The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Greetings; i'm Surfinbird and i am someone who is bouncing back up from dark times; i'm interested by all sciences but my biggest interest are genetics, military systems, physics, aerospace, mathematics, computers and cosmology. To me learning from people more educated than me is a pleasure; so this forum is very interesting.

I'm new myself. I'm serious when I say, "Who invented the wheel and when?" I hear announcers say "Egyptians constructed the pyramids without the wheel" and if that is true when and where was the wheel invented?

It is true and a bit odd. The great Pyramid Age of Egypt was circa 2,400 BC or some 600 years after the joining of the "Two Lands" under the Scorpion King (yes, there really was one. :) ) in about 3,000 BC. At this time the Egyptians only had a sort of proto pulley that wasn't much more than a groove in the rock.

The earliest known wheels were actually potters wheels from Mesopotamia dating from 3,800 BC or so, it took a further 600 years before some bright spark thought of turning the potters wheel on its side and using an axle. Maybe his wheel fell off the bench and rolled down the hill, thus sparking the idea, we'll simply never know. But the wheel and cart appeared circa 3,200 BC.

What is truly remarkable is that the Egyptians remained oblivious to the wheel and its incredible weapon of war, the Chariot for over 1,000 years. (However this could be due to a complete lack of horses in the region.) Horses and chariots were introduced into Egypt by the Hyksos invaders in about 1,800 BC, who then ruled northern Egypt as Pharoahs for 100 years or so. It was only after the descendants of the "original" Pharonic lines who held southern Egypt adopted the chariot and built them in large numbers were the kingdoms again united and the Hyksos rulers deposed.

However, to directly answer your questions. About 3,200 BC and somewhere in the region of Mesopotamia.

It is true and a bit odd. The great Pyramid Age of Egypt was circa 2,400 BC or some 600 years after the joining of the "Two Lands" under the Scorpion King (yes, there really was one. :) ) in about 3,000 BC. At this time the Egyptians only had a sort of proto pulley that wasn't much more than a groove in the rock.

The earliest known wheels were actually potters wheels from Mesopotamia dating from 3,800 BC or so, it took a further 600 years before some bright spark thought of turning the potters wheel on its side and using an axle. Maybe his wheel fell off the bench and rolled down the hill, thus sparking the idea, we'll simply never know. But the wheel and cart appeared circa 3,200 BC.

What is truly remarkable is that the Egyptians remained oblivious to the wheel and its incredible weapon of war, the Chariot for over 1,000 years. (However this could be due to a complete lack of horses in the region.) Horses and chariots were introduced into Egypt by the Hyksos invaders in about 1,800 BC, who then ruled northern Egypt as Pharoahs for 100 years or so. It was only after the descendants of the "original" Pharonic lines who held southern Egypt adopted the chariot and built them in large numbers were the kingdoms again united and the Hyksos rulers deposed.

However, to directly answer your questions. About 3,200 BC and somewhere in the region of Mesopotamia.

Fantastic! Now I can impress family and friends with the wonderful information you provided. Thank you very much!

I have been here for a while now and made a few posts. Without knowing my background, I realize it makes it hard for some of you to respond as you don't know what level of understanding, education I have.

My real name is Tom and I am a retired Firefighter from Canada. Pugdaddy comes form the fact that I breed Pugs. I was a Firefighter for 30 years and retired a couple of years ago. I did not go to University. I have regretting the lack of formal education, but not the decision to be a Firefighter as it was a very rewarding career.

I have taken courses in Calculus and finite mathematics and have watch many lectures on the internet. I certainly am not an expert, but I am learning. Hopefully I can continue to learn through this forum. Thanks everyone for patience in my learning experience.

I have been here for a while now and made a few posts. Without knowing my background, I realize it makes it hard for some of you to respond as you don't know what level of understanding, education I have.

My real name is Tom and I am a retired Firefighter from Canada. Pugdaddy comes form the fact that I breed Pugs. I was a Firefighter for 30 years and retired a couple of years ago. I did not go to University. I have regretting the lack of formal education, but not the decision to be a Firefighter as it was a very rewarding career.

I have taken courses in Calculus and finite mathematics and have watch many lectures on the internet. I certainly am not an expert, but I am learning. Hopefully I can continue to learn through this forum. Thanks everyone for patience in my learning experience.

Welcome.

That's a good presentation!

Not "Hi I am new here"...

