Stopping Hiccups

hmmm...i remember seeing a kid's cartoon on tv about stopping hiccups.....

if you're from NSW, Australia and is a child, or has a brother and/or sister who watches ABC kids every afternoon, and has only one tv and you are so borred so you have no choice but to watch.....everyday.....(like me,then you have probably seen the kid's cartoon Ruby and Max.....

In the cartoon Ruby, the bunny sister, had a hiccup during their play rehearsal. Max, her brother, wanted to play his dragon mask.....yadayadayada....

Then Ruby decided she wanted to get rid of her annoying hiccup...so she tried 3 ways...first she held her breath for as long as she can, but it didn't work, 2nd way is to drink lots and lots of water. But unfortunately it didn't work either.....lastly she wanted to try her final 'way' of getting rid of her hiccup, that is to get scared. But she knew she couldn't be frightened by her friends coz she knew they are going ot do it. But then grandma shows up with a "scary" monster mask....and scared the wits out of ruby, after that her hiccup is gone!! and here's when i stop telling this stupid story.

fin

• 3 months later...

its just a spasm in diaphragm. I had this thing where I hiccuped like once every 12 secondsor something. Doc told me how it was jusdt my diaphragm spasming (hicup) and advised that I just take slow, deep and controlled breathes in order to help control my diaphragm or something :P lol

The scare tactic doesn't work for me. Years ago I had em in the shop - before I knew about the lemon rind cure. One the guys walked up behind me and dropped a large piece of metal on the concrete floor - I jumped, and then hiccupped.

What almost always works for me is this: take a deep a breath as you can, look at the clock, and SLOWLY exhale, taking a full 30 seconds to empty the lungs entirely. I used to get hiccups for days at a time, and this has kept me from going insane.

Or try this: place knife handle down into a glass of water and drink while balancing the blade on your temple.

i remember having them for a day span.... everyday in nd block i would get the hicups...... as for what i did............ tried the wated... that sometimes works.

held my breath.... that never works for me.

but most of the time when i get hicups i have to wait them out.

What I do, is I take a chop stick or straw and lay it across my mouth. I then take a drink of water with the stick still in place. I think this opens the throat more while drinking, which somehow stops hiccups.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Madejyalook

The thing that always worked for me was to lay on the floor with my knees bent up to my chest. I guess the way it positions th diaphram or something helps.