The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hi, everyone. I'm CyanideScience (a reference to the book, A Mad Man Dreams of Turing Machines).

I'm heavily interested in pretty much any area of biology (molecular biology, mircobiology...), physics (specifically quantum mechanics, but other areas, too), and genetics. Overall, though, pretty much all science interests me greatly.

"Man loves to wonder, and that is the seed of Science."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

:D

I have sort of a question. Since time slows down for a space traveler does that not give them more time in life to visit deeper into space? In one discussion I saw on TV time slowed down for you the farther you got from a gravitional body. If this is true, whold not you almost have an infinite time to get to another galaxy?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I have sort of a question. Since time slows down for a space traveler does that not give them more time in life to visit deeper into space? In one discussion I saw on TV time slowed down for you the farther you got from a gravitional body. If this is true,would not you almost have an infinite time to get to another galaxy after you leave the milkyway?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I am new to this forum. I am 71 years young. I have a batchelor's degree from OBU, Oklahoma Baptist University. Not much but I did it after retiring from the Navy. I was older than nearly all my professors. My physics course was Cosmology. Of course I graduated in 1986. One of the people that landed on the moon graduated from this school and sent a moon rock which is on display. I was bitten by the bug and I don't want to be cured. lol

Moderator Note: You should post your question in our Relativity section [link], where it will get more attention than in this introduction thread. Welcome!

Edited by Phi for All
Consecutive posts merged.

Hello. I'm Tui and joined to find answers to the occasional questions I have. As an example, I was sitting waiting to be picked up outside the supermarket and the sun was shining. There were a few spits of rain which didn't concern me but I could see some black cloud moving rapidly. Almost immediately after that a strong smell of sewerage permeated the air and I thought there must have been a plumbing problem somewhere. The storm hit with wind, rain etc. I ran into the supermarket which has a plant centre attached and the smell was still there but not so bad. I looked for some clues on this forum and found that there is some kind of release from plants after a dry spell usually when a storm is about to hit. Perhaps this was it. Anyway I was interested and if anyone else has a possible solution other than the sewerage one, I'd be happy. Cheers.

Edited by Tui Bennett
Wanted to add my question

i was wandering how to aquire some KNO aka potassium nitrate, i want to make a smoke bomb, i have the know how, just need ingredients. does any1 know what consists of this ingrdient so that i don't have to buy anything off the net. just prefer that way. thanx

Hi, I'm twistor59, I'm a member of Rationalskepticism.org and heard about this site from there. Mathematical physicist by training, but have worked as a systems engineer for the last 25+ years.

Also from Rationalskepticism.org. I am a post doc in psychology at a university in Germany.

Nice to see you guys here. I hope you enjoy SFN!

i was wandering how to aquire some KNO aka potassium nitrate, i want to make a smoke bomb, i have the know how, just need ingredients. does any1 know what consists of this ingrdient so that i don't have to buy anything off the net. just prefer that way. thanx

You may want to go over to our Chemistry section and do a search. There have been many threads on this subject.