time travel i believe it possible

lukemcleod

Ok so I'm not a scientist but understand most things like einstine's theory that says travel at the speed of light away from earth and back again and u will arrive in the future so I have a hypothetical question about this. It goes like this if we had a calculation to work out how many light years you would need to travel to how far in the future u go ie. 2 light years away from and back would equal 20 earth years, and if we sent a huge light emmitting miirror in to space and faced it toward earth and used a light emmitting telloscope to focus on the mirror with that mirror being 2 light years from earth if we looked through the telescope would we not see earth 20 years into the future as that would be the time it would take for the light being emmited to travel from the tellescope to the mirror and back to earth

Edited by lukemcleod

2 years ago, some photons were emitted towards the mirror placed 2 light years away. In 2 years, we would see the photons coming back to us, after bouncing off the mirror. This would mean we would be able to see 4 years into the past, because that's when the photons were sent off from Earth.

Sure. Let's say you write a message on a tennis ball. You then start a timer when you throw the ball towards a wall. After 1 second, the ball will hit the wall. It will then return to you 1 second later, and you can read the message you sent to yourself from the past.

Looking at a mirror 2 light years away is pretty much the same. After a photon (light) is emitted from Earth, it's not affected by anything happening here. So a bunch of photons will still "show" what went on here at the time they were sent out. So when you flash a light towards the big mirror 2 light years away, the photons will travel for 2 years, hit the mirror, be reflected, then come back here 2 additional years later. It will not show what happens 20 years in the future, because those photons have not been emitted yet.

Now, time dilation when it comes to space travel and the like is something different. It does not, however, mean you can work around cause and effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrocausality

So my idea is totally useless then lol but lets say u could actually veiw down the path of light being emmited since time slows wen u reach light speed would you still not see the future through that beam of lights path

I no it's not really time travel but it would b awesome to veiw the future to avoid the disasters

I wouldn't say useless. After all, your idea led to you asking a question, which in the end hopefully led you to a better understanding (assuming I explained it properly and correctly) of the theory behind what made you ask the question in the first place.

As for looking down the path of a ray of light; a ray of light isn't an actual, solid ray, but consists of photons. Once a photon reaches a receiver (such as your eye), it was by necessity sent out in the past.

and u will arrive in the future

No.

You arrive when you arrive period.

Different observers may disagree on when that is. But every observer will report the same events at the point of arrival. So if you arrive and tread on a snail, every observer will report that snail as squashed. You cannot have some observers observing your foot arriving early or late and missing the snail's passage.

You should also be careful of your meaning of the words 'time travel'.

Every object has a duration on the time axis, just as it has an extent on the spaces axes.

If we talk of moving the object in space we mean the whole extent ie the whole object, not just a cross section from one point in space.

Similarly if you talk of time travel do you mean moving one time point or the whole duration?

Yeah I think I understand if ur traveling at lightspeed time slows for u but continues on as normal for others thus u have traveled through time but for them they have received u as u were from the day u left

Sorry I don't quite get ur meanin with the last post also where was that quote from? And wen I talk about time travel I mean like the hg wells novel the time machine as in I live in the present but I travel to the past

It's lazy man slang and no although I wish I was coz they say yesterday is history tomorrow is a mystery but today is a gift that's y they call it the present I think the current state of affairs in the world is at a ridiculous point that needs to be fixed but there are too many greedy corporate types and religious nut jobs to give peace and unity a fair chance

So in other words it's a shit present lol

Edited by lukemcleod

They also say

Yesterday has gone departed,

And tomorrow has not started,

All that matters is right now.

or tomorrow never comes

go well

And the language of this forum is proper English.

Oh, and what did you not understand about my previous post?

Please explain?

Edited by studiot

All of it really the first bit with observers wen I never sed anything about observer's the bit about everything havin a time axsis and ur bit about what I meant on time travel

Ps this was a blog I started so I can type in it however I like and bar wot ever I want how ever if I were to post on ur blog for example and u didn't like the way I typed then it would b ur porogative to ask me to use proper English or bar me or do wot ever u wanted to do

I'm not an intellectual I'm just intelligent by that I mean I never studied intulectual subjects but I do no some shit so I don't talk intelligently but I talk smart

Like it or lump it

Edited by lukemcleod

yeah I had heard that but I don't except it that would be to unfair but I have a hypothesis that gets around that it involves the whole wormhole theory thing and the multiverse theory because how awesome would it be to actually go back in time and witness history you might discover that at t rex wasn't actually green as pictured in the films it might be pink that would b hilarious. I don't really understand how they tell what things were really like back then as in appearance.

No dint say that but were all entitled to our own beliefs and I chose to believe other theories beside his on this subject however I find hawking to be brilliaint I like his work in general I just love the idea of actually being able to travel through time and witness such things as dinosaurs grazing in a field or to actually witness the pyrimids being built and plenty of other interesting moments in history

And I know you know your stuff to I have seen you on other post u reallly know your stuff and I see you are willing to educate people further

there is a excellent Family Guy episode which includes time travel.

It's really good stuff it goes into the danger of time travel and all that, I can't

remember exactly what happens but they have to be careful not do ore not to do certain stuff.

One of the best episodes I have seen it end up with hundreds of : Brian and Stewie all together from difference times periods

deciding what they need to do!!! laugh.png

It fact here is the episode here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNq_t1S3JH0

really good!!

Edited by esbo

Lol family guy is awsome. But what if you did travel back in time and wipe out lets be over dramatic here and say humanity to make u the last person in exsistance but instead of changing the past or destroying the future depending at how u look at it what if u actually created a whole new universe leaving where u came from intact only that u are reported as an unexplained disappearance but now your lost in another universe with no-one to help u get home?

Yeah that's true I'm a fan of the stargate series that's y I like to think that creating and manipulating worm holes is a possiblity and I don't no but maybe like strength of electromagnet forces stabilize's the worm hole and the amount of enrergy u put in and in what polarity u input it determines how far or in which direction u travel through time

Yeah that's right he says travling backwards is impossible because there is simply no way for us to physically achieve it and way to many paradoxes I guess if u traveled at the speed of light and u had a friend travelling at twice the speed of light and you both traveled the same distance then your friend would have travelled twice as far as you into the future. Does that make sense to u, I hope so