The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello. I'm greenfred, which has been my tinternet name for a while now on various forums, but which I initially chose because of a family tradition of owning green budgies called Fred.

I'm not a scientist, but have a long-standing interest in explanations of how stuff works. (One of my proudest moments was when I was called an honorary geek by one of my geekiest friends.) I subscribe to New Scientist (so much more readable than Heat magazine) - I've tried stronger flavours of science magazine - Nature and the like - but have found them slightly over-empowering. I hope that you won't find my lack of detailed knowledge too off-putting - I'm just a fan here to learn.

I joined this forum to ask a specific question, but I like the feel of it, so might stick around for the Java - ah, you know what I mean. (: (How do you all feel about emoticons BTW? I used to hate them, but I've recently realised that they come in quite handy from time to time.)

Hopefully see some of you up ahead. Thanks.

Hello Divine-Sparks (made, partially, of star-dust!) I'm new to Sf (n) but otherwise very old as a soul.

PS: I believe in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) Charter - Article 19, namely: Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Also - a free-spirit and individual-thinker, virtually completely self-taught* (*like Edison, etc.) - I trust that the respect for everyone's opinions without interference - reigns supreme on this very special forum - and that I'll not only enjoy open-minded; individually-inspired, light-hearted* (*non-dictatorial) discussions about (virtually) every subject under the sun - but also learn something new; thought-provoking and valuable. Something that makes my (precious) time - spent with other Sf (n) members - hugely rewarding and worthwhile.

And, sure you feel the same way, one thing I can and do guarantee - is to think! Deeply, where it is called for; not so deeply where the discussion and/or debate at hand, is in itself (primarily) thoughtless.

Thanks. I believe a unique and very interesting learning curve lies ahead!

All good wishes,

Aster C. Linn.

Eastern Cape South Africa

That's brilliant, Kirsty! I read all about plants and their (growth) responses under different colored lights in an old Pear's Cyclopaedia of my Dad's. PS: he was born in Edinburgh, Scotland - so, both Scots, I guess we're related? Happy studying!

Hiya I'm Kirsty, a level 4 undergraduate student at the University of Glasgow, Scotland. I am studying plant science, particularly interested in photobiology and the responses of plants to light.

Well . . . that's nice? How old are you now?

HI!

I am rktpro and I have done no work(F.S) since my birth!

Brief, straightforward and to the point - no embellishments and no 'frills.' I like that. Are you a Sagittarian, by any chance?

Hi Everybody, I'm new.

Hi All,

I am new here. After ten years of doing environmental GC/MS analysis I decided to go into teaching. My degree is in biology/marine science anyway, so environmental chemistry was just really not my thing at all. I was coaching ice hockey and decided...I wanted to work with kids...not "groan ups." So...that's what I did...twelve years ago. Have enjoyed every single day since! Spent seven years in an at-risk school (which I loved) and now at a high-achieving school (which I also love). I don't pay any attention to the inevitable B* that burns so many good teachers out. I just close my door and teach and learn. My Dad was a teacher for thirty years, so that helped a lot to prepare me for the "reality"

I love ice hockey (what got me here), nature photography, and music. I play and collect guitars and love jazz and hard-core fusion. Great wife, great dog, love my job. What more can you ask for? So...that's me.

Edited by jbear

Hey Iam bad with introductions but I thought I could adleast say hallo too you all. :) Not sure what to say here .... I live in France and plan on relocating to the states soon. In a matter of fact Iam leaving to Chicago the next day with my spouse. I will be back in a week if any one want ill post some pics:)

Hello Divine-Sparks (made, partially, of star-dust!) I'm new to Sf (n) but otherwise very old as a soul.

PS: I believe in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) Charter - Article 19, namely: Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

(...)

FYI there is no freedom of speech on this Forum. I started a thread on the subject once.

Welcome.

Edited by michel123456

Hello everyone, it's really nice to be here to chat with gurus in renewable energy. Actually, looking for mentorship, partnership and mixing technology for ethanol gel. Only serious and first hand experience. Ready to work with whoever cares and great opportunities in West Africa. Thanks

Welcome, welcome, to all the new members. I hope you've gone ahead and started posting and haven't been waiting for an acknowledgment here, not everyone reads this thread. We're all awfully glad you're here though, and we hope you have fun, learn lots and post often. Cheers!

Hello. I'm Fred V. I have degrees in Physcis and Meteorology. During the Vietnam War, I was in the Air Force, serving as a Captain/Navigator (KC-135's and C-130's) and as a Command Briefer, 8th AF Hdqtrs, Barksdale AFB, LA.

I have worked in the oil and gas industry for over 40 years (gas processing, natural gas liquids handling and storage, fractionation, marine terminal operations, gas plant Engineer and Manager, Supervising Int'l Project Engineer, gas and liquid meassurement expert, gathering system design and operation, expert witness, etc.

Hello, everyone!

My name is Fernando. I've been a long time reader of this forum, and I really love it. I've learnt so much!

I am a professional composer and music producer, but one of my other passions is science, especially physics. Even though I can not understand the mathematics behind the theories, I think I'm starting to get a general grasp of a few things at a science-enthusiast level.

It is an honor to now belong to this community, and to be able to talk to and learn from real scientists!

Hello everyone! I'v been a professional programmer for roughly 15 years (You know we carved code on large stone plates back then). Love to read and write about popular subjects such as astronomy, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence and computer science.

Cheers

Hi, I am Rezarf and I am a HND student studying BioMedical Science. I am interested in DNA extraction just now and I am looking for ways of extracting DNA in the lab using E. coli, Human cheek cells and plant tissue.

So anyone with any good ideas or information just let me know thanks.

From sunny Scotland, where we get all 4 season in 1 day, lol.

Rezarf

Hi,

I'm in Bristol, UK, have a regular office desk job, but completely intrigued by theoretical physics, cosmology and biology especially - probably like lots of people!

I don't think I'll be able to contribute much in the way of intellectual thinking here, but I'm quite happy asking questions and learning what I can (if that's OK!).

I have a couple of friends working in CERN, and I must admit to a mix of real admiration and envy for what they do.

So, hope you're well!