The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello,

I'm Durro, a 42 year old Radiographer from Brisbane, Australia. I was alerted to this site over at the Richard Dawkins Forum when a fellow RDF member mentioned that one of our more notorious and recently banned members was now trolling over here. I thought that I would take a look and liked what I saw - your forum that is, not the trolling.

I thought that I might visit now and then, and perhaps contribute to discussions, particularly in the areas of medicine and general science. Your brain teasers section looks inviting too.

A bit about me ? I'm married with two lovely children. I'm a black belt in karate and a keen tennis player. I spent 5 years in Saudi Arabia with my wife and am currently writing a book about our many weird experiences there. I like to read and am keen to learn more from sites such as this one.

Have a great day from Down Under.

Durro

Hello,

I am 39 years old, and my main interest area is astronomy/Quantum Mechanics/Mathematics.

I have an MSc in Computer Science from Essex University, and currently studying with the OU, trying to improve my understanding and knowledge of science. This year I have opted for MST209 Mathematical Methods and Models, which I find very interesting especially with regards to differential equations.

I also love science fiction, fantasy and horror in general. Grew up reading Isaac Asimov, Ursula K. leGuin and a few other Masters of SF and Fantasy.

My interest in science was first instigated by Isaac Asimov and his Robot series, and then Carl Sagan with his wonderful Cosmos series. Used to be in love with that one, and every week was waiting for the next installment of his Cosmic Calendar.

I am writing from Athens, Greece where I live and work currently.

Hi, im 23 years old,

i come from Europe,

i like electronics and physics.

Im sure i can learn alot from all of you.

...and one day i get the Nobel prize

...for something

...in some dimension

May be in this one too

P.S. my english is not perfect :D

Hello all!

I'm Inquisitor, middle aged bachelor from Northern Europe. Although low on education, I have read every hard science book I have gotten my greasy hands on. And every other book as well.

I'm also a christian, and believe in Christ, God and the Holy Spirit. I also believe in prayer, which will make you smirk.

Still, I'm no fundamentalist. I do not take Bible to be literally true or even very reliable, as it was written by diverse people, although I do think most of the Bible was compiled with Divine Guidance.

Anyways, I like sciences. There is nothing in them that is against God. After all, if God createth the universe, surely by studying the said universe we can better understand both God and the mysterious ways He moveth.

Oh, and I do believe in evolution, which makes me big heretic and an atheist in the eyes of my peers. To me, it is silly to think God would create every single bug, plant and animal species when he could just put evolution into motion and let the creation happen by itself! Plus, evolution, from the point of God, has the big advantage that one can never know what sort of life it creates. Take dinosaurs: God must have been agog! And seemingly He liked the dinosaus a lot, as they lived so long, uncontested, upon earth.

I sometimes wonder wether God likes us more than He did the dinos. After all, the dinos never polluted the seas, never ripped mountains open to get to some coal deposits, never poisoned the air, and never tried to kill each other in highly organized manner. Maybe one day He decides that enough is enough, and sends a nice big meteor our way.

Still, no worries, eh? We can always send Bruce Willis on a daring mission to stop any evil meteorites, and Pierce Brosnan to plug any rudely gigantic supervolcanoes from exterminating us.

Hi :)

I'm Tsuyoiko, Mathematics and Philosophy graduate from the UK. I'm interested in everything scientific, but especially Maths, Quantum Theory, Neuroscience and Genetics, quite a random selection I guess. I'm also addicted to video games and Russian literature :cool:

Hi :)

I'm Tsuyoiko, Mathematics and Philosophy graduate from the UK. I'm interested in everything scientific, but especially Maths, Quantum Theory, Neuroscience and Genetics, quite a random selection I guess. I'm also addicted to video games and Russian literature :cool:

Hi Tsuyoiko!

Russian literature rocks. Brothers Karamazov, anything from gogol, and then the soltsenitzin chap who wrote about the prison camps of the intellects are my favourites.

Say what you like about communism, it did produce some top literature. Mind you, I suppose many of the greatest writers lived before the communists came to power...

Of the greats, I detest Tolstoy. He writes like a woman in love. But that's just me. What book and writers do you find the best???

Hi Inquisitor :)

I'm not a big fan of Tolstoy either. I think he moralised too much. However, I do think he had a real talent for characterisation. I find his characters very believable. My favourite by far is Dostoevsky. I love all his books and I almost feel like he's an old friend. I'm reading The Idiot at the moment, and it's almost like being back in my Philosophy tutorials at university, as well as being an absorbing novel. I like Solzhenitsyn, Gogol, Pasternak, Turgenev. Dr Zhivago is one of my favourite novels of all time. I think Lara Antipova is one of the greatest literary heroes ever created.

Ooops, you got me started... :embarass:

hi all.

i'm syazwan, 26. chemist from Malaysia. in the e-waste recycling company to recover precious metals. fire assay is my thing. hope to share infos with you guys.

ciao.

p/s : still have no guts to mix aqua regia with NaCN just to see it 4 myself.

lol! Now every member would introduce themselves. Even if they are 10 years old in the forums!

Hi! I'm aommaster! IAS my name signifies, I am a master at Age of Mythology!

ao, "master of a age of mythology" what does that mean?

Just an old man here..interested in a little bit of everything...born with curiosita disease and have found a cure for it yet. I have been in model aircraft since 1948 and still build and fly RC planes. Interested in Tesla related projects and (Free, an unexplainable term) energy.

Deep feeling, Deep roots and willing to listen. I travel on the level and live by the square.

Looking forward to being amongst you smart people, maybe some of it will rub off.

Life is 10 % how you make it and 90 % how you take it.

Cheers

ole Blake

HI

I'm June.

I kinda stumbled across this site accidentally... and joined to respond to something specific...

But it seems interesting and I'm into staying!!

I find sience very interesting, but I don't personally have a scientific mind... so it's something I can respect and admire very much! (So, most of the people here, I respect and admire you!)

I'm into many art forms. I write LIGHT SF. (Which is where the science comes in, I suppose.)

I'm most specifically interested in Theoretical Physics.

I over use ... and am a bad speller.

HI

I am a reader Writer and collector of books my interests include

chemistry- biology -anatomy -improvised explosives construction manuals--

and a part of my collection is hosted on scirbd here

Regarding my User name on scribd Evil science It is a reference to Evil Genius - Mad scientists of cartoons (bugs bunny's Marven the martin was my child hood role model)

MY email is

dead-phoenix-press@xemaps.com

I encourage intelligent conversation and debate but have no time for wingers and complainers (m.w)

Hi,

I'm glad I found a science forum. I am actually a software engineer and i got tired of doing my usual stuff I took a fast course in chemistry to do my own research about how things actually work, in microscopic level.

I hope it will be fun learning new stuff in this forum.

Thanks