what is the difference between quantam mechanics and quantum theory for idiots?lol that is to say me

lukemcleod

im searching for more knowledge and seem to find physics and space based sciences interesting but while researching and studying these two terms came up many times and I find myself once again seeking more knowledge of this subject so if any one could offer the basic points and educate me a little it would be highly appreciated

I should mention I taught myself most of what I know by watching documentaries on tv and watching sci-fy programs listening to their science and researching it I cant say how much of my knowledge is accurate so I welcome any corrections on my understanding of the science.

Perhaps the reason no one has responded to this post is that you have not asked a specific question. One could write several text books to do as you have asked. Perhaps a good starting point for you is the following:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

I recommend you teach yourself math, physics and chemistry from Khan Academy. Augment these lessons with pages from Wikipedia. And, ask specific questions about things you do not understand here on SFN. Once you have mastered the Khan Academy lessons, you may be able to view and understand lectures on YouTube by professors at Stanford, MIT, Harvard, etc. given on a variety of subjects. For example, the Leonard Susskind series of physics lectures, including String and M-Theory, Statistical Mechanics, and Relativity. If you have the patience to follow my prescription (many hours of entertainment), you will be able to answer some questions on this forum.

Enjoy

Edited by EdEarl

As EdEarl implies, a discussion board is a poor medium for an extensive tutorial, especially in light of the information that's out there already. A discussion board is for specific questions, i.e. not tutorials, and not general information that will come up on a Google search.

Really is there no one thats willing to give a man

a little info to get him started on the path to higher understanding of his universe and how it works

Quantus is Latin for Quantity. ( but a quantity can be anything from 0 to infinity.)

There is, or was discovered by a Mr Plank one specific quantity that seemed to be at the root of things.

That is related to one oscillation of energy ,( like one wave in the sea . standing waist deep in water, one oscillation is the wave coming up to your chin, down to your knees, and up to your waist again) one complete wave. It is not possible for the sea to give up incomplete waves. Only 1,2,3 .....106 waves etc .

So Plank found out that the energy coming out as heat came out as discrete numbers of waves of energy. He attached a discrete constant to this process ( known as Planks Constant ).

The reason this is so is because all or most atomic things relate to or are WAVES. You can not have naturally incomplete waves . Hence things atomic tend to go in "chunks" called QUANTA meaning 'a discrete unit quantity of energy' . Going off a bit like a machine gun.

[ this ............................. ] often called photons of energy. [ not _____________________ ]

All this is the beginning of Quantum Mechanics

Is this a start ?

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Quantum mechanics is one kind of quantum theory; basically, it's the same as the difference between classical physics and classical mechanics - mechanics deals directly with forces and displacements. It can include electrostatics and magnetostatics, but doesn't include electrodynamics, since electrodynamics can't quite be expressed directly in forces and displacements. Quantum mechanics works with the basic version of Schrodinger's equation and potentials. Quantum theory in general - usually quantum field theory - is more general; it can include, for example, quantum electrodynamics, which quantum mechanics doesn't quite include.

=Uncool-

All really great post guys really enjoy getting feed back. Ed and swan you both make excellent points but ed I think some of that may be just a little too advance for me but if you could give me the names of a few good lecturers to look for I will get around to doing that at some point

Mr smith I'm not sure I quite grasp it right but do you mean to say a wave like as in a sine waveform like in a three phase supply but with frequency relating to the amount of waves and heat energy and it's all on the atomic level?

And uncool very helpful thank you for giving me some subjects to research

Once again thank you every one

I do not know your level of knowledge. Khan Academy starts very simple and works up to more advanced topics. For example, it starts math at 1+1 and goes through calculus. I expect you to be somewhere between the most basic and most advanced lessons on Khan Academy. The physics on Khan Academy is IMO high school level and progresses to university level. You need some math to understand basic physics on Khan Academy, but not calculus. A person who has mastered the physics and chemistry lessons on Khan Academy should be able to understand some things in Leonard Susskind's lectures.

I provided links to both basic and more advanced presentations, because I did not know what was right for you. Only you can know that. I do not know what else you need.

Thanks ed to be honest I've never studied any advanced areas my schooling was very basic chem, biology, actually I don't really recall ever doing anything other then that but even that was very dull basic add magnieseium to water record effects and dissect a pigs heart stuff I wish they had taught more things like this

It is litteral all self taught through internet and sci-fy occasionally a good documentary

So I guess to gain a propper full understanding of the subjects I would be on the basement level

Edited by lukemcleod

What is the difference between quantam mechanics and quantum theory for idiots?

Mechanical --> is the machine/system. (car engine, nuclear reactor) ---------> Works with the discipline of our physical laws. (hot cold, friction, wear, gravity, ..)

Theory ------> is the diagram of the machine/system before manufacturing. ---> The theory also implies new physical rules still observed to this day.

The quantum mechanical/theory describes the same thing, but at the microscopic level.

For the manufacture of a nuclear reactor by example (the concrete mixer to --> fission ) ; therefore uses physical rules, and quantum rules.