Slow boot up

ed84c

whats your computer's spec? (processor, RAM, HDD size?)

when was the last time you formatted?

its mainly due to start-up programs, check in the msconfig start-up list

change your sig to make it like mine is now!

Yeh ive looked through regedit. My comp has 256mb Ram and 2.66ghz proc.

thing is you can hear it when it is struggling to open lots of progs but it just doesnt do anything at all, infact even checking with ctrl alt delete, no programes open.

5614, my last booting problem seems to be solved.

I turned off all window starting programs, and the problem then is solved.

I may suspect that it is due to avast or nod32, more to avast as I install it first and the problem has started since that time.

ed84c: ive never seen this with XP, the old win98 comp does that because it doesnt have enough RAM and its had a lot of crap on it... so i formatted it and it runs a lot faster now... if you can id advise a total format...

primarygun: i cant remember your exact prob, although i could go find the thread once ive posted this, did you just remove everything outta msconfig or do you start in safe mode or what?

so one sec, your prob with the boot, was where you had beeping noises and you spent hours starting up? was there a thread on SFN on this error?

so what, could you eventually use the computer it just took a while?

and you just unticked everything in msconfig?

the beeping (or on my computer lights, same thing) is part of a critical hardware diagnostics scan that is always running... it'll detect basic errors with RAM, PCI cards, video controllers, HDD errors etc... hence im a bit confused as to why getting stuff outta the msconfig list would solve a problem.

im guessing i just didnt understand the original prob:

"I spent nearly one hour to boot up my computer after I turned off the power plug" -- primarygun

i thought he meant that it took a long time to boot up, he meant long time to boot-down, or shut down... i think. but once you turn off the power it should all die, so im not sure, but whatever, if its fixed thats all that matters!

Its odd really it isnt slow in loading programmes etc, but as soon as it opes the wall paper it just stops and does nothing for 2mins and then just carries on.

back to this!... i still reckon its boot up programs, what else? what happens if you click on an icon whilst it is in this "2 mins" stage?

is it actually 2 minutes? or does it just seem like that... like when you are waiting doing nothing for 30 secs it can seem like 2 mins

the computer has gotta be doing something!

maybe connecting to the network/internet, running spyware/viruses or just opening programs

1) defrag

2) disk cleanup

3) spyware scans

4) get avast... its a free trial and use the boot time scan... a few viruses can avoid detection once installed and running, avast boot time scan will get em!

also go to ctrl + alt + del > processes tab... how many processes are running?