Dairy products dangerous!?!

UCF-Forensic

Hey guys,

I have been consuming dairy and other animal products for my entire life. I have also recently come onto the animal rights front, and have been studying PETA propaganda / ideas. One of their campaigns states that beer is better for you than milk, and in another part of the ad, says that at just two glasses a day, increases male's chances of getting prostate cancer.

My whole question is....Is this information legit!?! PETA has been known to make some pretty outlandish statements and then retract them, if any of you have seen their fur opposition page, you'll understand what I mean.

Can dairy products and other forms of animal products be that bad for you!?!?! Or is this just scare tactics to get people to boycott the entire industry?

I mean COME ON...If dairy and meat products are so bad for you than why are they so high on the food pyramid!?! About half of the 5 food groups are derived from animal products....

I am not a die hard sponsor of PETA or their affiliates, I am just interested in animal rights, and believe me, nobody on this Earth can stop me from getting my freakin steak & eggs breakfast. Personally I think vegetarianism is just as bad for you as eating meat, and I believe veganism leads to paranoid personality disorder.

I DON'T WANNA STOP DRINKING MILK!! TELL ME IF IT'S TRUE!!!!

::edit:: The gallon of 2% milk in my fridge is on quarantine until you guys decide....and the expry on it is Feb 1st...SO THINK QUICKLY!!!!

it is NOT True.

2 glasses of milk a day is perfectly harmless (providing the Glass size isn`t something stupid like a Gallon each!)

it`s a scare tactic only! with regards to Meat products, there are certain growth hormones given to *SOME* cattle that can affect us, but you`de need to eat far more than was healthy for you anyway!

you`de be more likely to get Heart problems 1`st.

I am aware of the horomones that animals are given, which has been a thesis idea of mine for quite awhile. I wanted to study the correlation between the type of drugs/steroids/horomones/medications that animals are given to make them grow faster etc. and their possible relation to the amount of children who are starting puberty at very early ages. I have studied puberty before and have acknowledged that the body needs a relative amount of fat to start puberty changes, and fast food was the likely cause, since most Americans consume fast food at least once in their lives.

I've done some preliminary brainstorming, and have hypothesized that some animals recieve growth enhancement drugs/horomones. By us eating too much of these products, I believe that we are unknowingly dosing ourselves with the same drugs, and over time, as we consume more and more, possibly affect our bodies negatively.

But about the dairy question, thanks!

I've also read that the meat/dairy industry treats their animals with large amounts of prophylactic antibiotics. There has been some concern that this is leading to a higher incidence of drug resistant bacteria.

I don't know whether antibiotics would pass through milk though.

Well, as you may know, antibodies and other useful goodies are passed along through human breastmilk, as well as some medications, hense the advisory that breastfeeding mothers take warning before doing so when they are on certain meds. I would think that the same applies to cow's milk.

Oh...It certainly is true. Maybe sligthy enflated...but certainly true. I highly suggest everyone read this acticle: http://www.earthsave.org/health/milkletter.htm It's from earthsave...a more highly respected organization, in my opinion.

Please don't miss this one!

edit: in regards to meat...The average age of puberty droped an average 7.5 years in the past decade. This coincides nicely with *gasp* when they started giving cows hormones. How can these statistics be ignored?

Well, as you may know, antibodies and other useful goodies are passed along through human breastmilk, as well as some medications, hense the advisory that breastfeeding mothers take warning before doing so when they are on certain meds. I would think that the same applies to cow's milk.

It most certainly does (read the article)

edit: in regards to meat...The average age of puberty droped an average 7.5 years in the past decade. This coincides nicely with *gasp* when they started giving cows hormones. How can these statistics be ignored?

Just because the numbers correlate doesn't mean they're the cause.

The number of personal computers in the last ten years increased... which coincides nicely with the drop in puberty age.

See?

I guess its OK for anybody over the age of 10 to drink milk then. And what makes you think hitting puberty early is dangerous?

This could also be the effect of a million other things. Not necessarily milk.

I never said hitting puberty early is dangerous. But...now that you mention, it certainly might be. Chenges in the body, might be happening before the mind is ready to cope with them. The highest rate of unhappyness with the self is ages 12-14...the ages of puberty.

The body may be developing faster then the brain. People's body's are maturing but they are still immature in their thinking processes.

That's just one thing I thought up at the top my head. I'm sure their are more.

True. Nobody is soley blaming milk and meat. A quick google search found other theories...such as TV and sexually abuse. Milk and meat is just the most popular theory...and lets face it, the one that makes the most sense.

At the end of the day,most days actually.Some organisations BS leaps into the news,'this is bad for you','so is this'.

When in reality if you actually believe them,they would be nothing to eat.....which when one reflects is pretty BAD for you!

