideas; do it there and not on the main board. Do not further derail this thread by responding to this moderation.

Photons can coexist with photons and a photon is its own antiparticle.

That depends on a rather odd definition of "matter", but it answers the question.

Is it true that "A photon by any other name is still a photon?" Or, is there really a difference between a photon and an anti-photon?

Is it true that "A photon by any other name is still a photon?" Or, is there really a difference between a photon and an anti-photon?

A photon and an anti-photon are exactly the same particle. There is no difference.

But if photons don't interact between themselves how do they annihilate?

They do interact - just the cross-section is pretty small. You need to get very specific circumstances to get enough interaction that you have a chance of noticing it and even more to analyse results

Here is a review of some of the physics by one of the pioneers of gamma gamma interactions. In the main it is pretty heavy going - but even I could get some good stuff from reading it

www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-wrap/getdoc/slac-pub-11581.pdf