The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello, I'm Nick

I love to talk about, Dark Energy and the Unified Theory of everything.

I have developing a theory of everything for the last 25 years.

I have a few predictions about the fate of the universe.

I also have a good explanation of the big bang.

Best Regards

Nick

Hi!

I'm Kylie and I am an organic chemist, currently working on radical substitutions on aromatic systems using hypervalent iodine reagents.

I love all things organic chemistry and I am partial to some areas of biology and maths. I have a passion for teaching and assisting others in their understanding of chemistry - the more chemists in the world, the better!

Hi all. Im a chem-buff in a paranoid political environment (aka Scandinavia), which makes me also a chemical equipment-buff (its illegal to buy chemsets, even for 12year olds, which somewhat forces me to be innovative,,, so far, my chemset consists predominantly of garbage such as empty cans, bottles, jars, plastic hoses etc.)

I like to work with plants, but since its POSSIBLE to make a bomb out of fertilizers (with high N or P content), the commercial fertilizers have through laws&regulations become extremely inflexible (i.e; either kills my plants, or messes up everything one way or the other), so my current project revolves around the goal of making my own from, well, whatever.

I suffer from compulsive curiosity (selfmade diagnosis), which is extremely addictive, and puts me suffering with daily withdrawals. That is why this forum may treat me just like an "intervention" of alcoholics would.

,,,, In other words: "Hi, Im Edenite, and Im a wannabe nerd"

Hi all,

"Owl" here... a newbie but an old fart (65) and an amateur scientist (a retired psychologist and philosopher) with an avid interest in the ongoing science/philosophy discussion around the ontology of spacetime. I've read a ream of stuff on it and just finished an essay about it which I hope to put on a blog here as soon as I meet the time/posts requirements.

Meanwhile, I"ll be reading related posts and pitching in when so moved.

Thanks to the admin. for helping me register. I am not only old and forgetfull but quite lame re this new-fangled technology.

Owl

I am brand new and here to try to dissuade literalists and fundamentals from their current God and introduce a better one.

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are Religionists.

They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Belief in fantasy is evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHaClUCw4&feature=PlayList&p=5123864A5243470E&index=0&playnext=1

They also do much harm to their own.

African witches and Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI&feature=related

Jesus Camp 1of 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqGhcwwE1s

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.

Fight them when you can.

-----------------------------

Religions have yet to make their case for a real God and the Abrahamic cults, Christianity and Islam follow a God who is demonstrably a rather immoral dude that could just as easily cure those he thinks defective yet murders instead. These murders are of course just good old justice to his deluded followers.

It is also impossible for non believers to prove that there is no God and they are foolish to try to do so. When I discuss God with theists I try to speak to their Gods moral character instead of his reality. This, with the few who can think, reduces the name calling and makes for a sometimes winnable argument unless they bring out theist trump card of----God is God and he can break whatever rules he sets for man with impunity because he is of course God.

The above shows why we cannot prove God’s non existence.

Below I include to show what I give to the I D crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNiTsYCkyI8&feature=more_related

My thinking, as a Gnostic Christian, my closest but not exact label, is closer to atheist thinking yet because of my personal apotheosis, I cannot call myself this old label that I once took. Since the mode of access to the cosmic consciousness is through our minds, I am a strong supporter of the notion of the God within much like Gnostic Jesus was.

The Godhead then that I know is a cosmic consciousness and our next evolutionary step. No proof and no dogma to sell so please do not ask for any. I have also enjoyed all the labels that non believers reserve for any that claim belief without facts so please do not bother. It is like water off a ducks back. As far as I could ascertain from my brief touch of this Godhead is that it is not a miracle working super absentee God. That one as far as I know never existed. I am an evolutionist. It was born of the first true human and awaits us all. There is no hell. Theists tend to not like that as they tend to love to hate and want to see the --others-- burn. Yuk.

What lead me to my apotheosis was thinking like this------

Candide

"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPClzIsYxvA

And I call us all Gods WIP’s and evolving perfection.

I try to KIS and give and take at whatever decibel level you want but tend not to take just plain abuse unless it is teaching me something and like a lively down and dirty debate.

Patience with fools is definitely not my style and I do not mind calling Bible God a genocidal S O B.

I also like to accentuate that kind of statement with You Tube, which BTW, I use often.

