The dog that ate the dinosaurs

Yes. Very interesting. The current issue of New Scientist [15 Jan 2005] adds two points:

The group to which these creatures belong (contrary to the title of the piece) was not canines, but triconodonts. These are apparently absent from the fossil record by the late Cretaceous, therefore these large mammals may well have died out before the dinosaurs.

There had been hints of large mammals before, based upon fragmentary remains (mainly teeth), but these are the first clear cut examples.

Anyone want to take a bet that within six months a couple more crawl out of the woodwork, or rather from a re-examination of current fossil collections?

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg18524824.400

I thought it was interesting that the two specimens were judged to be two separate species, implying that there were at least a handful of different niches for mammals bigger than the shrew-sized critters I'd always pictured during the Mesozoic. And you're right, Ophiolite, fossil animals are like cockroaches, lol for every one you find, there were 1000 more you don't. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that's so wrong it hurts my brain. But that's why I avoid creationist tripe anyway.

I'm even more amazed that someone with such an obvious learning disability could even become a senior. Must be a Business major.

Mokele

Having read both links,the only bias i found was from the evolutionist paper.Putting aside the authors motive, the first link only highlighted the finds relevence regarding the time line of mammals and dinosaurs.The second was clearly a ranting about creationism,which when discussing the finds and the implications of such.Failed to offer anything constructive regarding the fossils.As Mokle added his own bias ranting,i would be more inclined to find the fossils a great discovery.Anything that helps our understanding of the past scientifically benefits the future.

Having read both links,the only bias i found was from the evolutionist paper.

Whoa now buddy. The first article is definitely biased against evolution, as is shown clearly in this (incorrect) statement:

Notice how they are now trying to use this evidence, which challenges their current view of evolution and origins, and twist it to support the now defunct dino-to-bird theory.

It ate psittacosaurs? Big deal. Psittacosaurs are the ankle-biters of the dinosaur world. I thought it was going to be about bear sized mammals that ate hadrosaurs. Why are creationists all over this thing? Ooops I have to remember "because they are creationists."

That was a joke wasn't it? :eek:

A joke?

Creationists are characterised by an incapacity for reason, logic or the understanding of factual evidence. They display a complete lack of intellectual honesty or constistency, accept in regard of a rigourous and relentless twisting of every fact, event and opinion to fit with their deep seated delusions.

On an objective basis it can be seen that creationists suffer from is a deep seated paranoid delusional pyschosis. As such they should be removed from society and subjected to treatment until they may be cured.

This seems the only reasonable response.

I think of them as merely people who reject facts and observations that don't agree with their religious beliefs. Rejecting evolution is as stubborn as not accepting that I am typing this becasue it makes me uncomfortable or I just don't want to believe it.

I think of them as merely people who reject facts and observations that don't agree with their religious beliefs[/b']. Rejecting evolution is as stubborn as not accepting that I am typing this becasue it makes me uncomfortable or I just don't want to believe it.

To reject facts and observations because they disagree with your beliefs makes your beliefs delusional. People who twist all facts and observations to fit with a delusional system of thinking are, by definition, mentally ill.

Therefore creationists should be secured in mental health hospitals.

Tell them to run into the sea, after all, all they need is faith for the waters to part, right?

Lol!!! makes you wonder if some would take you up on the offer. After all, "faith is a virtue". Riiiight. Its a great virtue to believe in and potentially devote your life to something for which you have absolutely no solid proof for. Its a great virtue to follow something unquestioningly and (for some of our friends in the south) let it run your life.

I wouldn't go so far as to say creationists are mentally ill, unless religious fanticism or severe stubborness are mental illnesses. Ummm okay yeah they are.

I think of them as merely people who reject facts and observations that don't agree with their religious beliefs[/b'].

Which pretty well sums up the attitudes and actions of most geologists and pretty well all geophysicists when they rejected Wegener's theory of Continental Drift. Blind obstinacy is not limited to creationists, nor outwith the behaviour of scientists.