Very true. Many lobbyist groups (PETA is a big one) lie and get away with it. You have to be careful what you read.

The whole point of the article I posted (if you bothered to read it, or at least past of it)... is that previous studies have been done to show the negative effects of milk on the human body. But, there is still not enough research to prove anything conclusive.

His point was that milk is known to have ill effects (yes, he had references) and we should devote more money and time into discovering the full effects.

From above artivle

“I want to pass on the word to parents that cows’ milk from the carton has definite faults for some babies. Human milk is the right one for babies. A study comparing the incidence of allergy and colic in the breast-fed infants of omnivorous and vegan mothers would be important. I haven’t found such a study; it would be both important and inexpensive. And it will probably never be done. There is no academic or economic profit involved."

To be honest unless theres a big scare eg BSE..i tend to ignore studies which are inconclusive.Its well documented that giving milk(cows ) to children is more benefitial and far outways any negative effects.....unless they are adding some new growth hormone or something....and we all develop mantits

To be honest unless theres a big scare eg BSE..i tend to ignore studies which are inconclusive.Its well documented that giving milk(cows ) to children is more benefitial and far outways any negative effects.....unless they are adding some new growth hormone or something....and we all develop mantits

Well...I've seen some questionable guys...lol.

I just feel that there are too many "coincidences" and research that it can't be ignored. I think further research should definatly be done so we can find out the truth, once and for all.

Also, I'm don't trust government's pro-milk propaganda. They make tons of money (through taxes) off the milk and meat industry. Government gives big subsides to dairy and meat industries. They have too much to loose if these industries go under. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but maybe the government is purposely halting this research...

I guess its OK for anybody over the age of 10 to drink milk then.

And what makes you think hitting puberty early is dangerous?

This could also be the effect of a million other things. Not necessarily milk.

I read in a reputable journal, however I can't find a link to it on the net, that humans hormone levels are at the max when they are 17 - as the onset of puberty begins at earlier ages, it follows that maximum hormone levels will be met at earlier ages also.

I might be 55, but I do not have alzheimers. I remember what it was like to be 17 and in the back sheet of a chevy. Common sense goes out the window. As hormone levels maximize at earlier ages, people will not have the age, nor the means (I'm talking real world here - a job, and a means of support) to support the result of indescretion. That's not to mention STD's.

It is a case of "what goes around comes around", when I was 17, the guy always had the tell-tale circle of a condom in his wallet - just in case. ( I do remember one guy had the opportunity to use his, and it had dry-rotted). ...but, I digress. The biggest worry was getting pregnant. If you really screwed around a lot, you might get an STD, but an embarassing visit to your GP and a round of antiibiotics cured that. Then came the pill. No worries - free love. (I missed that part, I was already married) Then came aids. Back to square one - carry the condom. Damn, sure enough, what goes around comes around. The first time I am eligable to date in over 30 years, and in the back of my mind I have to be thinking - don't let him near you if he doesn't carry protection.

What I'm saying is that some girls are hitting puberty these days at 11. They haven't a clue. When an older guy comes on to them, they are in over their heads before they know it. The same can be true of young men. Not to single you guys out, but Robin Williams made a very astute, if crude comment. "God gave man two heads, but only enough blood to run one at the time." The younger one is when these situations arise, the less likely they will be to have life experiences to tell them "Whoa - stop!!! Am I protecting myself and my partner?"

Once again Sandi, you have managed to make a post that proved my point more accuratly then I could ever do...and do it an impressive way. Are you a writer, or something?

Thanks for your ideas. Does anyone else have any reasons why reaching puberty earlier is dangerous.

Milk does not directly cause people to contract aids. It does not directly cause little kids to be put into adult situations.

If you said milk was dangerous because it can lead to aids logically you could say that sex-ed makes milk less dangerous because it helps prevent aids.

Oh!!! A lightbulb just went on in my head. I get what your saying. You mean milk causing earlier puberty causing possible bad desicions about sex, possibly causing AIDS. I get it!

Interesting...now that I think of it, we had our first sex-ed/puberty talks in school at age 10, grade 5. That seems much too early, but with puberty levels declining...maybe it's not a bad idea.

Milk, albiet indirectly, is dangerous (only thinking about puberty, not anything else). For reasons aforementioned... Didn't you read Coquina's post?

No, I'm not a writer by profession, but I love to write. Prior to getting on the internet in 1996 the longest thing I had written in 30 years was an invoice or a reply to an RFP - request for proposal. My day job is running a machine shop and programming CNC (computer operated) machine tools. When I write in these forums, I intentionally try to do the best I can, in order to hone my skills.

Lance, I was replying to your earlier question "what makes hitting puberty early dangerous" by pointing out that the younger one is when it happens, the less likely one is able to handle it mentally. Errors in judgment can be fatal, not only from aids but from pedophiles invading chatrooms.