The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

The concept of motion is my latest musing and delving into its inner workings is the widest imagining I have had. How is inertia and c the same?

Hi throng,

They are not. Inertia is the resistance an object has to a change in its state of motion, whereas c is a label indicating the speed of light, which cannot be overcome (or even fully reached) by any object with mass. C is just what we call a specific speed, just like red is what we call a specific nanometer range in the electromagnetic spectrum. I'm sure your base of knowledge will both expand and become more solid as you continue to read and participate here.

Just FYI. ;)

Welcome to everyone who has joined.

Hihi all,

I am currently finishing up my undergraduate degrees in Biochemistry and Chemistry. Hopefully this time next year I'll be knee-deep in my PhD studies.

I accidentally came across this forum when I google-searched "Fungi" :P

What's up all.

Just a bit of background. I'm a sophomore in HS and am currently taking AP Chemistry. Next year I intend on taking AP Bio and AP Physics. I guess you could say that I love science. Anyway, just checking in. Seems be be a boatload of great information here.

edit- Dang I just realized my name is missing the "T" at the end...oh well

What's up all.

Just a bit of background. I'm a sophomore in HS and am currently taking AP Chemistry. Next year I intend on taking AP Bio and AP Physics. I guess you could say that I love science. Anyway, just checking in. Seems be be a boatload of great information here.

edit- Dang I just realized my name is missing the "T" at the end...oh well

Take some more math next year, you went over the 15-letter limit (which we somehow warned you about somewhere when you joined somewhat). You'll fit right in with yourdadonapogos and lolromeoandjuli.

Welcome. Have fun posting and thanks for your participation. We appreciate that you could be about a trillion other places but you chose here. Thanks.

I am looking for a way to get what i know to the elite minds, or to those who are looking for an answer. It is the answer to any possible question: time travel, physics, science, philosophy; Atlantis, religion, christianity, God.{snip} My fate is now out of my hands and in yours'.
Well well well, for a guy who knows the answer to everything, you put your fate in my hands pretty quickly. I don't usually touch someone's fate until the third or fourth post, so let's see what you got. Welcome to SFN.

Take some more math next year, you went over the 15-letter limit (which we somehow warned you about somewhere when you joined somewhat). You'll fit right in with yourdadonapogos and lolromeoandjuli.

Perhaps you could change it from 'HornedWildebeas' to 'HornyWildebeast' thus satisfying the 15 character requirement?

I'm Josy. I'm a third-year mathematics undergrad at the University of Glasgow in Scotland.

If my higher exam results came out different i would have been there studying chemistry, actually, i probably would have graduated by now.

anyway, i'm over at strathclyde. and we need more scots on here.

Anyone hre to chat to im a chemistry major
We prefer to discuss, actually. Unless you're connecting from a smart phone, "chat" in textspeak is too difficult to understand for our global membership. I hope you don't mind typing all the words to make yourself better understood. :cool:

Welcome everyone, have fun and enjoy the forum.

We prefer to discuss, actually. Unless you're connecting from a smart phone, "chat" in textspeak is too difficult to understand for our global membership. I hope you don't mind typing all the words to make yourself better understood. :cool:

Welcome everyone, have fun and enjoy the forum.

of course people are very welcome to join our chat room to chat to us ;)

I'm here mostly for ideas as I (attempt to) write science fiction and fantasy as a hobby now. My readership consists mostly of thirty-odd (and a few really weird) grand-kids, great grand-kids etc.

i think this is a great idea for a Sticky, but at the current rate, the info it has is garbage. sorry guys, but i don't sugar coat.

how about you either fix this thread or delete this and make a new one except that the new one should have info like:

Name - First name would suffice

Degree/Education -

Area of science (studied and most likely to help)

Area of science in interest in addition to the already obtained/working-on degree (and most likely to help)

because the majority of the members do not fill out their Educational or Interest(science) fields in their profile and it angryfies me. :mad::mad::mad:

i think that can help restore some of the chaos this forums currently sport, but then again, that's just mine opinion and since i'm not an officer here, it may be irrelevant. but still, it's a thought, no?

Admiral, sir, why would it be better if the thread were changed to reiterate the registration questions?

Just for you:

Name - First name would suffice

Okay, I'm Bob

Degree/Education -

AA in computer science because that was what the Army wanted me to take. Heavy focus on systems analysis and programming. Worked with COBOL, SAAL, JOVIAL, FORTRAN and other obsolete languages.

BS in Business because Alaska Methodist University was supposed to be closing down and I could get through that before they did so (They didn't close business after all. They sold the whole shooting match to someone who changed the name and continued on the same site.) Focus on statistics.

Within one course of a masters in gifted education before leaving the state to take a job elsewhere.

Within one course of another masters in special education in a college five hours from my place of employment when the state grant was shut off, and I had a choice of a degree or a job.

Area of science (studied and most likely to help)

Both almost-masters ran heavy to very specialized psychology. More classes in psychology than most psychologists, but narrowly focused on special ed and gifted children.

Area of science in interest in addition to the already obtained/working-on degree (and most likely to help)

Interest; almost anything. Knowledge; mostly psychology of handicapped kids, and of gifted or highly gifted adolescents. My specialty was the areas where the two overlap.

bleh, after my last gripe in this thread, i'm yet to follow my own request. how ironic.

anywhoo,

name's James

majoring in biological anthropology and interested in paleontology but the closest school specializing in that is a few hours away so that'll have to wait for a while.

major interests in: anthropology, genetics, biology, neurosciences, paleontology

Okay, I'm interested in all branches of anthropology and archeology. I have one course in archeology, and three in anthropology.

I'm interested in neurology because of personal treatment I'm currently receiving at VA for service connected problems.

I'm interested in genetics because a large percentage of my clan are in, or have been in gifted programs in schools scattered widely across the nation probably from traits inherited from their grandmother. (But, hey, I picked her, so I deserve some credit!)

Anyway, we do have some overlap in interests.

Edited by Cyborg
multiple post merged

Hey, my name is Tremayne, I'm 16 and a half and I've just recently taken a lot of interest in chemistry and pyrotechnics :D.

Living in Australia makes it very difficult to obtain chemicals that you would see for sale every day in America or other countries.

Anyway my first real pyrotechnic chemical is Potassium nitrate and I've been combining it with icing (powdered) sugar to make some little rockets and it is indeed great fun.

I hope to get to know some of you and learn what i wasn't listening to in science at school.:P

-Trezza