Edited by michel123456

Hey everyone belonging to SFN (I'm guessing someone here would call it that.), I just signed up a minute ago. Everyone can call me PD or if you develop a suitable nickname you can call me that. I'm thinking about taking plant biology pretty soon, so I wanted to join a forum pertaining to science. After google showed me a list of science forums I chose this one due to the layout and logo. I am a writer and a seeker of knowledge. My mind is the equivalent of a dry sponge, information being the source of moisture. My motto is "Burdens are life's rocks, the more you carry the stronger you get. You just have to keep on keepin on, because everyday at dawn another day is gone. Something that never breaks can never be fixed either." I am mainly a writer, mainly a science fiction writer, but I have wrote things other than that genre, I am also a poet. You can read the poetry I decide to share at "http://allpoetry.com/PaulGamble" I usually release about 1 or 2 poems a week. For those who want to know how old I am I will tell you I was born in 1989. I look up to a fictional hero by the name of the doctor, but not as much as I look up to god. I hope I can learn a lot from you people and that you can in-turn learn a lot from me. For what is knowledge without an open mind?

Hey, hal here. Nothing special, graduated is social sciences and have some statistics knowledge. Will be starting my master's in environmental science and have been lurking around trying to refresh my memory and learn new things. see ya around.

Hi.. to All of you ???

It's Me.. Ehsun.. Full Time Masti.. N0N-Stop FUN...

I'm the student of Computer Science and Physics..

How are you All... ??

Hope you will be fine ??

I'm new here...this site seems to be a great place of learning...

ummmmaaahhhh... :(:):(:)

Hi, i am Alvaro and i'm from Pamplona in Spain. Next year i'm going to go to university to study chemistry and biochemistry, so i would be in the chemistry forum or in biology.

I've been reading this site for some months so i have decided to register.

Thanks for everything

Hello. Looks like a great place. I'm Keith from Oregon. I manage and like Science and Science Fiction, Political, Social Conversation. I can usually supply some of these subjects locally, but one needs the scope of a national or international level site to get the full picture of things. Thank you ScienceForums. I'll go mingle now.

Hey all, I'm new! :) I s'pose an introduction is in order.

First of all, you can call me Sif, Siflyn or by my real name, Sasha. I currently work as a freelance writer, but have been considering going to college for Biochemistry, or possibly nursing. In case you couldn't tell already, my favorite areas of science are mostly in medicine and chemistry. However, I do enjoy learning about all fields of science.

I also really love technology, and am a pretty avid gamer. You can usually find me on Steam or in World of Warcraft.

Looking forward to hanging out with everyone here. :D

Hi there, first of all: I'm a world-citizen. I believe that we share this tiny spot as living creatures and that we as more intelligent beings have the delicate task to look after each other and conserve this place for as long as other factors allow us to.

Since I was a child I have always been very interested in Astronomy and the Universe as whole: I always said : there must be more than just this place. I mean even the Milky Way galaxy: if there are 100B galaxies, I can simply not imagine that this would be the only perfect place for life in any form.

For many years I have been "distracted" from this due to work and other "priorities". However, I am realizing that this is something that has always been fascinating more than anything else, so my main message to many is : If you really like Science, improve your knowledge, there are always others that can help you with this. Don't think you are on your own.

Science is the only real area that can help find solutions for humanity and its survival within this Universe.... you can help with this.

Thank you

Hi everyone, just signed up to the forums and i figured I should introduce my self...so here it is

Im a uni student, soon to finish my 4th year majoring in molecular biology and biochemistry.

I love science, pretty much have since i was a kid, I like reading, thinking, learning and arguing about it whenever the opportunity arises. I also like to read, mostly science and fantasy (but not really into sci-fi), I also dabble into a bit of philosophy, history and whatever else catches my attention.

I have focused primarily on the biological sciences, but I also take a keen interest in particle physics.

Thats the short of it...and now I'm looking forward to getting right into the discussions

cheers

M.P.

Hey guys I'm Kent. I'll mostly be on here to see if anyone wants to test out my programs or help me out; if I have time I'll try to do the same for anyone else ( college student/father here, so I can only do so much).

I'm in my Junior year of college and will be graduating with a BS in Computer Science within the next few years. I hope to become either a programmer for a game developer or level designer.

My other interests include video games(duh), like LoL, Mass Effect, Halo, BF3, as well as my family.