The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hey, I'm The Hunter. Or just Hunter in the first person.

I really enjoy most kinds of sciences, however there are a few that I don't particularly care for. My favorite is chemistry, but after that comes biology, and then technology. Psychology would be next on the list, but that's mainly just because of its practicality in everyday life, since I'm not incredibly interested in human behavior and thought processes. One thing that I really dislike is math. It's just tiring, boring, and not fun. You're probably wondering how I can appreciate science so much without also liking math, since the two are so innately tied together. My answer would be that while math need be applied in many areas of science to achieve successful experimentation and creation, they are two completely separate things, and the math aspect can be dealt with in ways other than my personal computation.

I like to create. When it comes to science, or really any part of my life, I prefer to discover new things, make new methods, have new ideas. For many years my scientific process was hindered by this need for novelty, as I rejected tried experiments in favor of ridiculous, under researched craziness. My thought process then was that if it was already known, there was no point witnessing it firsthand, and that I could get that information off the internet. Of course I didn't realize that I required actual exposure to those already known experiments to prepare me for new ones. Luckily that phase passed when I was about eight, and while I still attempt to do things newly, I do plenty of research first and often repeat what's already known.

I've always liked science. However, being a busy person, I haven't made much time for it in the past. I decided to change that, and from here on out, I'm devoting much more effort to the pursuit of this field.

I'll be spending most of my time here posting, commenting, and reading the chemistry section. I'm always interested to hear about any interesting chemical/elemental exploits and news. I will try to put up some stories of personal chemistry advances, but since I have very limited resources for this, I might not develop any groundbreakingly efficient rocket fuel. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Really great to be here, and I look forward to doing some stuff.

Hello fellow scientists!

I'm an undergrad at the U of Iowa with an extreme need for help with GENETICS. Literally any help is appreciated. I have a pretty strong background in physics, chemistry, and especially physiology (Exercise Physiology or the effects of aging in particular).

Go Hawks!

Anyone else from Manchester, UK here? :)

From the UK down near London, but I'll be moving farther up North to Huddersifeld for Uni tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the bad weather up North. dry.gif

Welcome to the forums!

Hello all,

I am sciencelover152. I love science of most all kinds anything from physics to psychology to biology and chemistry. I'm an undergraduate science major planning on going to medical school, or getting my Ph.D in psychology. I hope that I will learn from and add to the site. For anyone who hasn't seen these videos check out the link below, they are most fun.

Symphony of Science.

Nice meeting you all- Sciencelover152.

Hello .. I am not really new to the forum, but it is time that I begin to actually post.

I am a bit surprised though that there is no real sub forum for methodological/theoretical discussions? (If I have somehow managed to miss it all along, could some please guide my attention to this sub forum?)

Hi everyone. Chose "Amaton" as my name for a fictional being I thought of. Doesn't matter how you pronounce it in your head, "uh-MAH-ton" or "AMA-tahn" is fine. Whatever suits your fancy.

Anyway, I'm a young, scientifically-minded student aspiring to achieve pinnacle knowledge so that I can one day contribute to the world in a positive way. My main focus right now is independently studying mathematics. And as I'm relatively young, I have not yet taken formal classes for mathematics beyond high school. So I'll be asking a lot of questions in the math sub-forum.

So yeah! I look forward to learning and contributing to the community here :)