The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hi Lizzie and Mike. I just welcome people because it is friendly and seems odd for people to leave a Hi without someone answering. Thanks for helping Mike.

And, Hi Planetman, welcome to SFN. Enjoy.

Edited by EdEarl

Hello, I'm a writer/photographer from the mountains of Virginia. I hold a degree in psychology, but my interest in this forum is for my writing. I mostly write fantasy and science fiction. I'm currently working on a piece that deals with AI and robotics, and genetics for good measure. I'm looking forward to learning from the members of this group.

Michele Rice Carpenter

Hi Michele, welcome to SFN. Enjoy. Several threads have already been started about robots, which you can find by searching. You should include 3D and 4D printing in your search, because these printers are a form of robot. And, of course, search for other important keywords such as AI, AGI, brain, and neuroscience.

IMO scientists are not far from having a robot that can operate machines in machine shops and foundries with programming to build copies of themselves. They could also be programmed to repair themselves or each other. However, AGI appears to be a long way off.

Hi,

I'm jwlallen, I've been lurking around the site for a few months so thought I'd better introduce myself.

I'm self studying maths, chemistry, physics & biology starting with the basic secondary school stuff as I wasted didn't make the most of my time on the first go.

Just really wanted to say how fascinating the whole thing is, up until a few months ago it all seemed so inaccessible but thanks to this site and a handful of textbooks becoming more aware of all the little patterns that surround us.

My next step when I've got the time is to get my hands on a few basic bits of kit and run some of the experiments in the text books. Specifically catalysts including enzymes.

Anywho just wanted to say hi and thanks for such an interesting site.

Hello there. My name is Mircea, usually known as MirceaKitsune or Taoki. I'm mostly a computer nerd... frequently into game development and animation. Over the recent years, I've also been highly interested in how the universe as well as life work, and eager to understand matter and why things are the way they are. Part of my quest with science is personal... but like many people I want to know the deeper truths behind the way everything is like. I found this place while searching for a solid forum where such subjects and more can be discussed.

So far I've been watching many documentaries created for television, as well as reading various Wikipedia articles. Since I'm dislexic (have problems reading too much at a time) and very bad at mathematics, I don't expect to grasp the full picture behind everything too soon. But I am interested in analyzing at least the logics behind things, and hope that someday I might be able to contribute at debunking mysteries science is trying to explain. Even if not, I'll try to be around and follow the news and anything that sparks new ideas.

Hello there. My name is Mircea, usually known as MirceaKitsune or Taoki. I'm mostly a computer nerd... frequently into game development and animation. Over the recent years, I've also been highly interested in how the universe as well as life work, and eager to understand matter and why things are the way they are. Part of my quest with science is personal... but like many people I want to know the deeper truths behind the way everything is like. I found this place while searching for a solid forum where such subjects and more can be discussed.

So far I've been watching many documentaries created for television, as well as reading various Wikipedia articles. Since I'm dislexic (have problems reading too much at a time) and very bad at mathematics, I don't expect to grasp the full picture behind everything too soon. But I am interested in analyzing at least the logics behind things, and hope that someday I might be able to contribute at debunking mysteries science is trying to explain. Even if not, I'll try to be around and follow the news and anything that sparks new ideas.

Welcome... I am also dyslexic, but that doesn't stop me from being good at the maths(just makes it take longer)... Just make sure you don't badly screw up something you are saying because you will have some peoples asking them self, "did I just read that?", and you could get flamed... And it's easy grasping the full picture of stuff once you get the hang of it. The maths behind the picture is the tricky part.

But you should like this forum...

Joshua

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, so far this seems like a very welcoming community and I thank you. I frequent many forums, I have been circulating only a few as of lately but I do browse many different types quite often.
I enjoy what I can learn from the vast knowledge other people have to offer, and the other perspectives that are only a finger tip away. I have found forums to help in countless ways, from fixing a toilet, to defining my personal beliefs, and my current misunderstanding of politics.

I hope to find this site rather enoyable, with a name that implies "discussions of observations" and a place for every topic imaginable, I think my mind will feel at home here for some time. As long as you people don't get sick of me first.
I enjoy spreading sourced news. I don't like to spread to much gossip unless I'm interested in how the gossip may relate to real life events, but I'll mention if it's rumor or satire first. My favorite subects of current affairs are technology, social science, and a few other branches of science.

