The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello. I've actually been posting for a while now, but I sorta missed the fact that there's an "introduce yourself" thread. Oops! ^^;

I am addicted to cheese puffs and I enjoy small cats that dress up like food. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyan_Nyan_Nyanko - based on my informal research, if you are female you will find this very cute, if you are male you will find it utterly ridiculous. Let's see if my results are supported!)

To illustrate my dorkiness, I chose my avatar because it is of a species of butterfly whose genus name begins with the same letter as my first name, and whose species name begins with the same letter as my last name. And yes, I did have too much time on my hands.

What's up, people?

24, male, geoscience undergrad. Did a search on science forums, and this site popped up! Lookin forward to digging in to see what's going on. Shows great promise so far... but no earth science sub-forums? *gasp* Maybe if I check again...

;)

Good to be here.

... but no earth science sub-forums?

1) Hi!

2) The forum structure to some extent reflects the topics that are discussed. If you manage to interest people in geo-science topics or get some discussions about it running otherways, then that would be great (and also most likely result in an appropriate forum being created).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I am new here.

As you might figure from my name, I am very pro-drugs. But I am also very interested in the way that different things and actions affect your brain.

Glad to be here.

I thought I would pop in and see what this forum is like. I am Blue Eve. I have been accepted into a molecular, cellular, and developmental biology program at a University, which I will attend next year. I was wondering if anyone here is in similar programs.

Hi Elessarina,

This is kind of the point of the Introduce Yourself thread, but whatever. (moderator we needs this threads merging plz)

It's be nice if you could tell us a little more, like what level of science you've studied. Welcome to SFN, you'll have plenty of fun here.

I know there is an "Hello" thread but this is my first post so thought it polite to introduce myself.

I'm a fan of all science but I especially love physics and evolutionary biology.

I have actually NEVER studied sciences or only at high school, my interest in them has developed gradually over about 7 years or so. I have considered the possibility of studying physcis but am not sure how I would manage with it.

I hope my not being a scientist will not be held against me!!

Welcome to SFN, Elessarina. Many of our members study science right here, from the comfort of their own homes. We can't give you a degree but we don't charge anything either.

Acquaint yourself well with the Search function and you can look up past discussions about most areas of science. If you find a topic that hasn't been discussed (or at least not recently) feel free to start a thread about it. Enjoy!

Hello, I am in Manchester!

not being a scientist will not be held against you.

I'm telling your fiance that you're talking to local girls about what will be held against them! :eek:

Watch yourself, marriage-boy! ;)

Oh hi ajb, so what do you do?

I am a PhD student at the University of Manchester, I study mathematical physics, in particular the geometry of field theory. Loads more info on my website if your interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed there's an introduce yourself thread :doh: So here goes...

My real name is Jessica. I'm married to a fellow biology geek (Restoration Ecologist) and we have a ten-month old chibi geek named Midori. I was majoring in biology at Indiana University but we had to move out of the area for my husband's job. I'll be attending Purdue next fall to finish up my biology degree and I really have no idea where I'm going from there.

I've been involved in research projects dealing with such diverse subjects as Hydra population genetics, South American Cotton tetraploid phylogenies (did you know that one genome comes from South America and one comes from Africa!?!?!), Caribbean Drosophila evolution and development and the isolation of microsatellite loci from Acacia species.

I take my handle from my time as a supplemental instructor for intro biology. The students used to call me that biology girl and the name kind of stuck :)

I'll be taking the biology GRE as a review this fall; it looks like it will be a great test and I'm looking forward to it :D

Thank you for having me,

Hi, i found this forum while browsing earlier and decided to sign up. I'm only 15 and i am currently starting my higher course at high school! I've always been interested in science and i figured if i wanted to learn new thing the best way would to be hearing it from other people.

Hi all, found SFN from doing google research, it provided me with answers, so I joined. Looks like their are many great minds here, hope I can contribute now & then.

About me: I'm a recent Commerce & IT undergraduate, and have been hired at "my" university to assist in patent & new technology license transfers. I'm interested in many areas of science, probably from the early days of mixing random things in the basement with mom's old blender :P Atomic history is one of my fav subjects, and I've collected many artifacts (video & paper records) from that period of U.S./British history. Also, my grandfather was Prof. Eric Burhop, which recently sparked my interest in researching his contributions to atomic development... also, before the a-bombs were used in Japan, he had left the Manhattan project in protest, and pursued early activism against nuclear warfare proliferation.

Other interests include business and entrepreneurship development, especially where online technologies are concerned. I’m currently managing a small business, providing in-home support, building custom PC’s and facilitating online conferencing for small-medium sized businesses.

Apart from my work, I suppose I have a ‘normal’ life, when I’m not thinking about business, which is basically 23 hrs of everyday. I’m currently living in Toronto with 2 roomies, and hoping to spend some time in the U.K. this coming fall (time permitting). I tend to believe that film/TV reflects everyday life, and I’ve become too critical of most common shows… currently my favourite TV series are: Weeds, Dexter, Eureka, The Riches, Dragon’s Den, Top Gear.

Ok, I'm stopping here. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I am Brooke, Im not a scientist or anything.

Everyone sounds so professional and I'm still in high school lol. just about to start my final year thankfully.

This site is great. I have a huge passion for science and it also helps me with my school work :)

Hey I am Brooke, Im not a scientist or anything.

Everyone sounds so professional and I'm still in high school lol. just about to start my final year thankfully.

This site is great. I have a huge passion for science and it also helps me with my school work :)

Hello and welcome ;)

And hi to anyone I've missed...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CrashorFlow

Whoa. There's way more cats on here than I thought there'd be. Well, Here's another. I'm Rich, and I dig this shit. Science I mean. Chill way to pass the time.

hi

im 22 and have a bachelor of science majoring in molecular biotechnology.

i'm currently in the last few months of my honors. im looking into the role of leptin in the development of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). so far it has been the most intense 8 months of my life. it has taken me this long just to develop a new leptin and soluble leptin receptor ELISAs.

i have been looking for a site like this for a while. its nice to have people to bounce ideas off and read about what people in the same field are involved in.

erynna :)

Hello all,

Aldous Huxley best sums up my current mindset –

"The man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less sure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend."

Basically, things would be pretty average without a series of unknowns that are there to, attempt to, demystify. And there are heaps of unknowns! :eek: Yippy!:D