BA in Chemistry

whatlifeforme

I was contemplating majoring in chemistry when I go back to university. I don't want to do this physics (not that i don't like physics nor is it that i can't - just not interested in taking the classes).

Thus, I would do a Bachelors of Arts instead of science to avoid the physics. I was thinking pharmacy school after this, or stopping with Bachelors.

How does the difficulty change as one progresses through the major?

General Chemistry (not a big fan; made good grade without studying much; easy at cc) Organic Chemistry (took, dropped; loved it)
Physical Chemistry (not taken)
Biochemistry (not taken)
Analytical Chemistry (not taken)
Inorganic Chemistry (not taken)
Other Upper Levels.

How does the difficulty change from each? Is physical more like general than organic?
If chemistry major is anything like organic chemistry, then chemistry is definitely for me.

• 2 months later...

I suggest you to take chemistry as a major.I have good experience in this subject as a major.

while talking about the difficulty level every body has different approach.In my opinion general chemistry is easiest.I find difficult then inorganic because of too much reaction mechanisms.Physical chemistry seems very interesting to me.Analytical Chemistry is also not much difficult one can learn it by little effort.I find Bio Chemistry very tough because learning different structural formulas of similar compounds is inconvenient for me.

I studied for BA in chemistry (technically, I don't have a degree because I never went and collected it but I did the courses and passed all the exams.)

I assure you there was a lot of maths and physics in it.

You just can't really do chemistry without them.

Also, "I don't want to do this physics (not that i don't like physics nor is it that i can't - just not interested in taking the classes)."

suggests that you are not willing to put the effort in.

You shouldn't get any degree without working for it and I doubt that you will.

I'm not sure I'd want a pharmacist with that outlook.

why is chemistry a BA not BS?

I think the OP was saying that they didn't want to do chemistry via the BSc so that they could avoid the compulsory physics courses.

As for the OP, I would echo a lot of what John said and mention that you cannot hope to avoid having at least a partial competence in physics and math and doing courses in those subjects would be very beneficial to you and indeed necessary if you hope to do well. I would suck it up and just do the BSc.