The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I might introduce myself. I have been somewhat of a regular browser of the science forums but never made an account until now. I just need to find where I can change my profile pic. I'll figure it out. I'm 25 still thinking I'm 21. I'm Irish. I am in Digital Marketing but I love to delve into science (moreso cosmology) and philosophy in my spare time. I like my cup of tea in the morning... and lunch and evening. Barry's Tea!!!!

EDIT: Found it. Changed my pic.

Edited by JamesT

On 4/28/2018 at 2:33 AM, JamesT said:

Found it. Changed my pic.

I will resist the instinctive urge to downvote your posts everytime i see that pic: although under Bourinho that hate is turning into sympathy. But welcome anyway.

2 hours ago, Prometheus said:

I will resist the instinctive urge to downvote your posts everytime i see that pic: although under Bourinho that hate is turning into sympathy. But welcome anyway.

I can't say you are wrong. Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello I am a part time college student about to finish my associates of science degree and start my first job in the chemistry field as a lab tech and just doing some review of it currently. I joined this for some help along the way and maybe to help me finish my chemical engineering degree if I make it that far!! Anyway, glad I found this place and hope I can contribute some stuff to the community as well! Thanks!

What's up everyone. First time user, but long time spectator on these forums. If you couldn't tell by my name, I'm a chemistry nerd at heart. Interested in almost all fields of science from  all fields of chemistry, physics, and astronomy. Almost done with my A.S. in Chemistry. Finishing up with linear and DE's so may have questions about some of that math. I like to do all sorts of organic and inorganic experiments at home and all ways have technical questions that seem answerable here. Hope to get started soon

Good afternoon,

Name is Janielle, 24 year old aspiring scientist seeking communication with those on such journey.

I have a First Class Honours Degree in Pharmacology and I am looking to pursue further graduate studies.

Link me please 

On 1/25/2017 at 9:13 AM, Nature Geek said:

Hi all, just joined.

Professionally, I am a PhD Chemist working in industry. Most of my work has been in the materials science end of inorganic chemistry - crystal growth, ceramics, things like that.

I've been interested in science and nature since childhood. Outside of chemistry I am most interested in things like ecology, environmental science, herpetology, things like that. I volunteer with a local park system - have for 30 years.

I also like photography and model railroading.

Could you describe the challenges you faced in obtaining a Ph.D. I was accepted into a uni but failed to get a supervisor so I want to know how to go about maximising my chances. I really what to start school next year.

On 2/9/2018 at 11:57 AM, curiose said:

Hello, I'm an independent researcher of many things and currently I'm studying quite a lot about quantum field theory and wave mechanics.  I'm also a programmer with > 20 years of experience, and a pretty solid basis in applied mathematics and statistical analysis.  I'm mostly interested in this forum because I am looking for some opinion, guidance, and just some good conversation with like-minded people.  I would like to share some of my projects with the community and perhaps make something truly useful and amazing for research into things like the unified field, sub-atomic particles, and dynamical systems.

I am looking forward to any discussion you might come up with. I want to get involved in the scientific community in whatever way I can.

32 minutes ago, Janielle said:

Good afternoon,

Name is Janielle, 24 year old aspiring scientist seeking communication with those on such journey.

I have a First Class Honours Degree in Pharmacology and I am looking to pursue further graduate studies.

Link me please 

Could you describe the challenges you faced in obtaining a Ph.D. I was accepted into a uni but failed to get a supervisor so I want to know how to go about maximising my chances. I really what to start school next year.

I am looking forward to any discussion you might come up with. I want to get involved in the scientific community in whatever way I can.

Good afternoon,

I stumbled on this amazing forum by accident while looking for answers to the usual questions........"why is it so etc". My name is Lorri and I am a student of human nature! Looking forward to learning from the amazing members of this forum.

20 hours ago, Janielle said:

Welcome Lorri! 

Student of human nature? What does that involve?

Hi Janielle,

Nothing more than the study of my fellow human beings and their myriad and endless idiosyncrasies in the hope that one day I may be able to understand my own role in this incredible situation we find ourselves in, where we are masters of our own destiny with no handbook!

• 3 weeks later...

I came here via a general internet search, and was delighted to see something a little more focused than Quorum, and presumably populated by those who understand both the power, but more importantly the limitations of science. Within my area of interest, but not expertise, I took a look at a current discussion, and see that there are many egos populating that topic. So, I'll stick with the Kavli Foundation for informed discussion in that field. But for a first post, I look forward to exploring the range of topics here on Scienceforums that pique my curiosity, and enthusiastically support this larger effort.

Hello Martin and welcome to SF.

I will be interested to view your first scientific thread or comments.

Meanwhile, the sandbox is for testing things such as presentation, Latex etc.

The Lounge is the best place to introduce yourself.

I suggest you private message (PM) a moderator and ask him (or her, yes we have lady scientists here too) to move it.

Be warned that you have 5 posts total on your first day (excluding the pm) - this is not personal, it was brought in to combat spammers and works quite well.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 8link48 said:

Hey, name's 8link. I'm a high schooler in the US and my main preferences in science are in physics and biology (Even though I know very little about each subject compared to u ppl). I hope to learn a lot from u.

Hey man, welcome to the forums. There's a bunch of interesting subjects and interesting people here, stick around :) 

3 hours ago, 8link48 said:

Hey, name's 8link. I'm a high schooler in the US and my main preferences in science are in physics and biology (Even though I know very little about each subject compared to u ppl). I hope to learn a lot from u.

Welcome to the forum.

• 1 month later...

oscar - son of ossian - grandson of finn mac cumhaill

middle-schooler - recently started reading the book of the dead and would like to get in to early mathematics and musicology, such as that of nichomachus

i suck at school because i spend the whole time reading books that aren't on the bogus curriculum which have nothing to do with genuine education and because I am mentally challenged

My scientific interest is mostly cosmology.   My boyhood nickname was Sputnik from my interest in astronomy; boyhood pal Fred still calls me that 60 years later.  I became a believer in the King James Bible 41 years ago, that book proving accurate in every word.  I am not a Flat Earther, and believe Science will prove itself as accurate as the KJV if given the chance.  I have four grandchildren, one of them 30 years old, but because of the world condition I hope not to become a great grandfather.  In the past 14 years I've done a few solo canoe expeditions varying from six weeks to three months.  I make it a general rule stay out of whitewater, but find a great relationship to physics when afloat.