I believe every maor conflict people have can be resolved with communication, and that communication can be considered the main source for our abundance of human technological advancement. Therefore I believe these forums along with countless others will have the potential to fix the maority of the problems our world is facing as we speak. The idea that a discussion is a building block towards social engineering should be the first thought people have when logging into a forum.
I have many many ideas on things that I have no idea about. That is why I ask questions. I hope you are all as welcoming to me after reading this as you were before and thank you for taking the time to do so.

• 2 months later...

hello everyone, my name is Daniel. I am interested in all of the sciences and love to learn new things about the universe. I have a very basic knowledge of science, mostly gained through popular science books, of which I have read many.

The first popular science book I read was Cosmos,by Carl Sagan. This is what got me interested in science and the universe.

I have been reading posts for some time with interest. As my basic knowledge has improved I find that there are more questions than answers, and I hope to put some of those questions to like minded people.

hi

Dan

I have been reading posts for some time with interest. As my basic knowledge has improved I find that there are more questions than answers, and I hope to put some of those questions to like minded people.

Awesome, welcome to a thousand conversations about your questions. :cool:

I don't think I ever introduced myself.

I'm just a college student who likes biology, human sexuality, probability theory, analytical philosophy, and online research.

I am AlphabeticalAnus, and I am a student a Malkoff Middle School in Malakoff,Texas. I am a christian, but I don't reject the big bang theory or evolution at all. I'm very interested in science, (mainly biology and physics) but I know only what I have been taught in class. However, I do know a tiny amount about other scientific things. I also love video-games, and I dabble in soccer. There's a lot of I's in my post, eh?

Edited by AlphabeticalAnus

Hi I am Odyne. I am estatic to be a member here on scienceforums.net. What brought me here was the youtube channel bigthink, which aroused my brain to a mental orgasm. And I just needed some more brain sex. So I wondered if thier was a social community for science heads like me. I began to google just that. and WHALA, the light shined on www.scienceforums.net. Before signing up, I went on a tour to see the types of sub forums, the types of discussions, the types of people, and to see if it is currently active today. I was sastisfied with what I saw, And so thus I signed up, and now the mental workout is waiting for me in the forums tab. :) Also hopefully this will lessen my time on videogames and youtube. I am an adult. it is time to put down the toys and pick up the money. I know I will have fun here cause science is fun :)

hi,my name is marty.I joined this forum more or less to learn about new lightweight structural materials that could be carried over into the motorsports industry.i have no formal education other than a squeaked by high school diploma and often times scorned for grammatical errors but have an open mind for learning new things.i enjoy all aspects of motorsports but mostly drag racing and motorcycles.I have a small shop that I work out off at home after work but would like to one day have a full time shop of my own.my father is a chassis builder and Is very successful but I would like to take it a step further with all the new advances that are available.thanks for having me and I look forward to talking with you all.

hi,my name is marty.?.........I look forward to talking with you all.

Welcome aboard .

I hope you find what you are looking for. I have been and still am to a minor extent now a " motorcyclist" .

No doubt we can discuss bikes sometime.

I went from first bike 125 cc , then 200cc, then 350 cc. Then 500 twin cc. .Honda cb 250 twin Latterly Honda cx500. Now scooter . Lots of variations in addition along the way like moped, motor cycles and side car , AA bike 500 cc single cylinder. Etc. .Lots of fun . I still love the open air , open road. Though drive a car for family purposes.

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! I am a member of several different forums (video games and tennis forums mainly), however the logical subforums on those sites left me wanting, so I stumbled here. Currently a medical student by enjoy, perhaps too much, my share of downtime. Some major hobbies/interests of mine are poker, tennis, and car tuning. Look forward to chatting you all up

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i'm June and I just found this website :)

I am 13 and have a large interest in cosmology - so i'm starting to study by myself at home.

I know, i'm very young... However, shouldn't that be a good thing as I can start my studies now?

I adore astronomy and cosmology documentaries and am working through a couple of books so I don't come across seeming to be stupid (as such).

I enjoy playing cards and memorising a randomly shuffled pack as a challlenge and I go to gymnastics

:D