The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

I'm Jack, 24, from Canada. I've always been interested in science and wanted to study it in college, but I realized it would be too difficult and take too long considering the amount of catching up I would have to do with my mathematics and scientific knowledge where it's at. I'm hoping that being here can help me learn. See you around!

Hi distinguished members,

I'm pleased to sign in as a new member. I believe I can get some help from this forum regarding my research problem and also assist others in theirs. Our contributions will go a long way to help us all to achieve great things. No contribution to help solve a problem is too small or useless. Thanks guys

Edited by Och

Found this site on StumbleUpon.

I am a housewife, my husband is a geek squad Double Agent at our local best buy. I have no post education, but I'm currently teaching myself applied and pure mathematics. I am profoundly curious with physics, though not sure where to structure myself.

My main curiosities are:

Paleontology

Animal Behavior

Conscious Thought (why do we think?)

DNA molecular studies

Brain Activity

Mathematical theories <-- Einstein's Theory of Relativity <--- How did he calculate?

I love learning, but find school extremely boring. I often ace tests with high scores, even though my typical marks are either failing or barely passing. I'm not sure what I'm wanting to learn, or why - but as long as I keep asking questions, I'll keep studying.

Hi,

I'm Nikki, 26, and I've been a science nerd for as long as I can remember, and decided to go into nursing right out of high school. To say the least, I have found that I'm more of a theoretical person, rather than practical, which is why I work more behind the scenes in nursing now. I'd love to go back to school for either anthropology, geology, or astrophysics...though I don't think my math skills will ever be up to par enough for the latter. It's a far fetch, given my age and life circumstances, but who knows...maybe someday. My mind is constantly pondering away at the thoughts about how we got her; how did the universe happen, how does it work; how did the Earth evolve, how does it work, why has it changed the way it has and what impact it had on the life that existed; how did life evolve, how did we not only evolve from ape to man, but what did that ape evolve from and so on; how might the living environment and life circumstances shape our evolution, our culture, our instincts and ways of thinking. So many things going on inside my head, so much so that at times it seems to consume my thoughts, and yet I have no one who really shares any interest in the same things. Most people I know are more concerned with their day to day life, rather than answers to the universe. So, hopefully, I will find an outlet for my crazy thoughts, where maybe it'll be appreciated. :)

Pleasure associating with you. My full names are Efiong O. Williams. I am the Technical Manager of Prochem Ltd. We are involved in the production of Auxiliary Chemical products for the industries. We produce those chemicals which the customer may not readily get from the stockists for his immediate needs.

I am a graduate of Chemistry with BSc honours in Organic chemistry and a Post Graduate Dip in Analytical Chemistry. Having worked with a number of industries for many years, I have a broad range of industrial chemical requirements and in Prochem, I help build the capacity for a gamut of products that could be useful to industries.

It would be nice interacting with your knowledgeable group for ideas that could be challenging to us.

Thanks,

E.o.W.

Hi I'm Sam, I left university a year ago and am now realising how much I miss it! I never want to stop asking questions and learning about the world, and I want to explore new areas of interest.

My main interest is chemistry, mostly physical, although I also like hearing new stuff about the sciences in general. I have an appalling memory, so anything which can be done to condense information into a nice neat theory is great by me.

Looking forward to gritty discussions!

Ok, party is over :[ ...hehe, just kidding, this seems as a cool place, otherwise i'd just leave... :}

I'm here to make the Universe a nicer place to live in. I'm little bit odd for this site, i'm interested in computer science application on all other sciences.

New member (duh), found the site by looking for reviews of microscopes (a fairly interesting thread, by the way, and made a difference in my decision).

Name - First name would suffice--Christine (are we supposed to give ages? 50-something....)

Degree/Education -- working toward BSN, previous degrees are BA and MA (Oklahoma University), and ADN (Excelsior College) (in that order), aim is MSN then FNP

Area of science (studied and most likely to help)--took every chemistry and physics I could justify as an undergrad (and then some), and still dabble lightly

Area of science in interest in addition to the already obtained/working-on degree (and most likely to help)--human pathophysiology, pharmacology, clinical applications

(someone suggested using that format was a good plan, am generally eager to please, so.....)

As for area of interest, though, pretty much anything science except (!) related to computers. Play on them, learn on them, communicate with them, do NOT want to know about chips, code, software, hardware.....

Hey from north central Texas....

Edited by ChrisRN75495

Well... I am a senior studying history and philosophy. Oh jeez! Ha. I love what science has to offer, and I have become somewhat obsessesssssssed with physics (quantum, in particular), but also neuroscience, hypotheticals, chemistry, geology....blah. All of it. I must do an interdisciplinary study. I am not sure which other discipline I want to utilize, but I do know that it will have to be science. So, where should I go? Anthropology, Physics, etc...? Above all, I just want to read waht people are writing on here. s

Hullo! I'm an armature scientist, engineer, pre-med sort of person. Raised by highly intelligent parents, equipped with insatiable curiosity and blessed with many mentors, I consider myself to be well educated. I am very pleased that I have always held my ground and gone for direct entry education rather than university. It leaves my mind free to wander, theorize, speculate and postulate.

