The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hi Everyone!

I stumbled across this place while googling for some wallpaper, and it looks pretty cool so decided to register.

I graduated with a degree in Chemistry (mostly Organic Synthesis, Drug Devlopment, etc) about 12 years ago, and haven't worked in Science since. A couple of years ago I could no longer ignore my draw toward the subject and registered to study part time for two more degrees. In a few years I will graduate with a degree in Mathematics and a degree in Physics, and hope to be in a position (hanging on to that lotto ticket!) to be able to chuck the job in, follow my passion, and convince some poor soul to accept me to do a PhD in Mathematical & Theoretical Physics.

Anyhoo, that's the intro done. I'm going to have a look around :cool:

Not that anyone reads these threads, but I'll have a go anywho.

I'm 15, I live in Arizona, and recently I've been having an increasingly dire thirst for knowledge, mostly physics and psychology. I suppose it's just curiosity.

Hello everyone!

My name is James. I am really interested in programming, and I'm in my first physics course now. I spend a lot of time with it, but don't really get anything. I get some of it, but still do really bad at it. :(

Well hope to get to know everyone more. :D

Greetings all,

I am nominally a middle aged primate of the species homo sapiens, and still trying to figure the rest out.

I like screwing around on the fringes and thinking of things in different ways. I got a degree in Physics and then got lost, because where I wanted to go didn't have any directions posted back then. So feeling mildly annoyed that those fields are just beginning to get respectable about now. I'm more of an intuitive type, my math is weak :(

I like to think of myself as innovative, and hope that some day I'll make a contribution to technology. 99% of my energy at present seems to go into the day to day trivialities of living and bootstrapping myself to a point where I can "get stuff done".

Occasionally my brain will catch fire for a couple of weeks and I can't think of a damn thing else until it goes out.

My forum name comes from the George McDonald Fraser/Thomas Hughes figure....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashman

Psychoanalyse that how you will :D

Flashman

Of course we read the threads, wouldn't be much point in coming to the forum if we didn't! Glad to see you could join us! I've actually been thinking about moving back to Pheonix, but alas, my technology keeps me in Oklahoma. Bah!

Greetings all,

Psychoanalyse that how you will :D

Flashman

You're a crazy person!

I think you'll fit in well>:D

I find that if you wrap a blanket around your thigh, kind of like a tourniquet, it will cut off the circulation and you can't feel it!

erm wait, that could be dis-safe. I didn't mean THAT kind of technology, but when last I lived in Phoenix, I didn't find very many tech kind of jobs!

Hello Science forum; Im the Punish-ed - kinda like the Punisher, except it tends to backfire. Im 26 (that may change, given time) and live in Edinburgh, Scotland. I defecated (was that a mistake?...dare you ask?) from Glasgow 6 years ago.

Lacking in a 'proper' education, I've decided just to 'know stuff', it began with football; but it became kinda more statistical than strictly sporting. After that, I tried to play computer games; but ended out liking all the historical ones (civ, Age of Empires) and ended out making me study history in my spare time instead of playing computer games. It got worse when I started working for a Ghost Tour company, and became more interested in the history of the grave yard I worked in and the people buried there than the poltergeist attacking the public. I got tired of calling it a poltergeist and instead studied the paranormal, and that just led to string and multiverse theory.

I made one final attempt to be a cool guy; joining a band - but we're called the martians, and the War of the Worlds just made me read good and proper Sci Fi; which - again - led me to actual Science.

Finally, defeated, I got a flatmate who actually DID study science, but he's REALLY annoying and has tiny ears; so an online commutiy sounds like something I might benefit from.

I hope to be as active as possible out in the real board, and hope to see you all out there; rather than here...but this seemed the logical (Damnit!) place to start posting.

I'd be delighted to discuss anything I'm capable of; the silly is just as useful as the sensible; and I hope to find both here in reasonable proportion.

Regards to all;

The Punish-ed

(edited due to my Keyboard not thinkning as fast as I type)

I made one final attempt to be a cool guy; joining a band - but we're called the martians, and the War of the Worlds just made me read good and proper Sci Fi; which - again - led me to actual Science.

Finally, defeated, I got a flatmate who actually DID study science, but he's REALLY annoying and has tiny ears; so an online commutiy sounds like something I might benefit from.

Hi, I'm the flatmate and yes, my ears are really quite small.

I'm not on here simply to copy my flatmate in a weird SWF way (the film, not the file extension), that got boring several years ago. However he did point this forum out to me and I thought it was worth a look....turns out I was right.

My background starts with a childhood combination of Clarke, Asimov and taking toys apart. Remember those toys with the wire you had to guide a hoop around without touching it? I dismantled one of those and used it to make a Santa-alarm when I was six, and I'm still quite proud of it. Would have worked too if my dad hadn't come blundering in at 2am.

I tinker...there's nothing that I can't look and and think "Hmmm....I can improve that". The I'll take it apart, find I've broken it and put it back together in a distinctly Heath-Robinson style until I've got something that works nearly as well as before. It's called customisation. That's why I'm typing this on a linux system that uses a network of three different machines to get all of the hardware to play together properly and requires regular doses of coal to keep the steam pressure up..

Salutations I am Kosmikcow and i tend to use gargantuan words and have moderatly good social skills

I'm 15, I live in Arizona, and recently I've been having an increasingly dire thirst for knowledge, mostly physics and psychology. I suppose it's just curiosity.

wow the exact same here.... hum? interesting!