The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

I'm a high school senior whose trying to find my way in the world. Chemistry and biology are my favorite divisions of science. Medicine and science has always been of interest to me, so I'm considering some sort of medical career, whether as a MD or as a PA. Working in pharmaceutical research is also something that I have considered. Also enjoy running, reading, and watching baseball. I can't stand politics, also. Looking to major in biochemistry when I get to college, which hopefully leads to career opportunities in several types of field. Enjoying life right now before senior year and college.

Edited by Chris_Rob

Hello! I just stumbled upon these forums while surfing around the net. I'm a student in New York studying biological anthropology. My primary interest is human osteology and forensic anthropology, although I'm also interested in primatology, entomology and, to a lesser extent, botany.

Yow,

I love science, and I have some theories about some stuff that kind of relates across numerous fields. My work seeks to reconcile bypassed ideas with modern scientific ideas, by word manipulation and conceptual understanding. If context determines the kind of language used in a text, then does it not make sense to try and understand ancient/non-modern texts using ideas and concepts common to the time?

Lots of people will simply dismiss ideas like astrology and occultism, but if Democritus hypothesised the theory of the atom based on logic alone (I believe he meant to call it a quark, but since he had little knowledge of science named it according to his understanding; an indivisible unit at the base of everything) and Eratosthenes worked out the circumference of the Earth, give or take 2,100 miles, we were doing alright in that time period. If people in that era understood, and if people and civilisations before that (pre-historic cultures) existed, I believe we should try and access all that knowledge, and attempt to understand it in conjunction with scientific theory.

However I reject the ideas of pseudoscience and irrationality, I do want hard, scientific proof, yet I will still read a text that does not possess it, simply to understand the psychological disposition of the writer.

Eh.

Dieadderalls

Hi everybody, I'm dorsh (Egyptian) ,I'm love physics and I'm studying to get master degree in theoretical Nuclear physics

I hope to get better in physics to help our country overcome problems and to have a good future ,because i love it....... I love Egypt

I want to get a fund in physics in Europe or in America to have my PhD in physics and return to my homeland to change great Egypt future

Edited by dorsh

Hi, My names Dillon

I have no college education. I've been reading a lot of the topics in the physics section. theres so much i have to learn. i feel so dumb reading this stuff not knowing 99.9% of what im reading lol

Hey, my name is Liam. I am an 18 year old student with a bizarre sleeping pattern.

Sometimes I will stay awake from 11am one day until 7am the next day without feeling tired. I will end up forcing myself to sleep by lying down with my eyes closed for close to an hour, then sleep for around 12 hours.

I have rarely been ill. I don't catch colds, or other illnesses ever.

When I sleep, I sometimes wake up mid-sleep and have lucid dream hallucinations whilst I am awake. Which is terrifying.

The most recent time I woke up to see a man in the corner of my room emerging from the shadows towards me. The room was shaking violently and I couldn't move. Eventually I managed to get free, and I ran to my curtains and opened them to let light into my room - only to discover that there was nothing there. I made something to eat and went back to sleep for another 7 hours.

I don't seek medical attention, I just want to know if there is anyone else out there who has something similar?

Outside of these episodes I am quite an energetic, normal person with a keen interest in climbing, boxing and photography.

Thanks for your time

:)

Hi..my name is Mark and I'm a poorly educated scientist. I've got a good grip on basic reasoning and have a wide range of random knowledge, and I'm awesome at video games...like that's helpful..but still--G.E.D. and no degree. My main area of study has been language and teaching, but like most of my knowledge, I don't know enough about any one area to be an expert on anything. I have a lot of interest in physics, math, and engineering, along with some special interests in politics and medicine.

Hi, I'm xcthulhu.

I recently decided to start teaching myself physics by doing one problem every day.

I'm happy that there are so many experts active on this forum, because it will be nice to have some feedback as I try to teach myself physics this way.

