Making sodium salicylate with NaOH

pippo

People,

Is this too easy- if I take salicylic acid powder, then add NaOH to make sodium salicylate? The stuff has shot up in price and if I can react this this way, would be way cheaper.

Thanks!

I'd make solutions of the two materials then mix them but, essentially, yes.

Yes, good tip on making into solutions first, but are you sure this will convert the acid part to the Na salt? Then, just need to know at what ph to "react" it to, right, John? Guess, I could look up if its stated anywhere, otherwise, heck, I will just shoot for pH 7......

You are aiming to make sodium salicylate.

Off hand, I'm not sure what pH a solution of that should be.

But, if I had some sodium salicylate I could dissolve it in water and measure the pH.

Then I could aim for that pH when I mixed the solutions.

Alternatively I could calculate that 138.12 grammes of the acid react with 39.9971 grammes of the hydroxide.

Call it 3.5 to 1

• 2 weeks later...

But, if I had some sodium salicylate I could dissolve it in water and measure the pH.

Alternatively I could calculate that 138.12 grammes of the acid react with 39.9971 grammes of the hydroxide.

Call it 3.5 to 1

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

Call it 3.5 to 1

sory for late reply, John, but thanks for the calculations, and info! pH happens to be about 6.4- checked it with some scraps of S Sal I had around. Im gonna save lots of $ by reacting it myself, as S Sal has jumped in price the last yr. Big thanks for your support!

Also, thanks to Edgy.

Edited by pippo