The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hi everyone. Great site. Nice to see this level of discussion. My main mathematical interests include: randomness, information theory, multivariate optimization, fractal geometry, and some applied areas like survival analysis and games. Just trying to learn everything I can, albeit in a decidedly non-linear path ;-)

hi

my name is sami

i am a doctor in technical science

my email : removed by mod

I thought for any new members that we have, it might be nice to introduce yourself. feel free to do so here :)

Edited by imatfaal
removal of email address

Hello. As an introduction, I'm here, as I see it, as a refugee from the inanity of practically all other public internet discussion fora because it appears from experience that I'm either too smart or too stupid or both to be able to bear the, to me, amazing idiocy that is so common in other discussion fora. That, and the fact that I'm an amateur of sceince have led me to search for and join such a site as this.

I'm not unmindful that science-"fans" are human, too, and that they can exhibit peculiar notions--some of mine would almost certainly strike some as peculiar--but I think that I have a better chance of finding interesting people and topics and discussions here than has been the case elsewhere.

Because I prize science as a method, a way of approaching the world, there is really a very great deal about contemporary society which fills me with despair for the present and future. I am by nature not a particularly optimistic person. In other fora, my tendencies to speak frankly have found much resentment from other readers. The most recent unhappy experience was at the U.K. newspaper, The Guardian's discussion fora--which, though I haven't announced it there, I'fve left definitively. They would regard this as their gain and my loss; though I'm not inclined to see it that way.

Some people who've been important influences on me by their lives, their careers, and, most of all, their writings, have been, to give you insight into my tastes and my politics, one of my other great intellectual interests-- Bertrand Russell, George Orwell, C. Wright Mills, Karl Popper, Benoît Mandelbrot, Konrad Lorenz, and, most recently and quite importantly, the person and work of Jean-Jacques Kupiec.

Thanks for reading. Pleased to be here I hope.

Hi folks! After lurking around for a while, I decided it's time to share my vast knowledge of the universe with you all and contribute to fighting the rampant ignorance of the teeming millions that visit this forum. But I do have a nasty temper, so you'll want to be *very* deferential when asking me questions. I may or may not reply depending on the level of ignorance involved.

I am a computer science grad with far greater interest in all areas of physics. But math is not my cup of tea. So, I just strip out the mathy parts of physics, and use my powerful intuition to fill in the gap left by the equations. In case you are wondering, it's not only possible, the understandings obtained thusly are far more useful to mankind.

Hoping to dispel some ignorance around here.

Hi,

I am an old timer with an amateur interest in the sciences. Retired and disabled with plenty of time on my hands, I have been studying various topics in science particularly relativity. I graduated from college with a BA in Liberal Arts following my enlistment in the Navy during the VietNam era. To be honest, This forum may assume an education much more advanced and sophisticated than I possess. In fact, this is the first science forum I have visted. I am searching for a forum in which I can ask questions and discuss topics in the sciences. I would be grateful for any input for a person in my situation or if alternate forums would be more appropriate for my needs. Thank you.

I'm going to be that shallow idiot and say I signed up for the Air Trek forum. However I do have to say........I REEEEELY ENVY YOU GUYS!

I mean geez. I'm a Computer Science major....and I feel so outshined by everyone's genius here. I've gotten up to being a Sophmore at Eastern Kentucky University before I fell on hard times. Boy I can't wait to get back though. You couldn't keep me out of the department. Even stayed long hours into the night too. Luckly no one noticed.

Well, if they did, they never said anything....

By the way,

The particular field of Computer Science that I was there for was actually a Interactive Multimedia option which obviously delt with 3D Modeling, discret structures, understanding logic and all that fun stuff. I was barely shown a bit of Dark Basic before I ran into financial issues.

And as far as science goes...

I love science so much, I HAVE to take a science class each year to have ONE class I know I'll pass with flying colors. I have to say, I don't think I have just ONE favorite field either. I enjoyed learning about Biology, always wanted to learn about Chemistry and Physics.However I was told that my math ability is less than standard. I don't know why really.

Alas,

My only strong suit is art. I have the potencial of being a Game designer. If this were a forum on Photoshop, then YEAH! I think I'd fit right in! But of couse that's not the case.

If anything, I guess I'll be doing more lurking here and learning.....then actually able to contribute anything of value.

I'll be watching and contributing too If possible.

I swear....

I can't wait until I get back to my CS Department. It was my home away from home.

Hey guys, great forum you have going here especially seeing how active it is. Quick intro? Totally new to robotics but Im gonna try my hand at building a robotic arm. Decided to start the project on these forums, will be interesting to see how it goes!

Im kate im a new member and im starting to get more into astronomy. I feel we are on the very edge of dicovering a earth like planet or moon that will have significant impact on human history and life as we know it. I will be posting topics mainly in the astronomy section but will post in others as well. :)

you never said whether you enjoyed the dream or not Hades. Umm, well we don't want to know.

despite being Radical Edward, my name is not Edward. I am a physicist by trade, doing a PhD in some physics thing, although biology is vastly more interesting.

well ed trainee could uneven far distant planet orbit be space warping or what ask the planet hunters please

I thought for any new members that we have, it might be nice to introduce yourself. feel free to do so here :)

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum.

I am just a layman. This should sufficiently identified mefor this forum as a target.

Thanks again.

Hi Guys,

My name is Rudra. I am a Computer Science graduate from Pune University. I am working as a Senior Support Analyst.

Its high time since my i thought of pursuing my PG in M. Sc. Computer Science and finally after lot of hurdles i have managed to get in for my PG. Expect a lot of help from you guys... :D

- Rudra

Hey, I'm new to this forum

I'm from Morocco and I have a project in my mind and I wish you would help me to fulfill my dream

I'm 16 an I'm passionate about science, my favorite classes are biology and physics/chimics

I think I said enough.