The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello,

I believe I can call myself new in here, since I don't post much.

I'm originally from northern Israel (close to the Lebanese border), and I have served in the southern Lebanese army in '94-'95.

I hate this crappy 30-post rule for the political section.

Glad to be hear; almost close to being able to access the political section heh.

Guest AgathaAgs

Hello! I'm new here as well!

Glad to find a community of such interesting people. I wish I had known about boards like this in high school. Back then, my main friend was an imaginary creature called a quizquiquit. Don't ask. :)

Nice to meet everyone!

Hi I'm Terry and I'm new here.

I want to post an idea, but I need to use mono-spaced type for some ascii diagrams. I can't see a "how to" link, so I'll experiment here and see what works...

....:....|....:....|....:....|

....:....|....:....|....:....|

I hope one of these works...

Yipee, both worked! Now to try...

• item 1
  • item 2
  • item 3

Regards, Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to my fellow studious members, I'm a newcomer. I've been reading to some of your posts and I have to admit I was astonished to find that most of you here are so damn smart and intellectual.. :eek:

I hate to admit, but I frankly envy your intelligence, I wish I was as smart as some of you smart members here..

However, I have no time to introduce myself, I'll just give some brief information, I'm 17 and a high school student of the 11th grade and I'm half russian and half UK, but mainly I'm from UK cuz I have a UK passport and I'm not very fluent in russian, anyhow, I've never been interested in education before as I am now honestly.. Frankly speaking I've been getting low marks in school but passing marks fortunately except they were the minimum passing marks.. But now I'm willing to get higher grades, so I'm now more confident and determined to widen and expand my knowledge and hopefully become a smarter person.

anyway, I know I've posted this at the general mathematics thread but the reason of posting it here is that I was going to request for links of the best web sites with good math tutorials and lessons.

so if anyone happen to know any good links for math lessons post them here if you please.

thanks,

So GCSE maths then? My high school teachers always seemed to like telling us to use MathsNet, although really what helps the most in terms of revision really is doing past exam papers.

Everyone loves the CGP series of revision guides, you don't have to use them for revision either, they are perfectly good for learning from. Make sure you get the workbooks (or other books with questions in) as well though; very important piece of advice that the head of maths at my old school gave: "to get better at maths you have to do maths, you can't get fit by watching other people exercise"

But now I'm willing to get higher grades, so I'm now more confident and determined to widen and expand my knowledge and hopefully become a smarter person.
Unpublished studies (aka "completely made up") show that your IQ goes up a few points when you join SFN so you are already a bit smarter. Welcome to the community. :cool:

the tree is the perfect UK maths person for you. He'll help you out as long as you continue to write so well (he's mad for proper spelling). :D

Thanks 'the tree' (Very odd nickname, yet catchy),

I've glanced through the first link you've posted which is MathsNet, but the exercises cannot be displayed it requires some sort of plugin, according to the 'plugin finder service' unfortunately no such suitable plugin can be found..

and the other link you've posted, thanks but I'm not going to waste my money on books since there are free lessons available on the internet.. so I'm willing to take math lessons online.

Do you know any web sites that provides and offers free GCSE math lessons?

according to the 'plugin finder service' unfortunately no such suitable plugin can be found.
Really? I can't imagine it needing more than Java, Flash and PDF handling. What browser are you using?
and the other link you've posted, thanks but I'm not going to waste my money on books since there are free lessons available on the internet.

Books aren't necessarily a waste of money, it's been shown that people retain information better from printed material than from a screen. You can always sell them on when you're done with them as well although I wouldn't expect that much return from old GCP books to be honest.

Especially as exam season looms (it seems to start looming from straight after Christmas nowadays) there will be deals on revision guides at major bookshops. Although if there is a good second hand bookshop near you then check that out first.

Remember that any money spent on (good) education is an investment.

Do you know any web sites that provides and offers free GCSE math lessons?
Firstly, I apologise for not realising how much MathsNet charges for now. I remembered nearly all of the useful content being free, evidently times have changed.

Bitesize is obviously a good place for basics and it should have plenty of exercises.

Maths Revision.net is comprehensive and about as good a point of reference as any.

Unfortunately Wikibooks haven't got a GCSE Maths project yet.

In terms of lessons, per se I don't think that's such a good idea. It's up to you to decide how to structure your time out of school hours and what order you want to study in. You might want to spend 40 minutes on past papers for every 20 minutes resting and some website telling you otherwise isn't helpful at all.

I'll emphasise again that past papers really are the best approach to maths exams.

Also, if you have any specific questions at all, scienceforums.net (you're already here, you don't need to click that) is here to help.

Guest chancesports

Hi, I'm interested in the Quantum PHysics of Black Holes. Pleased to meet you all.

Also interested in biological elements that might keep people more youthful...

Really? I can't imagine it needing more than Java, Flash and PDF handling. What browser are you using?

Books aren't necessarily a waste of money, it's been shown that people retain information better from printed material than from a screen. You can always sell them on when you're done with them as well although I wouldn't expect that much return from old GCP books to be honest.

Especially as exam season looms (it seems to start looming from straight after Christmas nowadays) there will be deals on revision guides at major bookshops. Although if there is a good second hand bookshop near you then check that out first.

Remember that any money spent on (good) education is an investment.

Firstly, I apologise for not realising how much MathsNet charges for now. I remembered nearly all of the useful content being free, evidently times have changed.

Bitesize is obviously a good place for basics and it should have plenty of exercises.

Maths Revision.net is comprehensive and about as good a point of reference as any.

Unfortunately Wikibooks haven't got a GCSE Maths project yet.

In terms of lessons, per se I don't think that's such a good idea. It's up to you to decide how to structure your time out of school hours and what order you want to study in. You might want to spend 40 minutes on past papers for every 20 minutes resting and some website telling you otherwise isn't helpful at all.

I'll emphasise again that past papers really are the best approach to maths exams.

Also, if you have any specific questions at all, scienceforums.net (you're already here, you don't need to click that) is here to help.

Hey The tree, Excuse my absence from this forum, I've been busy lately.

Any way, thanks for the links :)

EDIT:

I'm using Netscape.

Guest map-backpack

Hi I'm Jose, I love math and science and it's really hard find a forum about this!!! Good work guys, hope to find new friends!!!

Guest RichardBlank

I wanted to introduce myself to this community.

Living in Central America has awarded me countless nights of clear skies and bright stars. I just recently bought my first telescope. (It is good for more than a close up of the beautiful girls walking down the beach!)

Franklin Chang has brought a lot of interest. From building a museum to promoting space, he is a true national hero.

I look forward to sharing ideas with other forum members.

Richard

I am very glad to join this online community.

Im obviously very passionate about science. ever since I was starting highschool I wanted to become an astro-physicist.

Im currently still studying the sciences in college, my interests are still in astro-physics but more towards cosmology now.

I was greatly influenced by Richard Feynman, Albert Einstein, Fritz Zwicky, Stephen Hawking.

I really enjoy reading "hard" science fiction. I've read a few books that were recommended on this forum and they were great books.

I am looking forward to getting enough posts to gain access to the political forum :)