Very lunatic thoughts...

Externet

Hi.

At least this will be good for science fiction...

The earth and our moon are in a very delicate and precise balance of speed and interacting gravity maintaining their position.

In theory¿? any force applied to the moon can change its orbit a given amount.

Assumming feasability of assembling a large enough upside down propulsion rocket on the visible side of our moon (or a smaller one for long enough time) and pushing it out of orbit until it is gone, gone...spiraling out no longer on earth's orbit.

Yes, many catastrophic consequences implied here, but keep the imagination on.

Doing the same with Titan, if a convenient atmosphere and water and other amenities are found there, bring it aiming precisely to start orbiting the earth as replacement.

Well, another place to overpopulate and pollute would be available.

With proper technology, time and calculus; is there any tiny chance for this to be not fiction some day ? :eek:

Miguel

theoretically yes

physically or realistically probably not

i say this because yeah sure, its possible, but at the same time the amount of force needed would be very high and i just cant see it happening!

• 1 month later...

until we figure out how to make and store anti matter properly :D

cant store more than a few particles for a shrt amount of time currently, just as well i guess, wouldt spell a good time for the world if bush got his hands on that ....

I posted this in another thread:

"I tried to find something on the internal structure of Titan, but found nothing quantitative. We know the density averages out to 1.88 g/cc. A reasonable model that will yield this is as follows:

Core: Iron-nickel 100 km radius

Mantle: Rock 1800 km radius

'Crust': Ice 2575 km radius

That means 65% of the volume of Titan is ice, primarily water ice. So, if we move Titan to Earth's orbit we wind up after a 'short' time with a water planet, with a global ocean 650 kms deep. After a 'longer' time, as Titan fails to retain its volatiles, we get a rocky moon half the diameter of our own."

Hi.

The earth and our moon are in a very delicate and precise balance of speed and interacting gravity maintaining their position.

The moon is currently receding about 4 cm/year from the earth. So it depends on your limit of precision and balance.