Regards

DL

I dutifully read the automatic welcoming message that arrives at one's e-inbox and I see that everybody's expected to introduce him/herself, so I'll say that I'm a Seventies college dropout who dropped out in his third semester of Biology and that's all the higher education I ever got, but I never lost my scientific curiosity. I've been an amateur astronomer for a quarter of a century now, ever since taking an introductory course imparted by an engineer who studied astronomy at the University of Paris. That was in 1985, when everybody was excited about the imminent arrival of the Halley Comet, which was a complete failure this time. Now we have to wait for another 76 years and I can't wait that long, unless the longevity pill is invented soon (some people actually believe this).

I'm not as old as "owl", with whom I share this page 98, but I'm just six years younger.

On page 1 someone makes some demeaning comments about this thread. He thinks it's all rubbish. As far as I'm concerned it's the other way around. There are many amusing remarks. People should say how they got here, too. I discovered the site yesterday when I did a search on the Branly effect, which is discussed here. This was because I was reading an article about it in the "Scientific American" mag.

(enviado el 21/1/11 al tema de las presentaciones personales en Science Forums, p. 98)

Hello, I'm Jack, brand spanking new here, and I seem to have navigated my little canoe of reason through the murky sea of science and come out on philosophy... should I be worried?

Straight philosophy will likely be well accepted. Philosophy of religion would see you in white waters.

Regards

DL

Edited by Greatest I am

Straight philosophy will likely be well accepted. Philosophy of religion would see you in white waters.

Regards

DL

Not sure what that means, but I'm agnostic, so, while I may play devil's advocate, I don't promote religion, in fact, as someone who was raised catholic, spent a lot of time at christian services, and have been associated with some of the other major religions, I sincerely feel that, religion/spirituality being neither here nor there, the religious institutions are the major problem with that entire area of human life.

Mainly I have what might be called an obsession with veracity. I don't believe science to be absolutely true, but love it for being a search for some form of truth, generally, the form of truth that humans can share in common, and thus can use to best deal with the world around us. I think the saddest thing is how science's attempts at truth are corrupted by many flaws in humans, but even more so, how it often never translates into the "real" world, as in, the things that are taught in schools as science, reported in news (even science journals) and other media, and they way that, in that context, a great many things are portrayed as some sort of absolute truth. i'm afraid that in those respects, I often find myself seeing "science" and "religion" as highly analogous.

Personally, I feel that the closest thing I can get to truth is experiential. What I perceive directly through my own senses is what's most true to me. Even so, believing that my perception is built on a) physical processes both outside and inside my body and b) ideas and beliefs that are a part of me because of my physical make up as a human being and cultural upbringing (general culture, family culture, personal culture), as well as many other factors, I chose to believe that my truth is subject to change, and needs to be constantly questioned as much as possible.

Not sure what that means, but I'm agnostic, so, while I may play devil's advocate, I don't promote religion, in fact, as someone who was raised catholic, spent a lot of time at christian services, and have been associated with some of the other major religions, I sincerely feel that, religion/spirituality being neither here nor there, the religious institutions are the major problem with that entire area of human life.

Mainly I have what might be called an obsession with veracity. I don't believe science to be absolutely true, but love it for being a search for some form of truth, generally, the form of truth that humans can share in common, and thus can use to best deal with the world around us. I think the saddest thing is how science's attempts at truth are corrupted by many flaws in humans, but even more so, how it often never translates into the "real" world, as in, the things that are taught in schools as science, reported in news (even science journals) and other media, and they way that, in that context, a great many things are portrayed as some sort of absolute truth. i'm afraid that in those respects, I often find myself seeing "science" and "religion" as highly analogous.

Personally, I feel that the closest thing I can get to truth is experiential. What I perceive directly through my own senses is what's most true to me. Even so, believing that my perception is built on a) physical processes both outside and inside my body and b) ideas and beliefs that are a part of me because of my physical make up as a human being and cultural upbringing (general culture, family culture, personal culture), as well as many other factors, I chose to believe that my truth is subject to change, and needs to be constantly questioned as much as possible.

Yes. Daily judgments are a must.

I do not see the institution at fault.

I cannot give fault to a mindless entity like institution.

Fault only exists for one who can understand the concept of fault and that takes a man.

In these for instance. You will see that it is humans within the institutions that do evil.

African witches and Jesus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI&feature=related

Jesus Camp 1of 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqGhcwwE1s

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.

Fight them when you can.

Regards

DL

Heyo everyone I'm delta science, I'm doing my bachelor in industrial and enviromental microbiology in Colombia, currently doing an internship in molecular biology and genetic engineering in germany, I also had some experience with bioprocess, production of bioethanol, biocontrolers for pest control, and some other stuff, I'm here to learn and also help if I can, see you on the other side people, have fun! +_+

Greets!