If I release my name on these forums...

Popcorn Sutton

I want to take credit where it is due, but I do not want to put my life on the line to do it. It's a fine line that you tread when your putting intelligence out there. I trust the current powers of the world, if they wanted me, it wouldn't be too hard for them, but I don't trust the immature and irresponsible.

Unless I read your OP wrong, it sounded like you were essentially asking, 'If I tell people my name, will people know my name?' I assume that is not what you meant, but I cannot tell what you did mean.

The science forums are technically my publisher atm. Same was true about other forums.

Sorry, I meant publisher as a person (agent) who would keep their name secret, yet forward necessary communications.

I want to take credit where it is due, but I do not want to put my life on the line to do it. It's a fine line that you tread when your putting intelligence out there. I trust the current powers of the world, if they wanted me, it wouldn't be too hard for them, but I don't trust the immature and irresponsible.

What are you talking about?

It sounds like you are being paranoid, or are your views that controversial that your life would be in danger? If so, then this forum is probabily not the place to express those views.

You can never be too safe right? I trust my instincts, but at the same time, I want independence. Oh the dilemma

Where do you live? Edited by ajb

I might be somewhere on the planet. You?

As I live in Europe, I am quite free to discuss just about anything I like. Within sensiable reason.

That said there are things I would not discuss here, just as I would not with anyone other than close firends.

With this all in mind, I see there being no harm in people knowing my name. It is not a secret and I am not in fear of my life.

Things maybe different in other areas if I were to be critical of the government or religion.

This is why I ask and why I am confussed about your fear.

I live with my parents to say the least. I also live in the united states. I have reasons for my paranoia, although they may not be clearly justifiable. I wouldn't want to go into details anyway.

Then I would say as long as you are not stupid and make lots of insulting remarks then no-one will be interested in hurting you or your family.

It sounds to me that you are worrying about nothing.

That said, I am not saying that you should tell everyone your name and address etc, and of course it depends on the context here, but the reality is that it is generally safe to do so. I don't see that such information is really a secret, remember it is on every letter then you have ever recieved! You may get more spam if your name and email are avaliable!

But this does not trump basic internet safty. You may feel much more comfortable keeping this all secret and that is fine. This maybe more prudent if you are underage also.

As I said, it is your reasons that seem unclear.

Edited by ajb

As I live in Europe, I am quite free to discuss just about anything I like. Within sensiable reason.

That said there are things I would not discuss here, just as I would not with anyone other than close firends.

With this all in mind, I see there being no harm in people knowing my name. It is not a secret and I am not in fear of my life.

Things maybe different in other areas if I were to be critical of the government or religion.

This is why I ask and why I am confussed about your fear.

There is a risk that your comments here on SFN would flood the Google results when people search for your name. I am not sure you'd like that.

Personally, I want people to see what I do professionally, not what I write about on SFN. My professional work has gone through some screenings and peer reviews. The stuff I write here has not.

It is not a matter of "having something to hide", or a "fear of being prosecuted". It's more a matter of what I want on display.

There is a risk that your comments here on SFN would flood the Google results when people search for your name. I am not sure you'd like that.

Personally, I want people to see what I do professionally, not what I write about on SFN. My professional work has gone through some screenings and peer reviews. The stuff I write here has not.

It is not a matter of "having something to hide", or a "fear of being prosecuted". It's more a matter of what I want on display.

You raise some great points here and very valid ones.

I don't know about anyone else, but I post here under a pseudonym because my employer (part of the UK government) might not agree with some of the things I say.

On my blog I have a disclaimer about exactly that as my blog gets more attention from non-SFN users, including by boss!

We trade our identities in order to participate in the uninhibited flow of ideas. For example, one of us could be Stephen Hawking, but if everyone knew that, his identity would almost completely change the nature of our threads, even in the ones he doesn't participate.

I understand that we have some very intelligent people here on these forums, and thats what I like about them. But on a side note, I did develop a degree of schizophrenia after having become one of the top posters on the linguistics forums. I have no doubt that my ideas have been integrated, and I made my name public, but I havent received one known reference, and either I am sadly mistaken and suffer from an arbitrary mental disorder that has no relevance to the ideas people share that could be my own (which wouls be upsetting to say the least) or I have good reason for my paranoia. I have felt unsafe at times, like I was being followed and watched. But that could just be delusions.

It is nearly impossible to hide one's identity form a skilled hacker, once you post on the internet. And, this link shows how dogged some people are at finding the originator of something, no matter how trivial. Although, there is no guarantee you will eventually be recognized for a new idea or thing, ones chances are pretty good IMO.

... But that could just be delusions.

It sounds like you are starting to recognise that your state of mind is not correct. If you have real worries then please seek medical help.

I have no doubt that my ideas have been integrated, and I made my name public, but I havent received one known reference...

Unless you have someting published you may not get a proper reference. You may sometimes get an acknowledgement if the ideas are not in published form.