The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello.

-What, my name? Adam

-Really? Like the first man and all.

-Yeah, I'm named from a metaphor.

-Nice. Oh, by the way, where are you from?

-France. The country of wine, bread (I mean REAL bread) and buzzkillers.

-Interesting. Will you stop that non-sense dialogue soon?

-Yep. Right. Now.

So, where was I? Oh, yes, bad humor. So, I'm a french student who is about to begin an engineering school in computer science, after two years of intensive maths and physics classes (what we call "Classes Préparatoires aux Grandes Ecoles".). I enjoy various fields of science, but my preference goes to two area that greatly depends on each other : Mathematics and Computer Science. I greatly enjoy the beauty of Mathematics, and I try to let all my friends to see it too (even if I'm not Mathematician material). But my real love (and the subject I feel some true abilities in) is Computer Science. What you might call the theory (computation, information theory, complexity) and the more practical and empirical parts of it (such as NLP, Natural Language Processing).Talking about NLP, I studied a fascinating paper this year for a research project, about the word2vec program. I explained it to my examinators, and made some experiments using a corpus I formate with the novels of french writer Victor Hugo. Other than that, I write, mainly Science Fiction (hard :P ) and fantasy, but without discrimination. My heroes are Kurt Godel, Greg Egan, Alan Turing, Richard Feynman.

I might be insane too. You probably already get that.

(Oh, I excuse myself for every english mistakes I might make, it is neither my mother tongue nor my father's one. :P )

Hello, my name is TheExplorer, and well, I like to explore new concepts and ideas.

If you ever want to have a nice scientific conversation with me, feel free to message me.

My two favorite areas of science are astronomy and the medical sciences, but more astronomy.

Sometimes, I cant sleep at night because I can't stop but think about things I can't comprehend. Like what time is, or what gravity is, or how is it that life exists at all.

Today is my first day on this forum, but to be honest, it feels quite homy here. I love science, but hardly anyone I know does, so its awesome to see all my fellow nerds here.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

TheExplorer. >:D

Hi, I'm netang.

I'm a student.

I am a programmer.

I am studying at department of mathematics.

I want to find friends from foreign countries.

My English is very poor. Sorry.

Edited by netang

Hi everybody, welcome to sfn.

I noticed some of you hadn't been welcomed, and I haven't visited this thread in a while...off doing other things. Time again to do help with things I can on sfn; I'm not one of the gurus.

Flame wars aren't permitted here, be kind to everyone. Read the rules that you can find here: announcements ... among the pinned threads is etiquette.

Don't take criticism of an idea personally, that's what scientists do. Even a well liked person with a bad idea is not immune; scientists will criticize their bad idea.

Be tough, enjoy, feel free to join the discussions.

• 2 weeks later...

hello!

Im historian and economist. but im not here because of those two. im here to learn about other things. such as biology, chemistry, physics, math, medical science, astronomy and earth science.

i learn slowly so be tolerant. i also have great knowledge in philosphy and politics. i also like literature and human rights.

reason why i joined this particular site, over others, was subforum experiments. i hope to get help there with experiments i plan to do with children.

I like education and doing projects and i hope to link with people here who will help me and my community to grow.

thats it. see you around.

tentacle.

p.s. i apologize for my english.

Edited by tentacle

Hi, I'm jaydnul and I'm an alcoholic.

No, but I am an senior level undergrad majoring in physics. Also a big Star Wars fan. Emperor Palpatine is probably the closest thing to a father figure I will ever have...

A friend of mine was telling me about the benefit of being a member of a forum like this, where you can ask questions, but also share knowledge that you might be qualified to give. When I was looking for a forum to join, science forums seemed the most pleasant and well informed of the lot. Excited to come aboard!

Hello all, I am Phillip Duke PhD, a retired scientist. Now I write, edit, format, publish and promote my writing in the form of ebooks.

Advertising removed

Bye fot now.

Best regards,

Phillip Duke PhD

Edited by hypervalent_iodine

Hey all, I’m joining these forums in hopes of being immersed in new ideas and to learn. I have an M.S. in Computer Engineering and work as a software engineer which I find mostly fulfilling. Lately however, I’ve been missing the atmosphere of academia and the stimulation from being surrounded by new ideas, possibilities and people with similar passion. I’ve been in my industry for 10 years and sometimes the mindsets of practicality and bottom line are too prevalent and hinder creativity and wonderment.

Anyway, outside of computer science and AI I have always enjoyed physics and philosophy and really most fields of science. I have always had a wide range of interests and hope to stumble across some interesting new ideas here.

Thanks

Edited by Skeptic134

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Maybe it'd have been wiser to start my very first post here, but it's not still that late.

I have to say that I was born with a passion for mathematics, though I don't pursue it now. A very big fan of reading, and have covered most classics of both English and Foreign Literature. Sometimes, I write poetry, too, and my very first book is to come out in November. I'm rather slim, thinner than most guys of my age. But love hiking and mountain climbing.

No need to brag, but you'll find me in most of the forums I guess.

I was stunned by the attitude of some users on the first day of my registration. Well, it's not my first "forum" and one could just google "Hendrick Laursen" to find out more about me.

Also, Welcome all other newcomers,

feel like home here!

Bye

Hi there,

Sorry, I didn't find an introduction section, so I'll do it here.

I just joined the forum, in hope to get some different points of view and/or answers to things I'm working on (sometime on paper, sometime on application.)

I'm working in farms and have my own projects. Most of the time, it is question of fixing things that you can't get parts for (not available or not affordable) and sometime, simply some crazy DIY projects... some would call backyard engineering.

I don't have any proper qualification or formation in sciences or engineering (started Bio-engineer at the university in Belgium, at the Fusagx, but didn't achieve cause I could simply not stand sitting 8 hours a day) but I did, and still do, read a lot as I love learning.

I hope I will enjoy using this forum. And hopefully, I'd be able to help someone too at some point.

By the way, I'm originally from Belgium but live in Australia now so my English isn't perfect (my French either but I'm the one to blame for that)

Ben

Hi,

I am Alkonis, a senior undergraduate in physics, with research in computational particle physics / astrophysics and observational galactic astronomy. Also a Goldwater scholar (along wtih a lot of other fancy-sounding awards that don't really mean much).

Here mostly just to lurk and maybe chime in on some physics topics.

Greetings,

I am The Overlord. I am a science enthusiast, a keen spirit and a thirsty mind.
I am intrigued by AI, chemistry, biology, physics and debates on the nature of reality and the mind.
I enjoy engineering, robotics, psychology and history.
I hope presence in your community will quench Me.

I've found that particular thirst to be rather unquenchable personally. The more I feed it, the hotter it burns.

That said, and before I mix too many metaphors, this is still a fun place to learn and a useful resource.

Edited by Delta1212