The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hello everyone. These forums are great. It's taken a while to post here but you know what it's like when you get a new toy; you just want to play with it, not fill in the registration card. Anyway, here's mine duly completed.

I live in Chorley, Lancashire in England. Got two sons and a daughter. Done all sorts of things since leaving school but I suppose software has been my main thing for the past 30 years.

Guest kitty

hiya im kitty and im married to a mad scientist, so sooner or later i knew i`d end up on here lol.

oh and just incase your wondering who the mad scientist is, it`s YT2095.

hiya im kitty and im married to a mad scientist, so sooner or later i knew i`d end up on here lol.

Welcome, you wonderful woman! We've been waiting to hear from the saner side of your household!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I've been here a while now but I thought I should introduce myself and give you the low down

I am a student studying Physics, my particular interests are Astrophysics, particle physics and most other areas, I am also Studying Chemistry.

My Hobie's include:

Sailing

Fencing

Rugby

Skiing (when theres snow....obviously)

and so much more...

anyway, love the Forums and thanks for letting weirdos like me contribute:D :D :D

Just thought Id give a shout out to some random members at SFN:

Wow the welcome screen is telling me I haven't been here in over a month... do I get an award for that??:D Anyway I only stop by here every once in a while since my hometown is SDC, but anyways I like what your doing with the contests...really instills an air of community.

Anyway I doubt if anyone knows who the hell I am since I only posted once here... But hey I came back.. maybe ill stay a little longer this time...;)

GoodLuck too all of you.

Hello to the fellow members of SFN, I'm fairly new here (but definitely not to forum & been using BBS since the early 90s) so I figure I should introduce myself.

I'm 27, graduated with a B.Sc in Physics in 04. My interests are (rather obviously) scientific and mathematical in nature. Specifically I'm fascinated by in areas of A.I. (Artificial Intelligence), A.F. (Artificial Life) and A.C. (Artificial Consciousness). In mathematics, I loved Calculus/Analysis (e.g. vector calculus and complex analysis) and Abstract Algebra (e.g. Linear Algebra, Field Theory, Group Theory, and a bit of Galois Theory). After my graduation, I took a few years to "find myself", so to speak, and at the end of that process I came to a conclusion in which I was able to find a surprising yet satisfying answer to the meaning of life and my own self-identity.

Professionally, I am currently studying in areas in the field of computer networking.

I have stumbled across this page quite by accident and am intrigued by the people that might be lurking here. I love brainiacs. Also, I hope to open my mind further in all subjects being discussed here, as a casual observer for the most part.

Guess I'm doing this somewhat due to reading the member's claim that he/she is a "grumpy bastard".

I am even worse; I'm an old fart. And I'm new here, and also fairly new to "netiquette", so if people will bear with me as they perceive of my ignorance (called computer illiteracy), I will try to enhance some of the threads found here with what I consider to be a fairly extensive knowledge of Engineering experience, with splaying side-interests in Chemistry, Physics, Politics, and maybe a little Math.

So, will anyone please explain why some things here are referred to as "sticky"?

Finally, I will from time to time solicit input regarding information or personal thoughts on a variety of things which I either have no answers for, or things which have troubled me for some time, and remain shrouded in mystery.

Imp

PS: Pray tell, why does the information at the bottom of my posts include a little green square proclaiming Imp a "decent person"? Other "newbies" don't seem to have it. Therefore, are they "indecent"?

Kitty, as we say here in US, you have "sold the farm" by divulging the information above! Imp

hey,

im jen..

aside from having a mild addiction to tuna, i also like science.

:D

Jen, both will do you good! Mine, ah, so many and varied, no one would care to hear.

Do you know why some posters have their location shown, and others do not?

Thank you.........Imp

Hi I'm elsie. I'm 18 and from London (England) I'll be starting university this year, and will be studying Mech Eng. I'm basically here so that you can help me with my homework... ;)

Elsie, now would that be Mechanical Engineering? Good for you! Please be sure to not forget to seek help if needed in Engineering, ................

Please do not hesitate to ask me if I can help with technical stuff, as I am degreed in Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. (I am really not as smart as those fancy titles suggest)

Imp (USA)

Hello new people! Don't forget we have a lively and happen IRC channel (SFN Chatroom in the menu above), there's about 10 regulars so feel free to come along and chat but we take some time to reply sometimes so BE PATIENT! ;)

Guess I'm doing this somewhat due to reading the member's claim that he/she is a "grumpy bastard".

I am even worse; I'm an old fart. And I'm new here, and also fairly new to "netiquette", so if people will bear with me as they perceive of my ignorance (called computer illiteracy), I will try to enhance some of the threads found here with what I consider to be a fairly extensive knowledge of Engineering experience, with splaying side-interests in Chemistry, Physics, Politics, and maybe a little Math.

So, will anyone please explain why some things here are referred to as "sticky"?

Finally, I will from time to time solicit input regarding information or personal thoughts on a variety of things which I either have no answers for, or things which have troubled me for some time, and remain shrouded in mystery.