~XCT

Guest jessisw

Hello, the head effect be a teeny darker than I needed to be, but I appear I hardly press to ration this somehow.i am 20 years primitive, 5'9'' and 167 lbs today, pattern August I was about 145 lbs and I thought THAT was huge. I eat debris every day.:)daydream to get to be acquainted with you guys soon!

Hi Im Neph. My area of interest is molecular physics, astro biology and spacial anomalies. The resonance and harmonics of matter seem to be currently in a state of flux or change and I find this fascinating combined with the awakening of the global collective consciousness that the internet has sparked.

I am neither a scientist nor an academic, however I do find these areas of study intriguing and educational to the soul.

Greetings ladies and gentlemen. Discovered you fine folks and decided to join your community. My main passion and specialty is astrophysics but enjoy all aspects of science.

I suppose this is where I give a little background. I will be sixty-three in a few days, married for almost forty-one years and spent twelve in college.

Some people I admire and look up to for various reasons are Martin Luther King Jr., Plato, John F. Kennedy, Aristotle, Abraham Lincoln, Sun Tzu, Sir Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare, Galileo, Mother Teresa, Socrates, Florence Nightingale , Albert Einstein, Susan B. Anthony, Leonardo da Vinci, Gandhi, Nicolaus Copernicus and many others.

Music is extremely important to me. I have a deep affection for classical music. A few favorites are Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Handel, Haydn, Brahms, Bach, Mozart, Schubert, Chopin, Vivaldi, Liszt, Purcell, etc... I also am an admirer of blues, jazz, oldies, motown, opera and ambient. Anything that moves me and touches the soul. As Leopold Stokowski said, "A painter paints pictures on canvas but musicians paint their pictures on silence."

Pleased to be here and look forward to some intelligent and engaging discussions.

Hi everybody,

I am as you could guess new to this forum. Actually, I'm new to using forums in general, but I thought this might be a good way of broadening my horizon and get a feel for what is boiling out there in the real world. So here goes.

But first a little bit about me I guess:

I am 30 years old and just moved to Australia for work. I am interested in most aspects of natural sciences including but not limited to biology, physics, chemistry, astronomy and so on and so forth. Much of my childhood was spent mixing chemicals or looking up at the stars, wondering how everything was connected. My interest in science got me on the path of studying biology at the university in ny home town, and one thing took the other and now I've finished a PhD in (micro)biology. One of my hopes is that I will be able to do something good for the world through research and/or developing new technologies, and I think microbiology is a good place to start: harnesing the power of mother natures inexhaustible miniature workers!

After work I spend my time playing the piano (trying atleast) or programming web-applications with one of my friends back home - digital experiments - you could call it. The last thing we've been working on is a nerdy quiz game with science and sci-fi questions :rolleyes:.

Looking forward to some great discussions here!

Vulgaris

• I live in Epping on the northern outskirts of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
  • I am a former medical scientist and windows/C++ programmer
  • I am currently running a small landscaping business as well as working casually in the conservation sector (weed control and revegetation etc). My landscaping business is closely aligned with my work in conservation sector.
  • BSc University of Melbourne
  • Graduate Diploma in Computer Science Latrobe University
  • I suppose you could say that I am slowly gaining a partial botany degree, bit by bit, through my current occupation.
  • I am extremely frustrated that over population is not being discussed as an environmental and climate change issue.
  • Although this has recently changed in Australia thanks to Dick Smith, Kelvin Thompson, Bob Carr, Tim Flannery and several other prominent Australians.

I am a cute girl. I have a round face, two big eyes, a small nose, a small mouth, short brown hair and a pair of glasses, too.I pay attention to all details so much that some friends call me "Perfectionist".

I'm John Obik, I am a research colleague from Project Home 2011, which is a scientific research project that was investor-funded from 1979 to 2011. The project has just completed, and I thought there could be some interest in our work, and maybe some good Q&A and brainstorming in the area of magnetism, and quantum and relativity physics could come out of it.