The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

I'm Murakami (my japanese last name). Just recently I've become interested in anything science related and would like to know more about pretty much anything.I'll sit back for a while and observe the forum discussions if no one minds and hopefully get a good feel for what these forums are like.(not a stalker)

Welcome to SFN. I hope you enjoy the stimulating discussions we have to offer!

It appears you've set your image as your profile picture rather than your avatar. The profile picture only appears when you look at your profile, rather than next to all your posts.

Weird, I know, but that's vBulletin for you.

Hello all. First let me say that I am not a scientist. I am however an enthusiast and think I will really enjoy reading the forums here. That being said; my user name in an anagram of my real name, I live in Austin, I make art for games and spend plenty of time walking my dogs, Poly & Theo.

I'm a retired IBMer. I retired in 1991 as an advisory engineer. I worked at the IBM laboratories and plants in Kingston,NY; Syracuse,NY; Puughkeepsie, Fishkill,NY; Essex Junction,VT;Manassas,VA;BocaRaton,FL;and Charlotte,NC.

What a trip! I started as a Field Engineer on the "Sage system" (AN/FSQ-7), then got into transistor and integrated circuit development, then manufacturing, software development, printer development, system development (IBM S/1 and original PC ) After retirement I worked as a computer (software) consultant for companies such as Mutual of Omaha, Prudential, AT&T an Vistakon. I permanently retired in 2001 after the Y2K non-fiasco.

I currently reside in Middleburg, Florida doing as little as possible.

Hello, I'm a 23 year old physics student. I've just graduated, earning a B.S. in physics, and minors in mathematics and astronomy. Currently, I'm working on applications to graduate school where I hope to earn my PhD in physics. My areas of interest are: condensed matter physics, astrophysics, relativity, and high energy physics. That pretty much covers the spectrum.

I'm also an avid trumpet player and brewer of fine beers.

Hey, I'm demosthenes, avian american, aidan, whatever you wanna call me

I've been fascinated by sciences all of my life.. And the school curriculum isn't cutting it for me..

I'm only 14 years old, but this isn't a problem (now ive had my chat with phi for all, very helpfull person there).. the most brilliant minds were adolescent at one point, too =p

My mind wanders to mainly how to lift a man with sustained flight or with wings.

I appreciate discovery and the sciences and keep an open mind to think out of the box.

My scientific vocabulary is pretty good for a 14 yr old but not complete, so dont go easy on me but if i ask please explain, speculation and hypothesizing come naturally, so i can communicate on par in that way

Thanks for letting me contribute.

Hi to everyone,

I'm Jon and am very much a beginner. At school the subjects within science fascinated me though I did not possess the aptitude to excel in them.

Time moves on and I now have children which I would like to encourage in these interests, by way of demonstrating how science is part of everything we do. Whether it be homework, or involve our hobbies and especially the fun things we like to do.

In which case I'll be asking all of you to help me with some projects for this purpose please.

Best wishes

Jon

Hello,

I am Blonde_At_Heart, and I like science. I've only taken Biology and Chemistry, but they fascinate me for some reason. My favorite of the two has to be Biology (I prefer learning concepts over math). I stumbled upon this site looking for help doing one of my chemistry papers.

Something interesting about me: I received bubble wrap for Christmas, and thought that was amazing.

Welcome newcomers all!

Something interesting about me: I received bubble wrap for Christmas, and thought that was amazing.
Ooooh! The big kind or the small kind? You know those big bubble bags they put like 3 or 4 in a box to pack it? I want a whole roll of those!

Here, try this when your Christmas present runs out.

Ooooh! The big kind or the small kind? You know those big bubble bags they put like 3 or 4 in a box to pack it? I want a whole roll of those!

Here, try this when your Christmas present runs out.

I actually received two kinds of bubble wrap: one that was colored yellow (my favorite color) and then this toy thing here. So, unless the battery runs out... hehe.

But thanks for the link - I'll have to send that to the friends that gave me the bubble wrap. :)

Hi, I'm new to this website, and it came up in a brief internet search, and some of the information was very helpful for me.

Did AP Chem & AP Physics in HS, went into IT in college, and studied lots of Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, and a fair bit of Chemistry in college. Was hoping to become a consultant systems analyst, but then the DotCom bubble burst, jobs being outsourced to India left & right, and the industry tanked.

Three years into my major I switched to Landscape Architecture, and only my Physics & Calculus credits transferred! I became a super-senior graduating in 7 years! :eek:

I've got a great background in physics, but somewhat lacking in the Chemistry area... I'm hoping this will help me 'fill in the blanks' when I have questions, and will hope to help contribute to the Physics section as much as I can...