Imp

PS: Pray tell, why does the information at the bottom of my posts include a little green square proclaiming Imp a "decent person"? Other "newbies" don't seem to have it. Therefore, are they "indecent"?

Sticky: A thread that stays at the top of a forum, no matter how long ago the most recent post was in it (the rest are ordered by the time that the last post was made)

The little green box: People can only see their own, they're related to your reputation points, mine says "Klaynos is on a distinguished road"

Just thought I would re introduce myself to this forum as i have not been able to gain access for a few months

I look forward to some juicy discussions

:)

Abound at http://www.berwyntalk.com

Those folks are awesome! Try it! imp

Hello new people! Don't forget we have a lively and happen IRC channel (SFN Chatroom in the menu above), there's about 10 regulars so feel free to come along and chat but we take some time to reply sometimes so BE PATIENT! ;)

Sticky: A thread that stays at the top of a forum, no matter how long ago the most recent post was in it (the rest are ordered by the time that the last post was made)#### Why does it stay at the top? Preferential treatment?

The little green box: People can only see their own, they're related to your reputation points, mine says "Klaynos is on a distinguished road"

##### How can an administrator realistically rate someone's demeanor? And what good is reputation evaluation iof only the recipient can see it?

And, Thank you for helping me!! Best.........imp

Hello members, my name is Cam and I am in the process of completing my 2nd degree in Mechanical Engineering. I am having so much trouble understanding the concepts. Initially, I graduated with a degree in Sociology. A whole new world is opening up to me. Hence, I look forward to the support of the members on Scienceforum.

Thx:-)

Killer, those concepts can become a breeze given good instructors, something I longed for while in school. Feel free to seek my help, if you so choose; I cannot guarantee results, but I enjoy helping out- did so for the local high school 2002-2003 by teaching Math there; the previous teacher left suddenly, and the District was in a bind. An eye-opening experience for me, as I'm an Engineer, not a teacher! imp

i'm taking a BS in Biology, but i'm getting bored...

i'm a Christian but I don't go to church...

anyway, welcome:)

you must be warm there, near the equator! imp

This is my very first post here, and this is kind of experimental, I really don't know what to expect at all.

I am interested in a few different things, often from a the philosophical angle. I've got some personal big long term projects, and many minor transient projects which expect for providing fun, serves as excellent model projects for some of my long term projects. Find the theory of everything, isn't that what we all strive for? Meanwhile there is alot of fun things.

So if everything is so damn fuzzy, and nothing is real, how can things still be so apparently real? I think I will never find the answer. But I think I may find the rule that will tell me what is the most clever "next step" in my quest. That's really the best I can accopmlish. I don't know where I'm going, but I always know where I will place my next footstep.

I want to understand the logic, philosophy and science of that very process. I admit it is still a kind of reductionist approach, only that I think this time the focus is not on the absolute, but on the exploration of the unknown as beeing fundamental concept.

/Fredrik

Fredrik, here in the US we would say you are biting off too much to chew at one time. I once corresponded with a young man in Sweden, his name was Cato, and he was interested in the shooting sports; that was how I came to contact him, through a firearms magazine (book, not ammunition container).

He stopped writing, I think, because he was offended my my casual criticism of some things he said. I hope you are not the same way. imp

hi everyone, bumped into this site when searching for the colour of tetrachloromethane when it's added to water... still no luck ><, but I look forward to browsing through the threads :)

P.S: what's a Lepton btw?

Hi! Tetrachloromethane would be a fairly uncommon type of chlorinated hydrocarbon in the family of what we loosely call "Freons", the destroyers of the ozone layer. I can say with certainty that water contained in the device with most freons used commercially greatly detracts from their effectiveness. Color? Probably colorless.

The commoner methane based types are chlorodifluoromethane and dichlorodifluoromethane. This stuff is generally pretty harmless, non-toxic, non-combustible, heavier than air, WHAT? How does it get up to the ozone layer, then? imp

I'm a new member here and thought it only proper to introduce myself. My forum name is solo and for good reason. It's the way I've lived my life so far and most likely the way it will end. At any rate, I hope to be an asset to these forums always keeping in mind the attitude of a peace maker. I am greatful to be able to share in both your thoughts and offer a few of my own..........solo

Remaining "solo" keeps one out of trouble! Wish I had remained thus. imp

##### How can an administrator realistically rate someone's demeanor? And what good is reputation evaluation iof only the recipient can see it?

And, Thank you for helping me!! Best.........imp

It doesn't work like that. See

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26532

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26524

Also for quick forum questions see:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8699

Thank you kindly! Most helpful for the computer illiterate! Now, if only this message were more easily sent to you via Personal Message, I would KNOW you received it, and not waste space in the thread itself. My other forum attended has an icon on every post to allow PM's. Thanks again! imp

im bored
Can't help you with that. I've never been bored for a single second of my life.

Welcome to SFN everyone. You'll find answers here to virtually every question (except why you may be boring yourself ;) ).

Guest TechnoPanda

Heyy, I'm New To This Forum And Pretty New To This Science Stuff, ButI Hope Everyone Here Can Teach Me About It. :embarass::cool: