The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hey,

Sau1us, from eastern Canada. I work in a biochemistry lab working on masters. I also work as a planetarium operator. I look at the very large and the very small. See you guys on the boards.

hi i am new. pls tell me how to create threads & reply to other threads. have a few doubts.
You replied to this thread so you did that well. It would be great if you would type whole words, since text speak is not the easiest for our global membership to read. Just pick a sub-forum for the topic you want to discuss and there is a New Thread button at the top left that will start... well, a New Thread.

Tell us what your doubts are about, perhaps in a New Thread, and we'll address them there.

Welcome and have a good time. :)

Hello everyone, I am an musician/film maker for the Netherlands, and recently I made a video for one of my songs which is based on a scientific experiment with maizena, water and a sub woofer. As an artist I try to make art out of scientific experiments, and to film it in such a way it looks extremely abstract.

Let me know what you guys think!

Hello,

for the first post it seems prudent to repesent what many will find out later;

I am an autodidact that may articulate in an esoteric manner.

I consider myself honest and expect the same from any who wish to debate

Please be patient with me.

Learning and sharing is my job!

Hello!

This forum is ‘new country’ for me and I’m not sure how my membership and posts will be viewed for… I am a science fiction writer* in need of a sounding board. However, I do have ‘some’ redeeming qualities. For instance…

1. About 10% of my reading is ‘Arm chair’ physics, cosmology, quantum mechanics, astronomy, other sciences. I’ve read (studied) Einstein’s general/special TOR; everything by Hawking, by Sagan and so on. At least between the mid 70s and early 2002. I am about 7 years behind right now. Oh, I am an avid reader devouring at least two books a week -- other reading was 80% Science Fiction; 10% other.

2. I haven't watched TV in 30 years except for scientific documentary type shows.

3. For 20 years I was a programmer/systems programmer/system administrator/software architect (designer; XML, design patterns, rational rose)/MIS.

4. All my sci-fi stories are science based and even if its ‘future’ science (as in ‘science fiction’) it must be plausible. I do use my literary license and I guess that might be my contracting and expanding definition of plausible.

In my current ‘work in progress’ (The Spiral Slayer) I go out on a twig and actually build a futuristic model of the universe with regards to what the future might hold for cosmology, physics, quantum mechanics and… a few other little things like…

* What the universe does before its birth and after its death,

* The answer to “Why are we here?”

* Medicine man, alchemists, scientists, then… <replacement>, <replacement >

* How you can learn everything that can be known and, how you can understand all this.

* How you travel between super clusters,

* How you journey across the universe while observing the speed of light barrier

by beating out the accelerating expansion of the universe

by… Lets go surfing now… on the wave of space/time creation

(or skipping across virtual particle pairs).

* A second way that the universe expands (or probability*probability*probability… …)

* How to juggle black holes and even make them vanish and reappear

* How you replace dark matter and dark energy

with absolute (space/time) vacuums

and hollow shells of plasma called stars...

without anyone noticing

I'm not looking for any replies on any of the above yet.

I’m ready to be stomped, flamed and ridiculed but… not yet.

My question: besides the ‘trash can’ (LOL I hope), where would I post sci-fi science proposals

like the above except with more info like my logic or how this might happen or be? As stated,

I need a sounding board.

Cheers and sorry for taking so much bandwidth,

Ron Williamson

*I’m a writer of IT Technical Articles (circa 1985-90; Computerworld, Datamation) who is working on his first science fiction book.

Edit: As always, I will search/research for a resonable amount of time before posting.

Edited by rrw4rusty

Like the rest of those on this thread, I too am new to this forum. I will look for your writings as I am currently reading 1930's Science Fiction short stories from authors such as Clifford Simak, Jack Williamson, Charles R. Tanner, Stanley Weinbaum, Asimov, Campbell and other authors of the era. The difference is between the old and the new are astounding yet welcomed as many of today's writers reiterate the same ideas and concepts as before. These authors were original in thought and came up with new solutions for things that yet to come in technology.

To tell about myself, I am a former soldier, retired due to the injuries that I had sustained in Iraq. I was an Engineering Lab. Tech. in the Navy before then.

Hello,

My main interest now is the science of photography. In particular I am interested in the human visual system and visual perception. To paraphrase Gazzaniga in his book "Human," I wonder if science can tell us whether art appreciation is hardwired in our brains.

My writing on this subject has been excerpted by Michael Reichmann and can be found at http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/art2.shtml

Also, I BLOG about science and photography at photophys.com. Please visit.

Hey,

Im 16 years old and new to science, so if I seem a little naive, please go easy on me!

I want to talk to interesting, well educated people and hopefully learn alot from you.

I want to become a doctor, that goal has been fairly new and I want to try and succeed and it in every possible way.

XOXO

Hey everyone. The name is Vivian and I'm a current undergraduate at MIT, double-majoring in EECS (electrical engineering & computer science) and Management Science. I have interests in all fields of science (especially astrophysics!) so hopefully I can both contribute to and enjoy what this community has to offer =)

Hello

I'm just a cheap old guy wondering why the old alkaline batteries I was about to dispose of have developed a pretty useable negative voltage. They sat in my "dead batteries" box for possibly 3-4 years.

I tried them in my flashlight, upside down & now it seems these old dead batteries arent so dead after all !! They were unusable at one time, and sat on a shelf in my bad battery collection awaiting disposal.

Is this a normal known fact??

Why bother to re-charge alkalines if they can just be flipped over after a couple years of laying dead??

I have about 15-20 old batts that are now useable again with a negative charge - "AA"s & "AAA"'s - that apparently can be re-used, if I flip them over, so I know its not just a fluke.

I posted a thread in your General Discussions, I hope to learn why it happens, & if I'm the only guy who didn't know!!

Thanks, Mike

I have the tendency to ask, "why?", with the purpose of knowing the mechanism behind observed or apparent things, to an extraordinary degree.

It helps me organize my universe systematically.

That helps me in science..

But then, I also have a rather creative and completely unscientific side. I can be quite emotional as well.

I am a 19 year old male who wants to live to..the fullest. Whatever that exactly means.

What is it to live to the "fullest", I wonder?

It depends on who you are!

For me, I just want to live a socially normal, financially sound life where I can be respected and possibly even loved by others for being who I am: a curious, well-meaning, sometimes naive person that wants nothing more than to be accepted.

Welcome one and all since my last general hello...

I'm not looking for any replies on any of the above yet.

I’m ready to be stomped, flamed and ridiculed but… not yet.

My question: besides the ‘trash can’ (LOL I hope), where would I post sci-fi science proposals

like the above except with more info like my logic or how this might happen or be? As stated,

I'd suggest the speculations forum.