The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hi all, just joined.

Professionally, I am a PhD Chemist working in industry. Most of my work has been in the materials science end of inorganic chemistry - crystal growth, ceramics, things like that.

I've been interested in science and nature since childhood. Outside of chemistry I am most interested in things like ecology, environmental science, herpetology, things like that. I volunteer with a local park system - have for 30 years.

I also like photography and model railroading.

Oh, good uses for decent macros as well as telephoto lenses then :). Cheers!

it has been a year or so since i last posted on this forum so i will reintroduce myself.

my favorite subjects are black holes and quantum theory.

hopefully I will be able to practice my argumentation skills and get better at it... or at least learn something new.

hello everyone!

it has been a year or so since i last posted on this forum so i will reintroduce myself.

my favorite subjects are black holes and quantum theory.

hopefully I will be able to practice my argumentation skills and get better at it... or at least learn something new.

hello everyone!

Hi ! Nice to see your ( sun image ) again .

Mike

Hi I'm Jon from Alabama. Long time lurker (4 years+) and although I do have a lot of questions I find that most of them have already been answered or will be if I wait long enough. There are a few things I did want to say. The first is that this forum is extremely well maintained and I want to thank the mods and members who cause that to happen and also Dave who apparently does the dirty work. I frequent several different MB's but this is the only one I visit every day. For those few members who complain about lack of free speech, bias,etc. I am sorry but you are just wrong although the mods do make mistakes at times they are few and far between.

I also want to thank the knowledgeable members who have added to my meager education. You probably do not realize the good that you do. I have no way of knowing how many lurkers I might represent with this post but I think there are many like me that come just to learn.

My main interest is astronomy and cosmology but I am seriously math deficient so y'all help a lot. As I am 50 and still work a lot of hours I am probably not going to learn the math anytime soon. Who knows maybe when I retire.

Hi, my name is Vishal, and I am a kid who is interested in science. I have a blog that I just started so I hope you check it out and offer me some feedback. I hope to learn a lot from this forum. Im not trying to advertise or anything, but I just want honest feedback on my work. I aspire to be a biomedical engineer one day. My blog is https://vishalscienceblog.wordpress.com

Edited by Sovish

I've used forums in the past and have had wonderful experiences with them. Since I have some downtime now at work I decided I would give these forums a shot.

I'm a pretty boring and uninteresting fellow if you ask me but, either way, I'm happy to be here.

Please introduce yourself!

I've used forums in the past and have had wonderful experiences with them. Since I have some downtime now at work I decided I would give these forums a shot.

I'm a pretty boring and uninteresting fellow if you ask me but, either way, I'm happy to be here.

Please introduce yourself!

We have a thread for that, but welcome to the fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm Kairos.

I'm a female student highly interested in physics, computers, programming and cybersecurity. I also speak fluently Spanish (my mother tongue) and French.

I love sudokus, listening to thrash, folk, viking, pagan metal and classical music (yeah, it IS possible hahahah).

I really like philosophy, poetry,social movements and social changes and custom motorbikes.

• 1 month later...

hi all. im new to this forum and hope i can join this place for discussion.

while i have an interest in most science subjects, i dont consider myself to be educated (no university) and have had problems on another forum because of this. my experience there was that uneducated people seemed to be unwelcome and so their questions are simply ridiculed and deleted without explanation.

my hope is that this forum is a bit friendlier, and more understanding towards people with no uni degree. and if something is not worded correctly, rather than just deleting, please try to discuss. like, why was it deleted, how can i re-word to come across correctly.

if discussion from an uneducated person is not welcome here, i would rather someone let me know so as to not waste anyones time.

thankyou

while i have an interest in most science subjects, i dont consider myself to be educated (no university) and have had problems on another forum because of this. my experience there was that uneducated people seemed to be unwelcome and so their questions are simply ridiculed and deleted without explanation.

my hope is that this forum is a bit friendlier, and more understanding towards people with no uni degree. and if something is not worded correctly, rather than just deleting, please try to discuss. like, why was it deleted, how can i re-word to come across correctly.

if discussion from an uneducated person is not welcome here, i would rather someone let me know so as to not waste anyones time.

thankyou

Members here don't penalise ignorance but do willfull obstinance in the face of evidence and bad or uncivil attitude. You don't have to be formally educated to have chats here about science here but if you come up with ideas or hypotheses expect them to be challenged and have citations ready to support them. If you genuinely just want to soak up information, nobody should have any reason to pick on you.

welcome to the forum. :)

In other words, questions about what you don't know are always welcome here, however simple and basic. Claims and theories that you know something that others don't without proper evidence is what's uncwelcome.

You can ask about anything, the site exists to educate people with lesser knowledge. You will do fine.

That's great to hear! I'm new here too - I did go to university but I've always struggled with the sciences, hence why I'm here now, hoping to learn a thing or two. I have some background in philosophy, but it's pretty rusty! Anyway, glad to be here.

hi everyone. im new to this forum. i hope i have posted this in the right place. i could not find a 'welcome' area.

i have an interest in most science topics, however i am not what one would call 'educated'. this has been very frowned upon in another forum and am hoping i am welcome here.

if people who are not educated are not welcome here i would prefer someone let me know so as to not waste anyones time.

thankyou

One day we all came here to learn from one another, and it doesn't matter what we already do or do not know.

Most of us still seek others' knowledge here by asking questions in topics and most of us share their knowledge with others when asked; again - no matter what we already do or don't know. There's always someone willing to explain anything to you - from very basic to very advanced. We all had and have to start somewhere.

Please feel welcome to Science Forums.

Edited by Function

thankyou for the replies and reassurance.

i would hope in this forum, if an uneducated person like myself asks a question that doesnt quite make sense to others, instead of it simply being deleted without explanation, i would ask for help in rewording it so others 'get' what im trying to ask.

really.

hhhmmm. i joined about a week ago. i did ask a question like this. but then i couldnt find it anywhere on forum 10 minutes after posting it so i was thinking either it was deleted or i didnt actually post it when i thought i did.

can you show me where i posted it before because i cant find it.

also thankyou for moving this to the correct place. "introduce yourself" thread.

thankyou

There it is. Just 4 posts above your previous post. Just scroll up.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody :) My name is Simpson, and I am a lifelong math and science nerd. I recently realized that I wasn't going to be a professional mathematician, but this is still my favorite hobby, and I am constantly finding new math problems to work on (my current favorite is the 3x3 Magic Square of Squares problem).

I have taken Calc I-III and Differential Equations courses, but matrices have always been one of my main weak points.

• 4 weeks later...