The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello everyone,

I'm Héctor, I'm 16 years old and I from Spain. Eh... my english is not very good. However, I write science-fiction books in spanish. I love science and I know a lot of things about astronomy, physic, maths... But I believe that I must learn english if I want to travel to EEUU in a few years. My hope in this forum is learn a lot about science and get a better english. So if you see any mistakes in my messages, please tell me;)

TheEND of PI.

Hello everybody,

This is my first post here, and my first day,, my name is Pamela , Im 24 years old , u wanna know more, u ask me. I just wanna ask you, is this forum fun???

so warrrup?

Cheers

everyone.

Hey there

I'm Lisa. I'm degreed in Geology and Civil Engineering. I like to discuss all kinds of science related topics including GRB, Mars and other astronomy related ideas/theories, anything to do with earth science, and pretty much anything that fun or amusing. I do like to joke a bit, and don't like to play the name calling game. I've been hanging in the wings and reading a few threads before deciding to introduce myself. I mostly wanted to make sure that this was a reasonably polite forum, and I've been fairly pleased, so far.

Come on, not all of you.[/QUPTE]

Well most people are too good for Karl...

It was meant as sarcasm because your signature is getting pretty Pimp City. I promise to get on IRC more often and scream at you about it. ;)

I know, and I'd welcome it, I'll make it bigger if it makes you join more ;)

And since increase it's size we've got a couple more regulars...

Hey, what's up? You can see from my sig anyway, but my name's Tim, I'm an Emergency Medical Technician working in Sacramento and I'm an active SCUBA diver. I love science, have since I was little, especially marine biology thanks to having the privilege of going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium frequently when I was younger (no I didn't live there, parents just went there a lot on vacation). I'm transferring from a California community college to UC Davis for the Fall quarter of 2008, although I'll probably start in the summer. My favorite science is biology, with chemistry being a close runner-up, although I'm not too much of a fan of math. I recognize that it's useful, and calculus is just simply powerful stuff, but I could take it or leave it.

Hello, everyone,

I'm LegalEagle, and I really am a lawyer from Canada. I didn't like physics in my high school days, though I loved math, and my first degree, economics, had a lot of math in it. I'm here now because I will be due for a sabbatical in a few years, and I'm thinking of going back to do a PhD in math and/or biotechnology. I've always been interested in biology and biotechnology, and so I'm here to see if going back to school is what I really want to do.

In any case, I've always loved reading popular science articles - Technology Review and Popular Mechanics are my favorites.

I'm Lisa. I'm 16 from New Zealand. I just came here because I want to be an evil genius.

kidding.

Um, i just really like science, but I find it difficult to understand. I thought that perhaps coming on here every once in a while will help me in gaining a better understanding so I will do good at school >.<

Hi all. I'm Tash, 28 & live on the Mid North Coast, NSW, Australia. I have a degree in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology....but don't work at the mo! Been back at parent's for the last 4 years!! I decided to study Biochem etc because I've had Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus for 21 years. I was also diagnosed with a pituitary tumour 2 years ago. I wanted to understand what was going on inside and to help others understand. The one thing that infuriates me is the general use of the term Diabetes! We all know that Type 2 is exponentially on the rise....but if you see things in the media about type 2, they only say "Diabetes"!!! They should be called different names! Type 1 or IDDM is an autoimmune disease and occurs mostly in children. It affects the beta cells of the pancreas resulting in no production of insulin! Type 2 occurs in older people...the general is over 40 & over weight (although fat kids are now being diagnosed). Here the body's cell's have insulin receptors on their surface. When these are deffective insulin is not utilised leading to increased BSL's. In alot of cases there's even an increase in insulin! This type is due ALOT to environment AND CAN BE PREVENTED!!! .

Anyhoo...that's my rant for the week! I love science and love it when I can make someone else excited about something scientific!

SCIENCE ROCKS!...oh yeah, I love music! Fav bands are Queens of the Stone Age, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Kyuss....and Love reading especially classical lit...fav authors are Franz Kafka, Joseph Conrad, Agatha Christie, Brett Easton Ellis & Dickens!

I think that's enough blubbering on......Hope to meet some interesting people

I can completely understand your frustration there, ntash. Welcome to SFN. I hope you are able to share what you've learned during your studies with others so as to increase the collective knowledge base we all share. Enjoy. :)

Howdy all, I've not had a decent flick through the forum yet, but I thought it prudent to at least introduce myself first, manners can be terribly annoying at times.

I'm a second year undergraduate in Medical Genetics in the UK, and I must say its all rather interesting this science malarkey. Current interests on the science side of things are gene expression, epigenetic modifications in cancer (got to love those methylated CpG's), cell signalling pathways and I've just started to look into the adaptive immune system a little.

Biology has fascinated for many a year, hence I'm now reading for a degree in the bloody thing! Lots of mysteries still to unsolve but without all that tedious mathematics and such (maths isn't exactly a strong point for me).

Well thats my little introductory ramble, so howdy all and I look forward to supplementing my studies with some expert insights from other members.

Mike

Hello. I'm Reverend Blair...an internet-ordained atheist reverend, just so I don't confuse anybody.

I'm not a scientist, but have an interest in science, especially as it pertains, or should pertain, to politics and public policy. Anyway, I do try to understand science and recognize my lack of education, so don't feel bad about correcting me if I'm wrong about some theory or something.

I am a writer by trade, a freelancer who cobbles words together in exchange for cheques. It's a dicey way to make a living, but I've discovered that writing how-to books and articles with other people's names on them keeps me in beer and cigarettes and anything I sell with my own name on it is gravy.

Anyway, somebody from the Dawkins site mentioned this place, and it sounded interesting, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Hey guys, I'm Des, I'm from Sydney, Australia. studying 2nd year medical science majoring in chemistry at the moment. Chemistry and maths are my interests.

Found this site while looking up m-nitroaniline, bludged for a bit surfing this site, and found it has a lot of good stuff here.

Will need help here and there with organic and biochem, but also hoping to expand my knowledge as well as to contribute with what i know to the community here at SFN.

I grew up in a Christian family, so I had been taught creationism. But over the years, I had "evolved" so to speak. I have a very keen interest in the natural world. I used to believe in the young earth, and then I believed in old earth, but not evolution. Then I started believing in evolution (of all life except for man) after majoring in Zoology in college. Now I believe in the evolution of man. I'm still Christian, and sometimes it's difficult to relate to others of the faith about this issue. I'm reading books about how to reconcile acceptance of evolution with the Christian faith. They're quite interesting resources.

Hi,

I'm a social worker from India, and I wish to throw some "Eastern light" on some basic concepts which are taken for granted in the industrialised modern West. But, since these concepts are now becoming universal through globalisation, its now important to question some of these, and have a look at them through a different angle.

I am here as a friend, and I don't mean to hurt or offend anyone, so guys, please don't take anything personally. Some of the issues that I take up may stir up some people but in the end discussions and new points of views always help change things for the better.

I'd be making references to Western vs non-Western societies in my threads, but these are not supposed to mean in a racial manner, but only in a cultural sense.

regards.

Hi, I'm Scarlett, and I have a problem. I'm 55, and have suddenly become very addicted to the smell of chemicals. I love the smell of gasoline, and the strong smell of Goof Off. I could sit and smell it for hours a day, and am probably frying my brain. I try no to inhale it into my lungs, and when it makes me high, I don't like the feeling. I truly just like the smell. Any ideas out there to help me? Is my body missing some kind of nutrient that makes me crave this? I do it at work, I come home and do it in my room for yours while watching TV. If I travel in the car, I have a can to sniff the whole trip. Help