New type of Dark matter?

Moontanman

A possible new type of dark matter, sounds more than a bit like Mirror Matter to me.

http://www.space.com/21508-dark-matter-atoms-disks.html?cmpid=514630

Dark atoms

"There is no good reason to assume that all the dark matter in the universe is built out of one type of particle," study author Andrey Katz of Harvard University told SPACE.com.

These new dark matter particles would essentially consist of heavy "dark protons" and light "dark electrons." They would interact with each other far more than other dark matter particles to form "dark atoms" that use "dark photons" to interact through a sort of "dark electromagnetism," much as regular protons and electrons interact through photons in conventional electromagnetism to build the atoms making up the stuff of everyday life. If dark atoms are possible, they could react with each other for dark chemistry, much as regular atoms interact chemically.

Mirror Matter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_matter

In physics, mirror matter, also called shadow matter or Alice matter, is a hypothetical counterpart to ordinary matter. Modern physics deals with three basic types of spatial symmetry: reflection, rotation and translation. The known elementary particles respect rotation and translation symmetry but do not respect mirror reflection symmetry (also called P-symmetry or parity). Of the four fundamental interactionselectromagnetism, the strong interaction, the weak interaction, and gravityonly the weak interaction breaks parity.

Parity violation in weak interactions was first postulated by Tsung Dao Lee and Chen Ning Yang [1] in 1956 as a solution to the τ-θ puzzle. They suggested a number of experiments to test if the weak interaction is invariant under parity. These experiments were performed half a year later and they confirmed that the weak interactions of the known particles violate parity.[2] [3] [4]

I've communicated several times with a leading proponent of Mirror Matter, Robert Foot, about ways to collect Mirror Matter that has fallen to Earth, the ease of detection depends on parameters that have yet to established but it is possible that Mirror Matter space dust falls to earth and could be found under certain circumstances.

yeh,

They continue to search for dark matter. However, the more complicated proposals they make, like this one, the less likely I think their speculation will be valid. First, I think, they need to show evidence for something existing of substance other than known matter. That would be the most important aspect of theory to show that gravity appears to work differently because of a so-far undetected entity. Next, if possible, they would need to show that this entity has mass, like matter, otherwise it may simply be a type of background field that effects matter via its energy of relative motion, something like an aether of yore.

Just to show strong evidence of something being there in the background could defend against other theoretical ideas such as those of MOND-like formulations that assert that gravity works differently at galactic scales -- without the need for dark matter or anything like it. Of course the unanswered question still would remain: why should gravity act differently at differnt scales ? smile.png

Edited by pantheory

• 4 weeks later...

A possible new type of dark matter, sounds more than a bit like Mirror Matter to me.

What was the old one?

Mirror Matter

I've communicated several times with a leading proponent of Mirror Matter, Robert Foot, about ways to collect Mirror Matter that has fallen to Earth, the ease of detection depends on parameters that have yet to established but it is possible that Mirror Matter space dust falls to earth and could be found under certain circumstances.

Dark matter is not different from Matter?

and Dark antimatter from Antimatter?

In physics, mirror matter, also called shadow matter or Alice matter, is a hypothetical counterpart to ordinary matter. Modern physics deals with three basic types of spatial symmetry: reflection, rotation and translation. The known elementary particles respect rotation and translation symmetry but do not respect mirror reflection symmetry (also called P-symmetry or parity).

Moomtanman, look..

in other words, and with your story of mirror matter, you want to try to tell us that: shadow matter = Dark matter?

Edited by Arnaud Antoine ANDRIEU

It read to me like this new idea for part of what is called dark matter sounds more than a bit like a warmed over version of mirror matter, in fact mirror matter is expected to form planets stars and other bodies in the same way regular matter does.

If the interaction is strong enough it would be possible to use mirror matter to enclose anti-matter since the two would not react with each other. Sadly the interaction would appear to have to be very weak since we don't see much interaction that cannot be explained by normal matter and anti matter.

Yes it has been suggested that mirror matter might make up a percentage of the mass in the universe.

In fact I'm not sure what you are asking by that also. Could you better develop first?

Thanks

All I can do is direct you to the articles, my contention is that this new idea of dark matter atoms is similar to the idea of mirror matter, both ideas have been suggested as at least part of what is known collectively as dark matter.

Both ideas propose dark stars, dark planets, even dark asteroids. It has also been proposed that some planets that don't seem to be orbiting stars, rouge planets, might be normal matter planets orbiting dark stars... lots of ideas not much evidence...

• 4 weeks later...

Could it not be possible that dark matter could just be heavy gases that are not hot but interact with light like Sulfur Hexafluoride, which could in turn have its own gravity helping hold the universe together. I am just using Sulfur Hexafluoride as an example of a heavy gas but it could be possible for a type of gas we have not yet discovered to have these properties. After the initial Big Bang we started off with gasses that clumped together but if we have gas then surely it is probable to have some sort of anti gas?

Could it not be possible that dark matter could just be heavy gases that are not hot but interact with light like Sulfur Hexafluoride, which could in turn have its own gravity helping hold the universe together. I am just using Sulfur Hexafluoride as an example of a heavy gas but it could be possible for a type of gas we have not yet discovered to have these properties. After the initial Big Bang we started off with gasses that clumped together but if we have gas then surely it is probable to have some sort of anti gas?

But dark matter does not interact with light, except gravitationally.

No, because normal matter would still absorb light and we would see an absorption spectrum for this matter that was between us and a light source.

• 3 weeks later...

!

Moderator Note

DeputyDaves

I have hidden your post. Do not post the same message in multiple threads merely because there is a passing relevance. Additionally please note that questions in the main forums regarding dark matter should not be answered with speculative notions.

• 2 weeks later...

Mirror Matter

Very interesting articles which are very similar to my own conclusions. Thanks for sharing.

!

Moderator Note

Humblemunn. This is not a place for discussion of your theories - it seems you are spamming every thread with the tiniest similarity in topic to your theory with posts designed to raise interest in your ideas. You have been warned about this. Desist now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.