The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello there!Was reading a forum on the site here, and found the conversation quite appealing - *science content!*. Happy now biggrin.gif

Thanks for having me.

I love anatomy (human - don't know about other kinds), mentally challenging conversation, and motorcycles.

Nice to make your acquaintance.

Hello everyone, I'm a caffeine addict, and I'd like to start the recovery process.... haha jk; Well I decided I'll be doing online college soon instead of going to a traditional college (dorm/university) mainly because I can't tolerate the general population, and my funds aren't that great. I read in a guide to be motivated and productive for online college that I should create a personal learning network in which I can have discussions about subjects I plan to major. So I'm just gonna throw it out there than I am looking for friends who share similar interests.

What I find fascinating about science in particular is physics. In high school I did not care to much for science until I took physics, and then everything just clicked and made sense to me.

Hello,

About to embark on a Natural Sciences degree course and have found these forums very interesting whilst researching which modules to take.

Interested in all aspects of Science (and Maths) but particularly Physics.

I am a writer, and I have taken to the sciences like all good writers. I am not a scientist, and at some point I need help with some of the articles and such about which I write. That is why I have joined. I have already posted a topic in the Biology section titled "Extreme Heat." I would be pleased to hear any responses to the questions I have posed. Thank you.

So, the other day somebody figured out how to exploit the LaTeX math script on 4chan's /sci/ board. This exploit allowed them to alter the background of the website to any tiled image they wished. I couldn't resist the temptation, and proceeded to create a Carl Sagan appreciation thread, complete with Carl Sagan background. Unfortunately, my use of the script caused my post to be automatically flagged later, and my IP address was banned for 30 days. I can't figure out how to change my global IP address, so after spending the last 48 hours or so attempting various methods of doing that, I finally gave up and decided to just find another science/math messageboard to visit. This was the first one that came up on Google.

So hi! I'm Elen. I'm currently going to university, pursuing undergraduate degrees in physics and math; I intend on going to a bigger university later to pursue a graduate degree in astronomy or astrophysics, probably at the university of Minneapolis or the university of Chicago. Even though I'm really good at math and science, I also enjoy a number of right-brained subjects, like linguistics, poetry, and photography.

Hopefully this forum is active and full of intelligent people and enlightening discussions.

I like stuff.

When typing, my most repeated mistake is to capitalise the word "idea".

I love running down stairs. Fast as I can, so that I'm nearly in freefall. Try it. The secret is to only just touch each stair as lightly as you can.

I'm new here, and tend to blog about things.

I dont have a lot of formal education, and what I do have is 25 years old.

I have a genuine thirst for knowledge.

I'm trying to gain a new ability every 2 months for the next 20 years.

I've never written graffiti, although I once marked a bus seat with a marker pen.

After learning 120 things in 20 years, my plan is to reassess my situation.

My first post here probably wasnt a demonstration of a forum social coup.

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

I like everything except yellow banana shaped confectionery that I suspect is made of chalk, bigots, anyone with too much dogma*, and tall people.

I particularly like brandy snaps served with cream.

My all time favourite bit of graffiti is "Everyone who isn't me is a(n) [insert an insult meaningful to you]" seen carved into a bench in my 5th year of school.

You might already know me as Bullwinkle II.

I enjoy lists.

But I really like running down stairs.... and brandy snaps served with cream... Love those brandy snaps.

For more information, see my profile...

post-53616-0-77593500-1314623311_thumb.jpg

*as decided by me.

Name's Dan and I'm an unwashed home-chemist peasant.

Most of my chemical interest usually has some way of tying back to analogue photography.

I live in Melbourne, Australia, and have accumulated a nice collection of useful substances :)

Hello. My name is Ryan, which is probably obvious from my displayed name, and I am glad to join this community of fellow science lovers.

Not being one for long introductions, I'll simply say that I'm interested in a wide variety of topics, so you'll probably see me around every subforum at some point or another, though I am particularly fond of Computer Science and Mathematics.

is this like AA? Hi my name is Jim and I'm a primer number geek?

What I know about prime numbers:

1) None of my friends or family understand a word of the gibberish

2) There is no "prime number formula"

3) I must be insane....

Primes are about the subtly of the universe, produced by the most innocuous of math concepts within the grasp of a ten year old...yet this puzzle has haunted mankind for millennium (stupid auto correct)...It seems SO obvious, there should be a simple solution to such an easy puzzle, but there isn't. Like some great cosmic joke, they continue to defy rational thought and inspire crackpots. And so too am I snared somewhere between crackpot and that blank stare on my wife's face :)

At least I drank a prime number of beers today and that's always a good thing!

Hello,

I'm Andrew and I'm 16 years old. I come from Graz in Austria and am a great fan of science. Especially astrophysics has been interesting me for some time and I'd once like to follow a carrier in that field. I'm also a great fan of human spaceflight and I'm closely watching the NASA programs.

I'm a student in the 10th grade in a school with its main focus an natural science.

I was looking for a site on the internet, where I could talk about science and meet people with similar interests and I hope I found it here.

PS: Since English isn't my mother language, please excuse my mistakes.