Color vs. Colour

-Demosthenes-

I can't help but recall our argument over the spelling of color, maybe it's just me. But anyway I'm in need of some closure, and I think we should vote on it!

why didn`t you make a Poll for it then? :)

I use "Color" too, but I grew up in Canada, so old habits die hard I guess.

of course the British took the word COLOR and changed it. Well, indirectly, you see it started out as COLOS from Archaic Latin, but since an 'S' became an 'R' between two vowels (COLOR, COLORIS), it was changed to COLOR. Then, evolving from Latin French changed it to COLEUR. When the Normans took over Britain and English evolved, it was changed to COLOUR to reflect the French spelling yet British pronunciation. When America revolted against the British, along with many other things the Americans reverted back to the Roman spelling: COLOR. This was brought to you by the letter 'Q' - still a letter after all these years. ;)

I'm an american and I must say, "color" doesn't look like proper english to me. Although, in one of my school essays, my american lit. teacher nearly killed me for using "colour" once. Sometimes I use British spellings just to be rebellious. It gives me a certain thrill.

How very interesting. All the snobbish Brits totally ignored my post about historicity. Well, that would be them. Next thing you know they'll be telling you that you're supposed to drive on the left side of the road!

Would this be the post where you claimed that your language is degenerating compared to ours?

Omg, modified Bushims. The best way to argue about something. :))

But if I had to make a logo or something that had the word in it, I'd probably use color. Colour, favourite and such sound fancy in "casual text" and I use them sometimes (which isn't too cool if you mix them in one text :P ), but I'd like to strangle a random person in the close proximity if I see "colOUR" on a product logo or description. :)) That's just me though, luckily I'm not strong enough to really strangle anyone (which is probably the reason I'm writing this at home and not at jail).

Firstly, it isn't "English" that Americans use dominantly. After all, we would be speaking German but for a vote or two. England has this disgrace of incorporating French as their predominant overstructure, when America, the heart of classicism (or at least it was), favored a return to Latin. Sayonara-cubed calls it degenatory, but linguistics disagrees. He rather keeps a barbaric language compared to the civilised Latin? Ha! Return, lost soul, to the heart of your culture.

Now, if you want to make a case with civilize v. civilise, or aeon v. eon, or amoeba v. ameba, I'll any day go with the British spelling. But you're at a loss with color.

Firstly' date=' it isn't "English" that Americans use dominantly. After all, we would be speaking German but for a vote or two. England has this disgrace of incorporating French as their predominant overstructure, when America, the heart of classicism (or at least it was), favored a return to Latin. Sayonara-cubed calls it degenatory, but linguistics disagrees. He rather keeps a barbaric language compared to the civilised Latin? Ha! Return, lost soul, to the heart of your culture.

Now, if you want to make a case with civilize v. civilise, or aeon v. eon, or amoeba v. ameba, I'll any day go with the British spelling. But you're at a loss with color.[/quote']

Let's all sing the Special Pleading song.