For my first post I have offered up a challenge:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/67877-a-challenge-for-the-forum/

I am pleased to be here. I have already found the forum to be funny, practically informative and challenging. I already find myself knee deep in Einstein's fish riddle (http://www.englishforums.com/English/EinsteinsRiddleFish/bhvj/post.htm)

Cheers!

B

Hello everyone, apparently your supposed to introduce your self as a new member so; Hi, I'm a newbee :)

I have just finished my second year of a Bachelors degree in Forensic Chemistry at University of Glamorgan in South-Wales, UK. I am taking a sandwich year before my final year of study and shortly start work with the public analyst division of an analytical chemistry testing laboratory as part of my degree, which I must admit, I'm very nervous of but equally excited! But as I would like to go on to do an MSc in analytical chemistry then on to an MchemA this seems a very appropriate place to start my expedition of the sciences. Having said that I'd like to try my hand at biochem as well - so wish I started learning at an earlier age!

I have a passion for chemistry, biology and physics. I won't pretend that I'm good at physics but I do enjoy reading up on the subject, especially as most chemistry laws are derived from physics principles, I won't pretend I understand much of it, but it's a challenge which I enjoy. I also have a passion for biology and enjoy reading up on evolutionary topics. My main passion is chemistry, but, the more I seem to learn the less it seems that I actually do know!

Any how, that's a good little ramble. Speak to you all soon....

Edited by EvidenceBasedReason

I'm samsara15 and I'm retired, 70 years old, got a Math degree long ago, but spent my working life writing accounting and logistics computer software. Am hoping to use this forum to find people who can ssatisfactorily answer, or at least discuss, some of the questions that sometimes come to my mind.

Hey guys. I just signed up here, and would like to say hi.

I am currently an undergraduate at Purdue Fort Wayne, double majoring in Philosophy and Chemistry. I would like to go to grad school someday and work in the field of Particle Physics or Quantum Chemistry.

If anyone has any questions for me, please just ask!

=D

Hello! I'm TheVilliageAtheist, don't have the science chops, but I do enjoy reading about cosmology and physics, and really enjoy good debates on religion and ethics. I feel like a piece of meat right now, so please stop staring at me.

Edited by TheVillageAtheist

I guess I've had a date with this place for half a century when I built my first computer out of tinkertoys. I was close to computers my whole life and even studied programming back in the '60's. Now I'm nearly computer illiterate because they are so remarkably non-intuitive and I become more literal every passing year. I'm a natural born (and raised) scientist and studied a little physics in school but am largely a self taught generalist with my primary interest in metaphysical foundations. I used to be pretty good with equations and estimations but now use modeling to approximate realities. I'm mostly verbal and intuitive now days.

I'm on a quixotic quest to prove the obvious and have been failing broadly and utterly. It started six years ago when I deduced the stones of the Great Pyramid had been raised with counterweights that had been filled with water that appeared through a natural process at altitude and I set out to prove this wrong. It can't be proven wrong because it's most likely true and I've gained some small expertise on the Egypt that actually existed at the time this was built. This isn't a very difficult task since virtually nothing is really known and mostof what passes as fact is nothing more than assumption and interpretation. Most of it is actually material from hundreds of years later projected back to the era of pyramid building. I've attacked this problem from virtually every single angle but can't find a purchase for a prise. There are so few facts that they are all dismissed because they fit my theory perfectly and don't fit conventional understanding.

What brings me here is that the pyramid builders themselves left a significant corpus of material related to the great pyramids. This corpus (the Pyramid Texts) is wholly misunderstood by scholars because they have translated it as though it's written in the same type of gobblety gook spoken by modern man. The languages of the earth were actually confused around 2000 BC based on the meaning of the PT and other sources. Only two such languages survive from before this period because they weren't understood later. Sumerian survived and the PT survived because it was inscribed in stone under collapsed pyramids. This is what specifically brings me here; to prove the Pyramid Texts is written in something like computer code. It was a "natural" language that used a natural grammar and the forces of nature which are the terms they used to communicate have been mistranslated as "gods" for 4000 years.

I'm all ears if anyone has any suggestions and I'll defend any part of the theory. It is based strictly on the evidence and all the evidence. It will prevail eventually because it most probably is exactly the way they built pyramids and they spoke using language that couldn't be misunderstood. It could be not understood but it can't be misunderstood.

hi everyone am Kingsley Robert by name and new to this place hoping to meet and share ideas with generational inventors so that together we will bring answers to the unanswered questions ask of humanity.Kingsley is medical laboratory scientist by profession,friendly and always dedicated to the things he does.Am so happy to here